Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

19 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

A serious reference (please do re-read that post!) on how you can get chlamydia or gonorrhea in your eyes or your throat if you go down on someone who has that.

Or trich. I know someone who got that from oral and had to notify her “very close contacts”. 

I took that part seriously, I just don't know who Mikey is lol.

“Some” North Dakota southwestern county sheriffs refuse to enforce mask wearing and other restrictions --

In a Saturday Facebook post, Hettinger County Sheriff Sarah Warner said her officers would not be enforcing the mandates with citations because "this is a health issue and should not be turned into a criminal issue."

One might think with cops this ignorant we have entered fully into the worst of stalinist russia's notably brutal and ignorant enforcers of everything from factory floor work shifts to apartment housing overseers, etc.

In North Dakota as everywhere else, driving while intoxicated is a criminal matter -- while being a health matter, as drunk driving in ND maims and kills many every year. 

But evidently not necessarily do these laws need to be enforced either.  In fact no laws necessarily need to be enforced by law enforcement, according to ND legal experts.

Sheriffs' departments statewide have the discretion to enforce or not enforce penalties against criminal acts, said Steven Morrison, a professor at the University of North Dakota School of Law. There are so many rules and laws to enforce that each law enforcement agency has a great deal of discretion to issue punishment against lawbreakers.

"If law enforcement successfully enforced every instance of criminal conduct in society, they would be overwhelmed and we would all be in jail," Morrison said. "The federal and state criminal code are so vast and cover so much that we commit crime all the time."

https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6764578-Some-North-Dakota-sheriffs-refuse-to-issue-citations-or-enforce-mask-mandate

Other law enforcement members are certainly right about this, however,  – the gub etc. left this go far far far too long to have people understand why they need to wear masks, not have a massive Thanksgiving, etc.

However, they are very careful not to further say what is even more true, because it is the foundational cause as to why they refused so long to endorse, if not at least mandate, these covid-19 protocols, is the politicians deliberately made it a political issue, not a health and a public safety issue. Therefore all this confusion of public and private/personal legal, health and economic misery, suffering and death, is directly on the politicians.  Moreover, these politicians did this for what they viewed as beneficial to their own political ambitions -- such as the ND gub wanting to make a run for the rethug POTUS nom in 2024.

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There are so many rules and laws to enforce that each law enforcement agency has a great deal of discretion to issue punishment against lawbreakers. If law enforcement successfully enforced every instance of criminal conduct in society, they would be overwhelmed and we would all be in jail.

This guy shouldn't try to be half as smart or half as brave as Jaime fucking Lannister, because he's not...

Dolly Parton should get a Nobel Prize:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/17/dolly-parton-partly-funded-moderna-covid-vaccine-research

"The country music icon’s $1m donation supported the latest breakthrough by Moderna and several research papers"

It’s truly the greatest gift of all: a $1m donation by Dolly Parton to coronavirus vaccine research supported the development of the Moderna vaccine, which shows 95% protection from the virus.

In April, Parton donated £800,000 to research after her friend Dr Naji Abumrad of the Vanderbilt Institute for Infection, Immunology and Inflammation at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee told her that they were making “some exciting advancements” in the search for a cure for the virus. Abumrad and Parton became friends in 2014 after the singer was involved in a car accident and treated at Vanderbilt.

Parton is yet to respond to the news. The Guardian has contacted representatives for the singer.

Whereas monster politicos boast they can kill someone in broad daylight in public and not even be prosecuted.  How more stark a contrast can one have?

Whelp...barring a last minute reprieve, I'm gonna join the furloughed on the unemployment train the week after Thanksgiving (because they're letting go us burn the last of our vacation before it becomes official...)

Be nice if the government could get their act together on possible relief...I need to know how hard to be looking i to a new career vs. riding the next few weeks out...

43 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Oh, no. Yikes. And you told some risks to stay with this company, too :(

Start looking, hardcore. *Now.* The government is doing nothing before January 21 and possibly might be strangled in relief efforts.

Also, you need to be able to slide in for interviews before the hiring managers all take time off for the holidays.

All true. I'm certainly looking!  

Problem I'm facing is in looking at a complete career course change.  Hospitality and Dining Service isn't recovering from this for at least a couple years...

Not really what I was looking forward to this holiday season...

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Haven't been in the career thread in a while...but I'll mosey over...though I can't remember what @Iskaral Pust does...

I think he's a project manager, but regardless, his advice is really helpful. And sorry to hear about the furlough man. 

:grouphug:

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yup, Isk always has good advice. His background is actuarial, and he’s doing something in investments now....all of which leads to good, objective thought processes.

