Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Depends a lot on where you live, but right now this is a very bad idea. You might not get sick or get your hairdresser sick, but you're also being exposed to a lot more than you would, people are going to be doing this exact sort of thing, and the colder weather means Covid is significantly more potent. 

There are healthcare workers right now begging for people to stop doing exactly things like this. They are on their last legs, suffering serious mental and physical exhaustion. They are asking for whatever help that you can provide them, and the biggest thing you can do is reduce risk

Well sure, hence the crippling indecision and stress over such a banal issue.

2 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

@RhaenysBee 

Store bought hair dye is very easy to use and easy to cleanup if you mess up (just don’t buy henna, lol)

But you’ve been dying your own hair for twenty odd years, of course it’s easy :eek: I mean my hair dark brown and it’s dyed it’s natural color as the only reason I dye it is bad genetics and premature graying. So I can’t mess it up that badly right? :o 

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@RhaenysBee - make sure that your usual hairdresser is taking the standard precautions and go see him or her.

Take heart in the real-life situation in the US where 140 people were potentially exposed by two hairdressers. Hairdressers and clients both wore masks, and none of the 140 caught covid.

Drugstore dye can be quite harsh on your hair, and it’s also extremely difficult to know your correct shade.

During our lockdown, I ordered through a company called e-salon, which you may have something similar in your area. Coloring your own hair is a pain in the ass, and if you do try this route (for example, you are under lockdown and you must), then contact your hairdresser and get their recommendation on what to buy, then watch some online tutorials before you begin. I would not go this route unless in lockdown, though. 

I’m sure they are, I’m just conflicted because sitting for three hours at the hair dresser’s in the same enclosed space with at least 3-5 more people is really not the same as popping in to a grocery store for 5 minutes and buying bread in terms of risk and exposure. 

I would definitely order the exact same dye he uses on my hair and tools from a professional hair salon supplier, and probably phone to ask for advice. If I’m going to do it myself I should have a fighting chance at least, which I doubt I would with drugstore dyes I try to color match under neon store lights. I’ll lament on it for another day. 

thanks for the tips!  :cheers: 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m just conflicted because sitting for three hours at the hair dresser’s in the same enclosed space with at least 3-5 more people is really not the same as popping in to a grocery store for 5 minutes and buying bread in terms of risk and exposure. 

It is entirely different. And I wouldn't do it, and in fact, I'm not going to do it.  We're going into lock-down again, very soon.  Both Partner and I will at that point be ready for professional attention -- but we won't.

With the levels of infection so very very very high -- much higher even the previous Worst Time -- there simply is no way we're risking our lives for that.  There simply is no way to know whether a person is infected, mask or no mask, and it really isn't worth risking your life for.

Also -- air travel now.  It's nuts!  The arc is bending ever higher, every day, not lower.  It's just nuts to air travel. Or spend time with anyone you haven't been securely within the same bubble / pod for a very long time, and stays w/in it.  And knowing there will be a vaccine, even if not for such a long time yet -- well, there really is no reason to risk it at all.

Found out this morning that my brother and sister-in-law who live just outside Stockholm and work in it have covid at the moment. They'd come through the first wave without any scares but the second is clearly not so lucky. SIL is apparently on the mend and my brothers fever is coming down so hopefully they'll be ok. 

Showing my luck in where I live here in that this is the first non-online connection to have caught it.

3 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You often can't order from the professional salon supplier (they typically only sell to licensed individuals) but what you can always do is call your hairdresser, have him/her mix your exact formula, and take it "to go". If they mix the developer in with the formula rather than keeping it in a separate bottle, you have to use it fast.

This is true, but you can frequently find them on Amazon anyway...not that I advocate illegal purchases of hair dye, but you know, it is easier and cheaper.

