Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

3 hours ago, Crixus said:

I agree with a lot of your post. However, you did use the term '3rd world hellholes' (post 135, page 7) and as someone from the so-called 3rd world, I find it offensive. I think you can convey the same message without using this phrase - and most especially, 'hellholes'. That is a straight up insult, and demeaning to billions of people. 

If you used it to convey how some people in developed countries perceive the rest of the world, perhaps I missed that. English isn't my first language. 

Ah this part, sorry about that :/ I don't randomly use these terms when speaking of other countries. Even the "3rd world" concept I (rarely) use as simplification with wider audience when I assume people might not get the subtleties - but I've seen how the world evolves and remember very well that even China was definitely considered as strictly "3rd world" in my youth. We're way more into a wide continuum between filthy rich technologically-advanced and dirt poor countries (and some of the former do just as bad as the latter when it comes to the pandemic.

I meant sarcastically that Westerners will have a low opinion of "3rd world" / developing countries, won't think much of their people for tolerating or putting into power "corrupt" or murderous rulers and will basically consider a lot of rulers as wannabe dictators - the kind of people you accuse of "murdering their own people", to be shipped to The Hague or bombed or overthrown by Western military. or some local coup

What I also implied, is that it turns out out own guys are doing pretty much the same thing, on a similar scale - I mean, covid is killing as many people as 9/11 in 3 to 4 days in the US. Yet the average citizen/voter doesn't seem to care that there's a bloodbath and what is tantamount to mass murder going on. It will be hard to sell me the "X is a bad man and a dictator who breaks human rights" angle against pretty much anyone who isn't committing downright genocide in front of the cameras, from now on, because our own leaders have a lot of blood on their hands, with a tiny few exceptions like NZ. Sadly, I'm probably going to be in the minority on this for a long time...

They finally did it!  The libs, with the fake news help of their masks, killed Christmas!  Damn them!  Damn them all! With many incoherent, mad words!

In the meantime, huge burning hell hole of Staten Island is going to have the holidays no matter what and eff you gov and mayor, so says rethug 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/12/staten-island-republican-thanksgiving-covid/

“I’ll be having more than 10 ppl at my house on Thanksgiving,” Joe Borelli, a Staten Island Republican who is the council’s minority whip ...."

Yet, guess what, girlz and boyz -- North Dakota nurses, despite what the state officials say, Do Not Want covid-19 positive, asymptomatic, lightly ill nurses working with them to care for the covid-19 patients in the hospital -- and want a mask mandate.  The North Dakota doctors beg the governor to close businesses such as bars and restaurants and sporting events.  The Minnesota governor, who shares the long border that is the Red River with North Dakota -- Fargo, just across the bridge from Moorehead, is far from the only town and community connected by bridges -- begs the governor to do the same and mandate masks, like he has.  Those demed Minnesotans -- always thinkin' they're better 'n us. We won't. we won't, we won't!

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Count me as pro being able to club people like baby seals on public transportation if they’re not wearing masks.

Unfortunately I only tend to see them off duty, or I'd be ticketing and fining like a mother fucker. 

So much for Sweden and let 'er rip / herd immunity:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/12/covid-infections-in-sweden-surge-dashing-hopes-of-herd-immunity

Expecting any day now to see out there those who are proponents of let 'er rip, keep the economy going humpin' those coffins, diggin' those graves, feedin' the orphans, teachin' the children and comforting the dying.  Coz that's the only way to do it and continue makin' the fula.

34 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They finally did it!  The libs, with the fake news help of their masks, killed Christmas!  Damn them!  Damn them all! With many incoherent, mad words!

In the meantime, huge burning hell hole of Staten Island is going to have the holidays no matter what and eff you gov and mayor, so says rethug 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/12/staten-island-republican-thanksgiving-covid/

Someone has a death wish! :)

I just caught 5 minutes of a CBC science program called Quirks and Quarks (I think you might hear it in some NPR stations) that I’m going to have to find when I get home, I’m at the garage getting my snow tires on my car. The discussion was about a group of chemicals called PFAS (sp). The initial bit I heard was about whether they were hormone disruptors affecting women firefighters because they are used in foam fire suppressors. There’s a whole class of them, and the chemical companies keep coming up with new ones. I think one of the early ones was shown to damage the ozone layer, so they stopped producing it and came up with ‘safer’ ones. 

The thing is, many chemicals don’t go through lengthy safety studies because that just delays progress, you know. You can’t wait 20 years to see what damage it might cause. A current member of the family, PFBA, is used in the foam firefighters use, and for waterproofing your jacket and your boots, and in ski wax and all kinds of other stuff. It was supposed to be superior because it did not accumulate in the blood, and so replaced a previous one that did.

Well, it turns out that initial studies are showing people with worse cases of Covid-19, people who are sick for weeks and who end up in serious condition in the ICU, have higher levels of PFBA in their bodies. Turns out the stuff does accumulate, not in your blood but in your lungs. More work has to be done, of course, on causation/correlation, it’s early days yet.