As I believe accountants often have as well, but I admit to bias on that one ;)

Fun fact, in HS I passed a year long accounting class in under a trimester. I then got an internship at GM because their corporate HQ was right by where I grew up. After a month I concluded I would never be an accountant, not because the work was especially hard, but the people were dull as fuck. My mentor was cool, but he said most accounting firms were stocked with the most boring people on the planet.

Clearly you deviate from that, just a bit. :P

Two interesting research studies from my periodic reviews of major journals. This time they are both from Nature.

1. A case study of a family in Australia. The parents went to a weeding, got infected, brought the virus home. Both parents displayed symptoms and tested positive by PCR. The older children (aged 9 and 7) showed light symptoms, but despite repeated testing they always came back negative. The younger child (5 yo) never displayed symptoms neither tested positive despite sleeping with the sick parents. All children mounted robust antibody responses, indicating that they indeed got infected. There is a nice timeline of the evolution of the symptoms and the different testing applied. Link here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19545-8
  2. The other is the latest IFR estimate based on the best of the available data. Using also advanced statistic methodology they estimate the age-specific IFR finding it's consistent among countries.  The 1% IFR is reached for 60 years-old and continues to increase with age. It astounds me seeing some countries like Peru, Mexico and Ecuador having around 50% of the population already infected (according to the article). https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2918-0

On 11/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, maarsen said:

150% effective? Does it cure baldness too then?

lol. It is just that they are all one-upping each other, or so it seems. One can just extrapolate. I'm somehow doubtful of such fantastic figures. I tend to think that the real life efficacy will be very good but way lower than those estimates.

24 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Pfizer is now saying they're also 94 % effective :p

Actually, I think they said 95%.

When they first announced last week people here pointed out that they hadn’t completed their trial yet, and I pointed out that it would be in a week. Final numbers indicate 95% efficiency. They always said 90+. In other words, the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccines pretty well have the same results. 

38 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Pfizer is now saying they're also 94 % effective :p

They disappoint me. Maybe it's my fault by extrapolating using straight lines, a common mistake.

On a more serious note. Moderna reported that about the 10% of the participants are affected by "grade 3" events. That is, recipients will be bedridden for a day or two (source here: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/16/modernas-vaccine-efficacy-readout)

So, while the efficacy data looks good, there is still some unknowns regarding safety, as more serious events might be hidden in the tail of the distribution. Pfizer apparently compares favourably in that respect. Let's wait a bit more.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Actually, I think they said 95%.

When they first announced last week people here pointed out that they hadn’t completed their trial yet, and I pointed out that it would be in a week. Final numbers indicate 95% efficiency. They always said 90+. In other words, the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccines pretty well have the same results. 

BBC says 94. It doesn't really matter, I just thought it was funny :)

Welp. A friend of mine has the Covid. She is a wedding photographer and got infected a little over a week ago, by clients. While she was masked all day, the guests were not. Including the assholes who started packing into the indoor room where she was photographing the bride and her mother before the ceremony. She says her symptoms are mostly mild but the back pain is like getting punched in the kidney all day.

Wear your masks, folks.

The numbers in Number One YAY We're USA! won't be coming down for a very long time.  Instead YAY We're USA #1 the numbers will be going up for a very long time.  Thank you shoggoth. Fox Noose, etc, and your political enablers.  You all have earned execution at dawn.

"They don’t believe the ICU at Utah Valley Hospital is full of coronavirus patients."

So they invade the hospital and harass the staff. Continually.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/covid-truthers-try-to-invade-utah-valley-hospital-where-patrice-grossman-died?

A big red heart fashioned with five dozen Post-its was in one of the windows of the intensive care unit at Utah Valley Hospital when the conspiracy theorists pulled into a parking lot that they found to be suspiciously empty.

The heart was placed there by nurses to mark the room where one of their own died on Oct. 30. Neonatal intensive care nurse Patrice Grossman, who was born at the same hospital where she worked, had predicted when COVID-19 first arrived in America that she would be among the fatalities. She and seven other family members, beginning with her baby grandson, contracted it at home from out-of-state house guests who believed the virus is no big deal.

That belief is shared by the conspiracy theorists who made repeated visits to the hospital in recent weeks. They decided that the small number of cars outside the Provo facility was evidence that the pandemic is a hoax. They entered the hospital with video cameras seeking to film what they believed would be an equally empty ICU.

"We have an inordinate amount of phone calls that we’re receiving every day from the community wanting to know: Is your ICU really full."— Utah Valley Hospital administrator Kyle Hansen

“It’s conspiracy theorists that believe what they’re being told is not accurate,” hospital administrator Kyle Hansen told the Provo city council last week. “They’re determined to videotape and capture the proof of that by accessing our facilities. We’ve had some people get really creative in how they’ve lied about coming in for an appointment or other things.” ....

They did it.  They have done it all.  Well, and the utter lack of capacity to THINK at all in this anti-mask freedumb racist tRump worshipping sector of the public.

Archived