Fauci -- everyone with any expertise and experience with covid-19, says stay home for Thanksgiving.  Do not travel.  Do not gather.

~~~~~~~~~~

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-updates-us-passes-250000-virus-deaths-as-europe-sees-a-small-signal-of-hope

"Coronavirus Updates: De Blasio Says Indoor Dining Likely To End Soon" 

This is when, he says, not if. It's the governor who will that call (state and city use different systems calculating numbers.). Why did they start it at all?

https://gothamist.com/news/all-nyc-could-soon-become-covid-orange-zone-heres-what-means

"All Of NYC Could Soon Become A COVID "Orange Zone." Here's What That Means"

Among other things it means, no indoor dining, which again, the mayor emphasized, is when it is closed down, not 'if it will be closed down.'

But these extended annexes are indoor too, with only a door hole open to the air, while many heat lamps of various kinds pump out hot, dry air.  Also lots and lots and lots of alcohol, which is the point, not the food, and the parties dance around 'their' table, howling and screaming without masks.

But it also means that gyms and bowling alleys can stay open, all places where there is a great deal of blowing out and taking in of aerosols,  but hair salons and mani-pedi salons cannot.

And --  schools cannot.

Seems to me this is all just asswards.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh hell. The US had 193,186 cases today, according to Worldometer. More shocking is the fact they report 2,065 deaths.

We could reach a point where we're having a 9/11 event everyday.

I guess with global daily death rates being higher than they have ever been since this all got started, and the USA blowing past 2000 deaths in a day for the first time since early May, "All I want for Christmas is you!" takes on quite a different meaning for a lot of families this year. Maybe it's this year's Christmas song. 

I hope you all get to safely be with everyone you want to be with at Christmas, Hanukkah, Saturnalia, etc.

And Thanksgiving for the US folks hereabouts.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

It is entirely different. And I wouldn't do it, and in fact, I'm not going to do it.  We're going into lock-down again, very soon.  Both Partner and I will at that point be ready for professional attention -- but we won't.

With the levels of infection so very very very high -- much higher even the previous Worst Time -- there simply is no way we're risking our lives for that.  There simply is no way to know whether a person is infected, mask or no mask, and it really isn't worth risking your life for.

Also -- air travel now.  It's nuts!  The arc is bending ever higher, every day, not lower.  It's just nuts to air travel. Or spend time with anyone you haven't been securely within the same bubble / pod for a very long time, and stays w/in it.  And knowing there will be a vaccine, even if not for such a long time yet -- well, there really is no reason to risk it at all.

Yes, I’ve settled on potentially screwing up my own hair as well and assume that this makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly I still have no sense or grasp of the severity of the situation, I suppose history will tell us how bad it was in reality. I have always strictly followed regulations and applied safety measures, and I still believe that compared to most of my peers I do overplay covid safety. Which is better than underplaying it. Beyond that, there’s absolutely nothing I can do but hope for the best and trust statistics/science/authorities (in spite of being continuously confused by the media). I have come to terms with a lot over the past couple months and for now I’m in a good place mentally about the whole pandemic ordeal (and I pray it stays that way, even though I know the virus will only come closer and there’s little chance that my family will be left unaffected. When that time comes I do hope it’ll be me and not either of my parents as statistically I have much better chances). 

luckily I’m not in a situation that’d force me to travel by plane. If I were though, I would fly to visit family for the holidays, take the necessary precautions, get tested at both airports, self isolate in a hotel, whatever I needed to do to visit home safely. I’m obviously not going to fly for leisure purposes, it’s not even allowed at the moment. 

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

Found out this morning that my brother and sister-in-law who live just outside Stockholm and work in it have covid at the moment. They'd come through the first wave without any scares but the second is clearly not so lucky. SIL is apparently on the mend and my brothers fever is coming down so hopefully they'll be ok. 

Showing my luck in where I live here in that this is the first non-online connection to have caught it.

I’m really sorry and I wish a quick, whole and safe recovery to your family! 

So my latest scary covid concern is over how a new shuttle service is going to be implemented at work. Our biggest parking lot is being turned into a new construction site for a manafacturing expansion, which is nice.

However with this expansion we are losing those parking spaces and a new replacement parking lot is not only not completed yet, it's also not big enough to accommodate our whole workforce. So with that reality, the company is going to start a shuttle service to make up the shortfall.

The first group that is slated for the shuttles will be the engineering dept.

I'm glad I'm not in that group really. How scary would it be to be stuck on a bus right now during the pandemic, with other potentially covid shedding workers?

I'm quite concerned that improper social distancing will be going on as people scram onto busses to race to work. The engineering dept has already been one of our worse performers for positive cases this year. I expect that trend to now compound.

STOP KILLING THE ENGINEERS ALREADY, we need those guys!

How scary depends on a few things (I acknowledge it's not ideal regardless).

How many people per shuttle? How many seats between people? How far is the trip? Will hand sanitizer be available on board? Can the shuttle windows be open? Will there be enough shuttles to accommodate social distancinng or staggered start times to prevent crowding/wait times?

I had to take a 5 minute shuttle ride for my onboarding in June. It didn't please me but there were only four people on board, including the driver. It wasn't the best, but it also wasn't the worst because we were all wearing masks and I had hand sanitizer once I got off at the building. Of course the current number cases makes it challenging and I'd be less thrilled if I were to onboard now. 

