US Politics - A Dream of Swing

Disturber of Peace

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

There is almost 2 million votes outstanding in PA, and MI still has a lot outstanding (not sure exactly how much), but the remaining vote looks really good and apparently democratic turnout in Detroit was massive.

Link please? 

@DMC yup I heard 6 seats. Apparently super powering a pandemic is a popular governance approach? Without the senate I don't see any chance of fixing the structural problems or fixing the court, so things are looking pretty fucked even if Biden does get it.

I know this may seem a little late, and I know whoever the winner, there’ll be a lot of criticism of the polls, I’ve had friend point out to me so far they hadn’t radically off point.

Trump out performed by three more republican swing states leaning states that predicted him around a two point lead.

And it should be noted as much as 2-3 percent is tossed around the margin of error can be argued to be around 6.

11 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Nevada, Michigan, and Wisconsin get Biden to 270-268. Pennsylvania (and Georgia) are the buffers - you really don't want a two vote margin.

I edited to say Biden will also want PA. But under normal circumstances he shouldn't need anything but 270. Cs get degrees, and all that.

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

Why is Nevada not counting anymore till Thursday? I don’t really follow why a lot of these percentages are just frozen, should I have a nap now? Any of these states gonna announce anytime soon?

I think you can have a nap. It'll take a while.

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

@DMC yup I heard 6 seats. Apparently super powering a pandemic is a popular governance approach? Without the senate I don't see any chance of fixing the structural problems or fixing the court, so things are looking pretty fucked even if Biden does get it.

The Senate was always a long shot. Most of us were hopeful because it mattered so much after Ginsburg's untimely death, but it was always going to be a long shot.

On the plus side... Biden as president is still a win. It should at least prevent some of the madness. And if I understand this correctly, there's still a decent chance of the entire Congress going to the Dems in 2022 (yeah, I know it's a Mid-term, so not a given at all, but it's still a decent chance apparently).

The question now though is how the legal battles play out. I'm too exhausted rn to look at what the courts in WI or MI look like for instance, but this is the next thing to look out for imho.

Assuming (as I think) that Biden edges it, he'll face a lot of problems with a Republican Senate and a hostile Supreme Court. And, mid-terms would probably see the Republicans extend their Senate lead (despite 2016 being a good year) and flip the House.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Less mentioned bad news - it's looking like the GOP will gain seats in the House.  I mean WHAT. THE. FUCK.  Also, obviously, it's indescribably depressing the the GOP retained the Senate and the current Supreme Court will remain unchanged for at least 2 years and very likely 4 years.

It's more than depressing- it's horrifying. A Republican Senate means they get to sabotage economic recovery (there will be little to no stimulus) and then run on the poor economy it in 2024. Who knows what monster they'll nominate the next time. Trump has proven there's a clear path to the White House for a candidate espousing aggressively racist, retrograde views. Imagine going up against a Republican with all of Trump's bigotry but none of his manifest incompetence and boorishness. Biden's margin of victory is probably in Trump's personal distastefulness, not his policies. 

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Assuming (as I think) that Biden edges it, he'll face a lot of problems with a Republican Senate and a hostile Supreme Court. And, mid-terms would probably see the Republicans extend their Senate lead (despite 2016 being a good year) and flip the House.

Yeah.

This kinda nilfs much of what Biden could even do if elected.

And Republicans have openly opined to sabotaging any economic recovery under a democratic president.

It won’t matter much why the economy would be doing poorly.

Biden will get the blame.

3 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Who knows what monster they'll nominate the next time.

Let's not rule out another Trump bid.
Hey, this article is funny... In a dark sort of way... But suited to the moment, perhaps?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/04/ok-america-so-what-the-hell-happens-now

Still, let no one suggest a democracy contested by two men in their mid- to late-70s is in some ways beginning to look a little necrotic. Yes, it would have been nice to have had at least one candidate whom no one had accused of sexual assault – but you had to be deeply comforted that one of the candidates had been accused of literally dozens more sexual assaults than the other one.

Archived