US Politics - A Dream of Swing

Disturber of Peace

One of my friends is an ER doctor.  She said last night that two older men were (separately) admitted to the ER with heart palpitations and high blood pressure.  Indications were that it was from stress because they insisted that their guy wasn't going to win the White House.  They were from opposite parties. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Speaking of Wisconsin.

So all the votes are counted and the polling was off something like 9 points in Wisconsin. 5 or 6 in Florida. 8 in Ohio. 

Can we talk about how bad the polling is NOW, @DMC?

46 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

The strategy of the Dems seems absolutely flawed. Essentially running as "not Trump" and kind of remaining invisible until the last month or two certainly did not pay off.

Yes, I remember bringing that up in these threads, and everyone responded with"This time is different, now people have seem what Trump does." But the rather mundane adage that you have to run on something positive, still seems to hold true. 

Watching Democracy Now.

Ben Jealous: Trump heavily outspent Biden 10:1 in FL with LatinX voters in Spanish speaking media. Had Spanish-language ads there 1 month before Biden. Pence went there multiple times. Leaders, e.g. in Venezuelan community kind of acknowledge the politics, but say: "Yeah, we hate them, but at least we know these guys!" (I paraphrased the first part of the sentence.)

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're mad because Pelosi copied McConnell's strategy?  I thought imitation was supposed to be flattering.  Also, at least every Democratic president has been legitimate by winning the popular vote.

No, its what I would expect, like I expected that McConnell would try to thwart Obama's agenda, as the GOP did the same with Clinton and the Dems did the same with Reagan.  I'm more anticipating how the Democrats will find all the things they did to Trump to be completely awful and unfair if they are done to Biden...which I don't anticipate, because I don't expect the GOP will behave the same way the Dems did after Trump's 2016 win. 

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

No one really knows what strategy would really be effective because the Electoral College and the decades of propaganda and a sustained assault on voting rights have so stacked the deck against Democrats. You need a catastrophe like Covid or the 2008 financial crash to even dent the wall of Economic Magical Thinking and White Racial Resentment.

Those things are called freedom, science lover! 

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

NPR just announced GA has 200,000 ballots left to Count with a 100,000 vote margin between Trump and Biden.

GA ain’t over.

I dont understand yet where many of those votes are outstanding and if Biden can win it by a 150k-50k margin. The Upshot needle still seems to think Biden wins by 0.4, I wonder if this is some data analytics mess up.

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How is the Democratic Party going to respond to the lack of enthusiastic support from Latino voters?

Personally, I'd want to see how states like TX and AZ break down. FL is a fucking weird outlier, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

No, its what I would expect, like I expected that McConnell would try to thwart Obama's agenda, as the GOP did the same with Clinton and the Dems did the same with Reagan.  I'm more anticipating how the Democrats will find all the things they did to Trump to be completely awful and unfair if they are done to Biden...which I don't anticipate, because I don't expect the GOP will behave the same way the Dems did after Trump's 2016 win. 

Oh, ffs.

Trump ran as openly racist POS. So of course the inaugaration wasn't worth attending. Did Biden call people rapists and murderers? No? Then stop comparing apples to oranges.

He was a divisive POS, so he did not deserve any courtesy whatsoever, and he has proved that point over and over and over again during the past four years. Any Democrat, who didn't have to be there (like the Obamas) should be ashamed of themselves for attending.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How is the Democratic Party going to respond to the lack of enthusiastic support from Latino voters?

Throw LGBTQ people under the bus, if the "stop playing identity politics" crowd has their way.

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Personally, I'd want to see how states like TX and AZ break down. FL is a fucking weird outlier, imo. 

Again, the Latinx community is very diverse, and South Florida Cubans skew that state's results. 

12 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

Can we talk about how bad the polling is NOW, @DMC?

I'm not your mommy.  I just prefer to wait to do post-mortems until after all the votes are counted, not just Wisconsin's.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

as the GOP did the same with Clinton and the Dems did the same with Reagan.

This isn't accurate.  While I may not be a fan of the results, Tip O'Neil and Reagan (or more accurately his staff) worked together and so did Gingrich and Clinton.  McConnell is the one who escalated the obstructionism, that's inarguable.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

which I don't anticipate, because I don't expect the GOP will behave the same way the Dems did after Trump's 2016 win. 

LOL, hohkay.  This coming not 10 hours since Trump stated American's votes should stop being counted and not a one GOP elected official said a peep about it.  Those guys definitely are all about class.  I remember when Obama was elected and tried to address Congress this very genial GOP congressman politely told him his assertions were inaccurate.

56 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I found that response, replied to it last night, and I said: this is a great night. I hope we never hear from you again.

Having had similar exchanges with his office, plus some where his staff accused me of lying about my identity on the phone when I called about issues, all I can say is amen to that.

According to the Arizona Station News Report.

The remaining vote in Arizona is the election day ballot dropoff.  Arizona voters can vote by mail/dropbox or they can vote in person, or they can bring their absentee ballot to the polling station and drop it off there.  This third group is what is remaining.  In previous years, this was a Democratic leaning group, but it's unlikely that it will be this time.  However, (to speculate) I would think that it would be more dem leaning than the actual in-person voters.  Hard to say if that group is likely to vote Trump +20, but it sounds unlikely to me. 

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

It seems Biden underperformed, as compaired to Sec. Clinton in 2016, in largely Latino counties on the Texas Mexican border.  It is an “enthusiasm gap”?  Deliberate voter suppression?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, the Latinx community is very diverse, and South Florida Cubans skew that state's results.

Which is why I zeroed in on TX and AZ, and referred to FL as an outlier. :p

Archived