Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think a major concern about the vaccines produced by Moderna and Pfizer relate to the fact that normal vaccine development takes years because side-effects may take years to show up. People who get vaccines for themselves and their children hesitate because the question about long-term safety issues are the elephant in the room.

Few things. Moderna, Biontech (who actually developed the Pfizer vaccine) are RNA vaccines. Those have the big advantage that can really developed and produced in short turnarounds. They haven't been applied to humans yet, but they have invested in the method for a long while already, that's why they were able to develop the vaccine so quickly. Similar is the case of the vector vaccines (Oxford, Sputnik, J&J, etc). They all had the vector ready, with some of them actually wanting to develop it as a vaccine against MERS.  So, a lot of development was ready way before the pandemic.

The other reason why it has taken so short is the prevalence of the disease is relatively high. Particularly they started the Phase3 just about the time the cases started to spike again in the Northern Hemisphere. There was a really worry they will have to move around the world hunting for hot spots. Had people taken precautions seriously and refused to get infected :-) it would have been much more difficult to gather the data.

Yes, there is the issue of possible long term effects. I'm not very knowledgeable about that. There are other posters who might help. Sometimes I feel that scientists are missing something. It happens sometimes.

Reading the comments section to a story on the internet, someone was saying it’s already known that there are very few side-effects to vaccines made by the Pfizer/Moderna method because animal vaccines have been made for years, like the heart worm vaccine for dogs. Does anyone know more about this?

From what I understand the Pfizer vaccine is giving the milder side effects. Moderna is reporting 10% of their participants getting bedridden for a day or two. It seems that Oxford is being not very transparent, I'm hearing more rumours regarding "problems". 

Secondly, I’m watching US news on the Oxford vaccine and the comment was made that their vaccine may never be approved in the US because of the confused way they’ve been reporting results. While the rest of the world let trials to continue about a week after their ‘safety incident’ was reported earlier this year, it took the US 7 weeks to approve the continuation of testing. The marked differences in efficacy depending on the doses also is troubling, 90% versus 62%, for example.

There are weird things happening in the UK. Blame Johnson and his cronies I guess. There is a polemic regarding some of the mass testing that the government is pushing through https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4440 There are wild ideas of a Covid-Passport or something like that. So, who knows what is really behind the problem with the FDA.

Regarding the efficacy of the Oxford vaccine. Vector vaccines have the problem that the body might recognize the vector (a virus envelope) and attack it. It might well be that a first full dose stimulate a too strong immune response and the body "kills" the vaccine before it make its main job. A half a dose might be less strong and pass initially unnoticed by the immune system.

31 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Quantas is saying they will require people to prove they’ve been vaccinated before they can fly. I can imagine proof would be problematic for some people.

Someone should inform them that the current generation of vaccines might not prevent the infection neither that vaccinated individuals infects others.  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

58 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Someone should inform them that the current generation of vaccines might not prevent the infection neither that vaccinated individuals infects others.  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

Who cares? It will stop people having to share planes with dummies. 

Archived