US Politics - under the spell of The Count

Lykos

I know you do things rather differently than us 

Do you have the equivalent of our (uk) exit poll  which would predict the winner and what time is that normally revealed?

What time do the results normally start to come in?

What time do the interesting results normally come in?  ie the big swing states with lots of EC votes.

anything else I should be looking out for?

Trying to work out if Its worth staying up late for or getting up extra early.

10 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Do you have the equivalent of our (uk) exit poll  which would predict the winner and what time is that normally revealed?

What time do the interesting results normally come in?  ie the big swing states with lots of EC votes.

We do have exit polls but they're very very inaccurate at times and probably especially now given that people have been voting for weeks. 

Results can start showing up in some states pretty early. Florida will almost certainly be reported super early, for instance, and if Florida goes for Biden it's very very hard for Trump to win. But other states - particularly Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania - will almost certainly not be reported on election night as called. 

Chances are good that you shouldn't stay up and refresh your browser over and over again. There's gonna be a lot of mess.

ETA: there's a good 50+1 explainer on when you'll expect results from every single state:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

No Lykos made a thread first. 

Making another one because you don’t like another’s thread title is a uncalled for.

Wtf, it happens all the time when a popular thread gets closed, more than one person often opens up a new thread and they just close one. It really isnt a problem. 

13 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

We do have exit polls but they're very very inaccurate at times and probably especially now given that people have been voting for weeks. 

Results can start showing up in some states pretty early. Florida will almost certainly be reported super early, for instance, and if Florida goes for Biden it's very very hard for Trump to win. But other states - particularly Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania - will almost certainly not be reported on election night as called. 

Chances are good that you shouldn't stay up and refresh your browser over and over again. There's gonna be a lot of mess.

ETA: there's a good 50+1 explainer on when you'll expect results from every single state:

thanks.   was gonna watch on TV  not via the PC.   I think I may just get up early.

24 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Exit polls usually are made public around 5 to 6 EST.  While I wouldn't characterize them as "very very inaccurate," they can be misleading even in a regular cycle.  This cycle, obviously, required modifications, but they are trying to produce data that would be similar even though only about 35-40% max of the electorate will be voting in-person today:

To make the 2020 survey more representative, Edison Research has made modifications to the methodology it uses to carry out the exit poll for the National Election Pool, a news consortium made up of CNN, ABC News, CBS News and NBC News. [...]

To account for the large share of early in-person voters in critical states such as North Carolina, Florida and Texas, Edison Research has spent the past month conducting the same type of in-person interviewing that it does on Election Day at a random selection of early voting locations around eight states. The consortium first used this procedure to capture the opinions and vote choices of early voters in 2018 in Nevada and Tennessee. Those voters are answering the same questions that voters will be asked on Election Day.

To account for the large number of by-mail voters, as well as early voters in states where in-person early voter interviewing is not possible, the exit polls will also include the results of telephone polls targeted at these voters. Edison Research has conducted such polling for use in exit polls in states with significant shares of absentee and early voters since 2004.

The accuracy/reliability of this effort is anyone's guess.

37 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

So we're banking on "Florida man/woman" to make a sane and rational choice?

Yikes.

55 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Ugh, I feel you. Every four years I try to figure out whether to stay up late or get up early, and the answer always seems to be “whichever is the most inconvenient time for you, that’s probably when it’ll be”.

I’m gonna stay up till around 12 midnight GMT and see how it’s looking, then maybe get up at 3 or 4am again. I slept through the night for the Brexit vote as the polls reliably told us it was a Remain win, and I just can’t handle having the news in one gut punch when you wake up.

2016 it seems like 12-3am things gradually looked better for Trump, then he took Ohio at 3:39, and a few more by 4am that made Hillary’s path very difficult. But the complication of the volume of mail-in votes (71%) and the different rules in every state as to when they count them (see @Killjoybear link) means it’s very difficult to answer.

EDIT: Out of interest to people here have a preferred network to watch it on? I’m debating between CNN and BBC, I quite like the full US experience of CNN (do they still run commercials on CNN international though?) but BBC have always been very clear for me.

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Out of interest to people here have a preferred network to watch it on?

Not really.  I usually flip back and forth between CNN and MSNBC depending on if whoever's talking at a certain point annoys me - while periodically checking in on FNC to keep tabs on what batshit they're reporting.  In recent cycles I've much preferred Steve Kornacki at MSNBC to John King at CNN in terms of who's running point on the decision desk and interpreting the results, but I honestly don't know if either is doing it tonight (haven't watched much cable news the past four years for..some reason).

according to bookies dot com - 

Trump remains a heavy betting underdog with +150 odds on the eve of the general election. Those odds improved Monday morning after sitting at +160 for most of the weekend. Biden is still in command as a -195 favorite, up from -190 last Thursday.

Trump has held dozens of rallies over the past several weeks in the hope of flipping the race down the home stretch. But any boost he’s received as a result of all those airport speeches isn’t showing up in polling or betting odds in a significant way.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They don't start reporting official returns until after California (or Hawaii?) polls close right? So what time will that be? California is 3 hrs ahead of us by the clock, but if course yesterday by the day.

They start reporting individual state returns once polls close in those states, so we'll start getting returns around 7-8PM East coast time. 

Right, so that probably means I'll be able to call the election while most people in the US are asleep, if you can get to sleep. in 2016 I called the election before I went home from work, which means 8PM for west coasters. So, maybe a lot of people won't be sleeping.

Archived