Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

Just announced -- NYC's mayor bowing to reality's necessity -- like PA is doing:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/18/world/covid-19-coronavirus#nyc-will-shutter-public-schools-on-thursday-as-virus-cases-increase

"Covid-19 Live Updates: N.Y.C. Public Schools Will Close Thursday as Virus Spreads"

But -- total STUPID!  This won't contain or stop the rising rates of infection, hospitalizations and deaths.

Still, the city is choosing to end in-person learning while allowing indoor dining and gyms to remain open at reduced capacity. Nonessential workers are also continuing to use public transportation to commute to offices.

21 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Haven't been in the career thread in a while...but I'll mosey over...though I can't remember what @Iskaral Pust does...

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think he's a project manager, but regardless, his advice is really helpful. And sorry to hear about the furlough man. 

:grouphug:

Apologies for off-topic: That description made me laugh so much.  Sometimes I worry that I’m not sufficiently incognito here because I post too openly about things that would easily identify me.  And then something like this reminds me I have nothing to worry about.  I should share this with my colleagues — it would slay them. 

I think @Chataya de Fleury is the only one who knows my career situation.  And she’s pretty discreet.

So disappointed in many of my friends. They're freaking out because we're about to go on a four week lockdown. And there seems to be no reasoning with them. 

Like so many have said, COVID isn't going to defeat us, but we can easily defeat ourselves. 

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Looks like Europe has started to turn things around, numbers are down almost everywhere.

Not here. Numbers are getting worse daily, despite being halfway through the second week of our new lockdown. Our hospitals are completely overwhelmed with cases. It certainly seems like people are treating this second lockdown as a joke. They finally closed elementary schools this week, first day of online teaching was a complete dud with the system crashing left and right. I find myself begging for schools to reopen end of the month, even if cases don't drop.

On a personal level, my dad got directly exposed to someone who later turned out to be positive last Tuesday. He's been quarantined and started developing mild symptoms Monday. Yesterday his chest started hurting. Xray revealed he's on the verge of pneumonia, for which he's been hospitalized twice before. he got tested yesterday evening, awaiting results later today.

Also, cousin of mine who's a nurse got infected at work, she is at home with a high fever and terrible headache and fatigue since Friday.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So disappointed in many of my friends. They're freaking out because we're about to go on a four week lockdown. And there seems to be no reasoning with them. 

Like so many have said, COVID isn't going to defeat us, but we can easily defeat ourselves. 

I think people are breaking down from that lack of feeling with safety and security.  And the cultural drumbeat is at war with it, in fact, powerful forces are serving it up.  I try to keep empathy with those that are freaking out and encourage healthy behaviors and whatnot.  

In the same token, I saw a social media post that said, "If these new lockdown restrictions are causing a severe change in your life, you are most likely the reason why we need these new lockdown restrictions."

9 hours ago, mashiara said:

Numbers are getting worse daily, despite being halfway through the second week of our new lockdown.

Unfortunately you won't see numbers go down that early into a lockdown due to the lag in cases/ hospitalizations.

Hope your dad feels better.

44 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I think people are breaking down from that lack of feeling with safety and security.  And the cultural drumbeat is at war with it, in fact, powerful forces are serving it up.  I try to keep empathy with those that are freaking out and encourage healthy behaviors and whatnot.  

In the same token, I saw a social media post that said, "If these new lockdown restrictions are causing a severe change in your life, you are most likely the reason why we need these new lockdown restrictions."

Word. I've seen a lot of people posting that they've generally returned to how life was before the pandemic and they're fine, so why do we need lockdowns. The selfishness in this country is off the charts. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Word. I've seen a lot of people posting that they've generally returned to how life was before the pandemic and they're fine, so why do we need lockdowns. The selfishness in this country is off the charts. 

It, just, boggles my mind.  That people are, like, literally choosing this hill to die on.

Well it does and doesn't, the need to feel safe and secure is strong, and self delusion, for some, might be the easiest way to achieve that.

Meanwhile, Sweden (who initially went with the herd immunity shenanigans) are being hit as hard by the second wave as anybody else. Not sure if that has been mentioned before. I wonder where our deranged reborn Northman went.

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

"If these new lockdown restrictions are causing a severe change in your life, you are most likely the reason why we need these new lockdown restrictions."

There is a bunch lot of people whose daily lives have suffered during this pandemic and their associated restrictions who have little to no fault in the failure to control it. From the children who cannot attend to school  to the elders who may not be able to see their relatives and are going to die in complete loneness this winter.

I'm starting to get madder at this constant bashing of normal people who have enough in with their lives and are just trying to go on as well  as they can. Sure there are assholes out there and we, as society are unable to agree in few things, but here are the government who are the most to blame, from ignoring the threat early on to be unable to lead and try to find some society cohesion.