Pardon me if I have the initials wrong, I heard it on the radio and have no idea how to spell it correctly.

Shit just gets complicated.

2 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

I meant sarcastically that Westerners will have a low opinion of "3rd world" / developing countries,

It was anything but clear that you were using sarcasm for me.

While I do believe your explanation, please be more careful about throwing around terms like that.

English is my first language and I was still perplexed at the usage.

Eta: "Third world hellhole" is what was used not just "Third world".

Considering death rates lag infection rates by 10+ days, the current death rate in the USA reflects the period where infection rates were less than 100K/day. The death rates reflecting the 120K+/day situation is about 1 week away.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Unfortunately I only tend to see them off duty, or I'd be ticketing and fining like a mother fucker. 

Some people want to put the heads of govt officials on spikes outside of capitol buildings. I think the least one should do is club non-mask wearers on public transport over the head in one's spare time, if the heads on spikes standard is being brought back for high officials in govt who displease the monarch.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-measles-global/measles-surging-as-covid-19-curbs-disrupt-vaccinations-idUSKBN27S2TC

LONDON (Reuters) - Measles surged to infect almost 870,000 people across the world in 2019, the worst figures in almost a quarter of a century as vaccination levels fell below critical levels, a report said on Thursday....

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Considering death rates lag infection rates by 10+ days, the current death rate in the USA reflects the period where infection rates were less than 100K/day. The death rates reflecting the 120K+/day situation is about 1 week away.

Wouldn't it be more like 2-3 weeks? IIRC, 1 week would be hospitalization spike and then another week for the death spike.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf#:~:text=Using available preliminary data%2C,severe or critical disease.

Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease. Preliminary data suggests that the time period from onset to the development of severe disease, including hypoxia, is 1 week. Among patients who have died, the time from symptom onset to outcome ranges from 2-8 weeks.

Paper is from back in Feb, but I would think that should hold true -- could even be extended with improved treatment and therapeutics which ... we might have? I don't even know anymore. Probably not to treat folks at this scale.

Just saw this -- O man, NoDaks -- you sure are making the national news.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nurses-fume-after-north-dakota-lets-covid-infected-medical-workers-stay-on-the-job?

“I have heard that from a lot of people that they are at their breaking point. I think we are going to lose nurses from this. It has affected everyone in a different way,” she added....

These changes come even as elected leaders in North Dakota—which, according to one survey, has the lowest rate of residents using face coverings in the country—repeatedly refuse to institute a mask mandate or any other forceful COVID-19 mitigation plan.

One North Dakota nurse, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of professional retribution, said the state’s unprecedented step to allow those with the virus to treat patients “is short-sighted at best—and completely detrimental at worst.”

“We need state officials to take decisive, hard-line decisions to combat this virus or else our hospital system is completely going to collapse,” the nurse said, adding that she has several colleagues and friends who have had the virus. “Allowing health care workers with the disease to treat patients with the same disease is not going to help anything. It only makes the problem worse.”....

1 minute ago, Week said:

Wouldn't it be more like 2-3 weeks? IIRC, 1 week would be hospitalization spike and then another week for the death spike.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf#:~:text=Using available preliminary data%2C,severe or critical disease.

Paper is from back in Feb, but I would think that should hold true -- could even be extended with improved treatment and therapeutics which ... we might have? I don't even know anymore. Probably not to treat folks at this scale.

Yes, but there has already been 1 week of 120K+/day infection rate. The first 120K day was on 5 Nov, and the lowest day since then was 109K, which was the Sunday reporting day (I think) that is reliably below the weekly average.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Just saw this -- O man, NoDaks -- you sure are making the national news.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nurses-fume-after-north-dakota-lets-covid-infected-medical-workers-stay-on-the-job?

Are we talking about the infected treating the infected? As far as we know you can't get super-infections of the virus. So virus positive people working on COVID wards is not dumb, so long as the staff are asymptomatic, and isolated from the gen pop the same as the patients. But if we are talking about sick people treating sick people, that is not good at all.

How a state gets to a situation where they need virus positive staff to work is a different discussion that goes well beyond what's happening in hospitals.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Some people want to put the heads of govt officials on spikes outside of capitol buildings. I think the least one should do is club non-mask wearers on public transport over the head in one's spare time, if the heads on spikes standard is being brought back for high officials in govt who displease the monarch.

I think the deaths need to be much more visible, worldwide and directly ascribed to people - every time a politician talks on the TV, or the media talks about Trump, there should be a mandatory screen showing a person on a ventilator coding out, or a slideshow of the faces of the corpses, or stacks of bodies.

Same for things like the CMA or story of the maskless folk - just a calvacade of the failed citizenry, the dead next to the idiocy.  Maybe with a “We are choosing to lose this war. We are choosing to kill one another’s families and friends through selfish risks.”

Archived