US Politics - A Dream of Swing

Disturber of Peace

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

No, its what I would expect, like I expected that McConnell would try to thwart Obama's agenda, as the GOP did the same with Clinton and the Dems did the same with Reagan.  I'm more anticipating how the Democrats will find all the things they did to Trump to be completely awful and unfair if they are done to Biden...which I don't anticipate, because I don't expect the GOP will behave the same way the Dems did after Trump's 2016 win. 

What behaviors are you explicitly talking about here?  Dems had no power when Trump took office, the house has passed dozens of bills that are on McConnel's desk, and they have tried working with the Senate on multiple things.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

This isn't accurate.  While I may not be a fan of the results, Tip O'Neil and Reagan (or more accurately his staff) worked together and so did Gingrich and Clinton.  McConnell is the one who escalated the obstructionism, that's inarguable.

LOL, hohkay.  This coming not 10 hours since Trump stated American's votes should stop being counted and not a one GOP elected official said a peep about it.  Those guys definitely are all about class.  I remember when Obama was elected and tried to address Congress this very genial GOP congressman politely told him his assertions were inaccurate.

Hmmm.  How is that different than the 100000000 Trump is called names?  YOU think its different because you think the names that Trump is being called are accurate, but not everyone believes that, as you see that Biden is eeking out a win here, no landslide in sight.  Which is one of the many reasons this country is doomed, everyone joined Trump in the gutter, instead of treating him like an anomaly, and preserving most of the normal protocols and niceties, the Dems went batshit, decided that all bets were off and they would out Trump Trump, and here we are.  System Broken no matter who is in power going forward.  

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

You're clinging to a narrative from the primaries that has no relevance here. This isn't about Biden being a candidate. He was the candidate. I've seen no one call for Sanders, Warren, Harris, or anyone else. 

The strategy of the Dems seems absolutely flawed. Essentially running as "not Trump" and kind of remaining invisible until the last month or two certainly did not pay off.

You didn’t answer the question.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Hmmm.  How is that different than the 100000000 Trump is called names?  YOU think its different because you think the names that Trump is being called are accurate, but not everyone believes that, as you see that Biden is eeking out a win here, no landslide in sight.  Which is one of the many reasons this country is doomed, everyone joined Trump in the gutter, instead of treating him like an anomaly, and preserving most of the normal protocols and niceties, the Dems went batshit, decided that all bets were off and they would out Trump Trump, and here we are.  System Broken no matter who is in power going forward.  

Trump is a horrible human being.  He always has been.  I don’t call him names.  His own name is damning enough.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It seems Biden underperformed, as compaired to Sec. Clinton in 2016, in largely Latino counties on the Texas Mexican border.  It is an “enthusiasm gap”?  Deliberate voter suppression?

I don't know. Maybe someone with a bigger brain than me has figured it out already, but AZ flipped and TX was the closest it's been in how long? I don't know if there's a magical solution there, but it appears to be trending in the right direction. 

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

WTF are you even talking about?  Where is this name calling happening?  What do you mean "out Trump Trump"?

This is just pulled from your ass horse shit.

He goes on to say that there are about 1.16 million ballots left to count in PA.  The previous benchmark was that Biden needed 72% of them to win the state.  He won 86%.  So he's more than on track and the margin he needs in the remaining ballots is declining. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Same thing applies though. That bloc is far from monolithic. 

Yeah, and can be said about pretty much any racial subgroup. Not really sure what you're arguing with here, Ty.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

WTF are you even talking about?  Where is this name calling happening?  What do you mean "out Trump Trump"?

This is just pulled from your ass horse shit.

It's so uncivil to apply mean names to the guy who literally built his campaign on applying insulting names to his opponents.

6 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I don't know. Maybe someone with a bigger brain than me has figured it out already, but AZ flipped and TX was the closest it's been in how long? I don't know if there's a magical solution there, but it appears to be trending in the right direction. 

Actually, seeing Texas on the verge of something like this is a condemnation of Beto for not challenging for Senator this year.  If he'd done that, Texas looks different today.  

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Dems seem to have gone to FL and target LatinX voters really late, as I quoted above.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's so uncivil to apply mean names to the guy who literally built his campaign on applying insulting names to his opponents.

Like I said, Trump should have been treated as an anomaly, not have the Democrats get down in the gutter and sling vulgar insults at a sitting president, however nutty he happens to be. Now all the civil discourse parameters that used to apply are dead.  How is that of benefit to anyone in the long term, beyond the short term buzz people got by name calling Trump right back?

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Like I said, Trump should have been treated as an anomaly, not have the Democrats get down in the gutter and sling vulgar insults at a sitting president, however nutty he happens to be. Now all the civil discourse parameters that used to apply are dead.  How is that of benefit to anyone in the long term, beyond the short term buzz people got by name calling Trump right back?

An honor code and civility only works when both sides abide by it. When one side acts like bullies with no honor or morality, it’s very hard to take the high road.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What Democrats got down in the gutter? There's a difference between Democratic voters and Democratic leaders.

Civil discourse died long before Trump, or have you forgotten all the insults leveled at Obama by actual Republican officials?

23 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

According to the Arizona Station News Report.

The remaining vote in Arizona is the election day ballot dropoff.  Arizona voters can vote by mail/dropbox or they can vote in person, or they can bring their absentee ballot to the polling station and drop it off there.  This third group is what is remaining.  In previous years, this was a Democratic leaning group, but it's unlikely that it will be this time.  However, (to speculate) I would think that it would be more dem leaning than the actual in-person voters.  Hard to say if that group is likely to vote Trump +20, but it sounds unlikely to me. 

According to 538:

Shift in results

The very first batch of results on election night is expected to be early and absentee votes, which will likely lean Democratic. Then, the results may shift toward Republicans later in the evening as Election Day votes are counted. However, they may then shift back toward Democrats in the days after the election as the last few absentee ballots are tallied.

If we are closer to the last part then I'll feel better

Archived