3 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

There is a bunch lot of people whose daily lives have suffered during this pandemic and their associated restrictions who have little to no fault in the failure to control it. From the children who cannot attend to school  to the elders who may not be able to see their relatives and are going to die in complete loneness this winter.

I'm starting to get madder at this constant bashing of normal people who have enough in with their lives and are just trying to go on as well  as they can. Sure there are assholes out there and we, as society are unable to agree in few things, but here are the government who are the most to blame, from ignoring the threat early on to be unable to lead and try to find some society cohesion.

Oh yep.  I work with children and adults with severe mental health issues, the quarantining is a huge disruption that has really strong negative effects.  Needs aren't getting met.

This is where I am angry at our federal government (US based), because we could have focused and developed the infrastructure we needed with clear direction, instead we get strife.  

In the same breath, there is a not considerable small percentage of the US population who is not taking this seriously, who are making detrimental choices and are feeding into fear/misinformation.  They are kind of responsible also for the choices and decisions that they make and are responsible for the fallout of those decisions.  Especially when those decisions can adversely effect others up and to death.  I have empathy for them, I do, and I will encourage positive choices when I can.  In the same token, there are people who are doing the right thing, who lives are at risk and their reaction to castigate this group of people is warranted.

I know this isn’t a question of life and death and kind of a first world quarantine problem, but I need to go to the hair salon.
But dare I? Honestly, I have every intention to be extra careful because I’m not about to get covid for Christmas or during my trial period at work. But I also can’t go another three months without dying my hair. Or I can, and have a 5 inch circle of grey hair on top of my head.
My options are: 

- see a hair dresser in the city as usual, wear a mask, sanitize hands and trust that fortune really does favor the brave (hair salons are still open and one’s free to visit them, masks are mandatory)

- see a hair dresser in the country, wear a mask, sanitize hands and trust that fortune doesn’t favor Murphy (again, hair salons are still open, masks are mandatory and there’s obviously fewer people and fewer cases and a lower risk there) 

- buy supplies, attempt to do it myself, potentially ruin my bathroom and pray that I don’t screw up anything too badly (supplies will take weeks to procure, I’ve never colored my own hair and no I can’t ask anybody for help) 

Help me, covid thread, you are my only hope. 

really, any thought is helpful and no I can’t seem to make up my own mind. (Yes I know that’s pathetic)

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Unfortunately you won't see numbers go down that early into a lockdown due to the lag in cases/ hospitalizations.

Hope your dad feels better.

I know. It's just really depressing.

Good news on my dad, his covid pcr test came back negative! Huge relief, for sure. Now he needs to avoid ending up in the hospital with pneumonia.

No NO NO NO! NY restaurants and real estate howls!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/19/nyregion/coronavirus-crackdown-second-wave-ny.html?

And it's because we don't we'll have to have a prolonged lock down and probably mandated cadres of bringing out the sick and the dead. The medical people are just -- burned the eff out, and getting sick and more of them sick and dying.

This entire nation has erased 'inconvenience' from the language, and erased reality from life.  Because I want it so it is so.  Look at the goddamned 'leaders' such as shoggoth and his really awful lawyer, Giuliani, as they burn down the nation deliberately because things insist on being not what they want.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I know this isn’t a question of life and death and kind of a first world quarantine problem, but I need to go to the hair salon.
But dare I? Honestly, I have every intention to be extra careful because I’m not about to get covid for Christmas or during my trial period at work. But I also can’t go another three months without dying my hair. Or I can, and have a 5 inch circle of grey hair on top of my head.
My options are: 

<snip>

Depends a lot on where you live, but right now this is a very bad idea. You might not get sick or get your hairdresser sick, but you're also being exposed to a lot more than you would, people are going to be doing this exact sort of thing, and the colder weather means Covid is significantly more potent. 

There are healthcare workers right now begging for people to stop doing exactly things like this. They are on their last legs, suffering serious mental and physical exhaustion. They are asking for whatever help that you can provide them, and the biggest thing you can do is reduce risk

All the Smithsonian museums will be closed starting Monday. DC is at record cases for the 16th day in a row. Shutdown is coming but it has to be coordinated with Maryland and Virginia or it won't do anything. And also some financial help. It should happen now but I expect local leaders are too fearful because of the one two punch of Thanksgiving and Black Friday. 

In other news, I read this article this morning and shared it with a former coworker. The humidity angle is interesting  and also the exact  environmental conditions for my old cleanroom life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/11/18/winter-covid-19-humidity/

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meanwhile, Sweden (who initially went with the herd immunity shenanigans) are being hit as hard by the second wave as anybody else. Not sure if that has been mentioned before. I wonder where our deranged reborn Northman went.

To be clear, I do not believe that Sweden was ever pursuing herd immunity as a strategy. They were, however, hoping that some of the previous exposure would mitigate the second wave this fall, but that did indeed prove to not be the case.

Archived