US Politics - A Dream of Swing

Disturber of Peace

While Biden has pulled ahead in WI and appears to be somewhat narrowing the gap in MI, Trump is now within 9k votes in NV per Silver.  I really hope that is just temporary and a would-be 270-268 win doesn't turn into a 264-274 loss.  Of course a big comeback win in GA, PA and/or NC could make that moot.

4 minutes ago, Wethers said:

While Biden has pulled ahead in WI and appears to be somewhat narrowing the gap in MI, Trump is now within 9k votes in NV per Silver.  I really hope that is just temporary and a would-be 270-268 win doesn't turn into a 264-274 loss.  Of course a big comeback win in GA, PA and/or NC could make that moot.

Looking at Nevada, the Republican counties have had more votes counted than Las Vegas and Reno... so I think the Democrats are safe-ish there.

3 minutes ago, Wethers said:

Supposedly the remaining ballots are mostly mail-ins from Clark County which should skew Biden.

If Trump loses WI by just a few thousand votes, and also loses the election. How pissed is he going to be at Jo Jorgensen? Indeed her vote count could easily be greater than a Biden winning margin in MI and PA as well. I don't know how long it's been since a Republican could try to blame losing the election because of a 3rd party "stealing" votes from them. But this could be one where they look for a scapegoat. Libertarian voters, and Jo Jorgensen may need to keep their heads down for a while if Biden ends up taking the win. Biden supporters may want to very quietly raise a glass to Jo to thank her for helping to make Joe the president, if that's the way it goes.

There is possibly a case to be made that Perot cost bush Snr his second term. 19% of the vote, that is not a small amount of votes.

I just woke up after 3.5 hours of fitful sleep, but I take it Biden's odds have improved a fair bit? It looks AZ was called, GA is still a tossup, NV starting to look good, WI probably Biden, and my home state of MI should pull through? Too tired to figure out if Biden will still need PA after all that (probably yes)

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I just woke up after 3.5 hours of fitful sleep, but I take it Biden's odds have improved a fair bit? It looks AZ was called, GA is still a tossup, NV starting to look good, WI probably Biden, and my home state of MI should pull through? Too tired to figure out if Biden will still need PA after all that (probably yes)

No. He's at 270 with Michigan. 

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

If Biden gets NV, MI and WI then trump can have PA. Biden will want PA though, I would have thought, being his home state. maybe instead of wishfully thinking Ohio was in play he should have tried to shore up PA.

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

I don't think he needs PA?

AZ, NV, WI, and MI carry him over...admittedly I'm also looking at this half-awake...

Wow. Got sleepy last night and dropped out earlyish. This is not a good morning.

I am optimistic Biden prevails, but fuck. I was really hoping for a senate swing too. Fuck my expectations. How do we fix this god-damned mess? I have tried so, so hard to understand the enthusiasm for Trump - not just Rs, but Trump specifically and it is beyond me. Sometimes I think I get close, and I can better understand 2016 votes, but this is now utterly beyond me. And if I don't understand it, how can I work to make it better? Yeah, feeling pretty demoralized, even if Biden pulls the win.

4 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Where are you seeing these positive numbers? I see Biden down big in PA and MI...

A small good thing about this morning is that the BBC has come out and described Trump's ramblings about voting fraud as false and unsubstantiated.  It seems finally (partly and imperfectly) to be learning from the criticism of its handling of climate change and the Brexit referendum that just repeating what a politician says isn't good journalism. 

Just now, Relic said:

Where are you seeing these positive numbers? I see Biden down big in PA and MI...

There is almost 2 million votes outstanding in PA, and MI still has a lot outstanding (not sure exactly how much), but the remaining vote looks really good and apparently democratic turnout in Detroit was massive.

2 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Wow. Got sleepy last night and dropped out earlyish. This is not a good morning.

I am optimistic Biden prevails, but fuck. I was really hoping for a senate swing too. Fuck my expectations. How do we fix this god-damned mess? I have tried so, so hard to understand the enthusiasm for Trump - not just Rs, but Trump specifically and it is beyond me. Sometimes I think I get close, and I can better understand 2016 votes, but this is now utterly beyond me. And if I don't understand it, how can I work to make it better? Yeah, feeling pretty demoralized, even if Biden pulls the win.

I think I am right in saying that the only majorities Trump (Republicans in general) has are white people, and low educational achievement people. So some thinking about why that is, might be useful.

I think I'm gonna try to sleep for a bit.  Good news - it's looking very likely Biden is going to get to at least 270.  Also, I think shifts we've seen just in the past couple hours in Wisconsin and Michigan should emphasize Biden has a very good chance of still winning Pennsylvania and even Georgia.  His margins and turnout of the outstanding urban areas should not be underestimated.

The bad news - first, second, third, to infinity - the fact it's this close means we are going to be inundated with court challenges in a number of states from Trump's lawyers, and there's the very real possibility the SC aids and abets Trump stealing the election from the legitimate winner.

Less mentioned bad news - it's looking like the GOP will gain seats in the House.  I mean WHAT. THE. FUCK.  Also, obviously, it's indescribably depressing the the GOP retained the Senate and the current Supreme Court will remain unchanged for at least 2 years and very likely 4 years.

Archived