7 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

How scary depends on a few things (I acknowledge it's not ideal regardless).

How many people per shuttle? How many seats between people? How far is the trip? Will hand sanitizer be available on board? Can the shuttle windows be open? Will there be enough shuttles to accommodate social distancinng or staggered start times to prevent crowding/wait times?

I had to take a 5 minute shuttle ride for my onboarding in June. It didn't please me but there were only four people on board, including the driver. It wasn't the best, but it also wasn't the worst because we were all wearing masks and I had hand sanitizer once I got off at the building. Of course the current number cases makes it challenging and I'd be less thrilled if I were to onboard now. 

I don't have a lot of confidence in how well it's going to be implemented because the memo I read yesterday described a 2:30 to 3:00 window with the busses in 15 minute intervals. In reality eeeeeeveryone is going to try to cram onto the 2:30 and 2:45 busses because they will want to get on with the day and get out on time. Normal shift start is at 3:00 currently. Indeed I'm always at work and enjoying a coffee by 2:30 to ease into my shift. Those days will be gone likely.

My strategy is going to be to park into one of the overspill lots and hike up to the turnstiles rather than get onto one of the deathtrap busses. 

I'm from Wisconsin, we are acclimatized to these winters lol.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm the most proactive person in the station for shouting at people ignoring the rules. How the fuck did it happen to me?

You hang out with our sorts in the Covid-19 forum of ASOIAF social media?  :cheers:  And I really wish you were here to yell at our mayor and governor.

As we believed, the same bs is going on with de Blasio as in March, when he refused to issue shut-down orders (evidently the same disconnect from reality that had him thinking he should run for POTUS -- what is it now with political types from NYC, who are both deluded and harmful), and thereby many people died who probably wouldn't have.  He's doing the same damned thing again, stubbornly refusing to accept the advice of health officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/20/world/covid-19-coronavirus?

.... Last week, a group of health organizations and doctors sent a letter to Mr. de Blasio and Mr. Cuomo warning that they were waiting too long to impose new restrictions “to reverse the tide of new infections.”

The group, which calls itself the Covid-19 Working Group-New York, had urged Mayor de Blasio in early March to impose social distancing measures and restrictions, only to see the city wait, possibly costing thousands of lives. Now the group sees the current hesitancy for new restrictions — including the closures of indoor dining and gyms, which are both thought to give rise to a disproportionate number of infections — as a repeat of the spring.

“As we warned in our previous letter, non-pharmaceutical interventions can only save lives and preserve hospital capacity if the city acts early,” the letter read. “If we wait too long to implement these interventions, as the city did in March, we will suffer the same economic and social costs, but many more New Yorkers will die.”

City health officials begin calling for action....

....Options included closures of gyms and indoor dining at restaurants and other indoor gathering spots. Another has been for the mayor to simply drastically change his public tone and to encourage people to work from home and avoid indoor dining at restaurants, the official said.

But days kept passing without the mayor taking action. The mayor has largely acquiesced to the idea that restrictions on businesses must come from the governor. Mr. Cuomo has stuck to his plan to wait to impose restrictions until the city hits certain statistical thresholds.

Even the one big decision the mayor has made, to close schools, has caused consternation among many parents and some epidemiologists and public health officials who believe public schools should be one of the last institutions to close, not the first.

Little evidence has emerged to suggest that schools in New York City were driving much transmission, which the mayor and his top health officials readily acknowledge. In fact, cases detected among adult staff members at schools have outnumbered those detected among students, easing fears that the city’s public schools would play a major role in spreading the virus....

....“I’m shocked that City Hall seems to have learned so little from what happened in March,” said James Krellenstein, an H.I.V. activist and member of the Covid-19 working group who helped organize the Working Group-New York letters. “We don’t have time in an epidemic to dither.

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

In case you were worried about Christmas, rest assured! Dr. Fauci says that Santa Claus, because of his goodness, has innate immunity to Covid-19.

Thank heavens!

IIRC the entity known as Santa takes a new host when the old one suffers too much damage. 

Our pro chemist-entrepreneur friend in LA is sending us another THC/CBD Care package, just in time for lock down. Whew!  It's a beautiful day here again, after this string of honestly wintery days that were literally miserable, just like what we went through earlier this year.  So we were already much more cheery today. Then Our Friend called asked what we wanted.  :D  She also informed us, which somehow we didn't know, that JetBlue is resuming this weekend commercial flights to Cuba.

Also All The Things that have been wearing out, breaking, such as dish drainers, dish towels, floor mats, oven mitts, kitchen garbage can, etc., arrived today.  Other than the oven mitts, these things were all quite old, but not just usable, but in excellent shape last winter.  By this month though these last months' relentless wear and tear had taken their toll.

Well, Toronto goes into lockdown Monday at 12:01 am. Restaurants closed except for takeout, all non-essential services closed, all indoor organized public events and social gatherings are prohibited, except for members of the same household. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 10 people, as long as they can be socially distanced.

Places of worship will be restricted to 10 people indoors and outdoors. Our parish priest understood that it was being reduced to 50 (we have had 0 cases at our church and the RC church has had a rate of .0025%)

Public schools remain open, post-secondary institutions go to virtual learning only.

The initial period is for 28 days.

Archived