US Politics - Poll Position

Relic

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just caught part of an interview on the CBC radio show As It Happens, which I think NPR might carry. They were interviewing an absolutely obnoxious POS named Santiago somebody, who’s the head of some Latino Republican organization in Florida. The interviewer was asking how people in his community felt about some of the things Trump has said and done, and his answers were so arrogant, along the lines of lying MSM, I wonder how the female interviewer kept her voice calm.  He really made his disdain for her apparent. The final question was about Trump’s comments about Mexicans and other Central American people and how the community felt about children being separated from their parents and locked up in cages. His response was that Obama built the cages and locked up the children, not Trump, and all the pictures were from the Obama era. And that the interviewer should treat him with courtesy and her false comments were very discourteous and he was ending th interview there and then and have a nice day [you lying bitch just hung in the air].

With that attitude in the Republican Latin community in Florida I don’t see much headway being made there by Democrats.

Honestly no.

Honestly, trying to win expect to win Republicans seems a losing gambit. Independents should be focused on.

One election is not the end of the war.  The battles MUST continue and they surely are here where I live. Flotillas of cop copters constant for hours because there is a demo for COUNT EVERY VOTE going on.

In the meantime, the running against dead Fidel in Florida strategy does seem to have paid off. In Florida, not here, though of course the only borough among all the others that came out mad strong for Biden - Harris -- and even the Working Families party, that came out mad strong for rumptydump was, as usual Fort Apache.  No the Fort Apache of the 1981 Bronx, but Real World Real Life Staten Island, where o so many cops live . . . .

You don't need the sound, though it does sort of enhance. Sort of.

Here @Cas Stark, since you couldn't find your receipts on Democrats being as disrespectful as Trump, I thought I'd look them up for you.

You said:

The questions are ridiculous that's why.  Jesus Christ.  There was an elected Democrat who wished Trump would be assassinated.  Biden calls him a clown. Multiple Democrats refused to attend his inauguration.  Pelosi says he needs to be examined by a team of psychiatrists.  He's been routinely compared to Hitler by elected Democrats in Congress and elsewhere, not even to mention being called a racist and a sexist every week.  What would be the point of ne categorizing all of this only for you to tell me that you believe all of those things are true, therefore they don't represent a digression from normal political discourse.  

So let's take a look!

1. "There was an elected Democrat who wished Trump would be assassinated."

This is true! A state senator from Missouri. That's kind of an obscure person, but sure. That's an elected Democrat. She said it in the comments of a Facebook post. She deleted the comment, apologized, and was condemned by members of her own party. Meanwhile, the current US Senator from Georgia, David Perdue, who also acted like he couldn't pronounce Kamala Harris's name after serving on the Judiciary Committee with her for years, once wished death upon Obama at a prayer breakfast. A fucking prayer breakfast. And he got a laugh: 

Sen. David Perdue, a freshman senator from Georgia, opened his remarks at the Faith & Freedom Coalition’s Road to Majority conference by encouraging attendees to pray for President Obama. But, he added in a joking tone, they need to pray for him in a very specific way: “We should pray for him like Psalms 109:8 says: May his days be short,” the senator said, smiling wryly.

The crowd chuckled and he moved on with his address.

The rest of that passage, which Perdue did not recite, reads, “May another take his place of leadership. May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow. May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes.”

No word if Perdue was censured by his own party. I wouldn't hold my breath.

2. "Biden calls him a clown."

Yes. During a debate in which Trump constantly heckled and interrupted him and during an exchange in which Trump attacked Biden's son and personally accused Biden of taking money from the Russians. And then Biden expressed regret for calling him a clown.

3. "Multiple Democrats refused to attend his inauguration."

Yes. A bunch did. Some Republicans skipped Obama's inaugurations too. It happens. Clutch my pearls! John Lewis skipped Trump's inauguration, so Trump skipped his funeral. And Elijah Cummings' funeral. And the funerals for John McCain and Barbara Bush -- but he has an excuse, he wasn't invited, because he's a fucking monster with no parallel in American history, who couldn't even behave decently to people from his own party who wouldn't kiss his ass.

4. "Pelosi says he needs to be examined by a team of psychiatrists."

You mean Pelosi invoked the 25th Amendment to evaluate the President's mental fitness to serve? Right after he announced there would be no Covid stimulus and then hours later started tweeting about how there should be a stimulus? That sounds fairly reasonable to me and certainly part of her duties as a Congressional leader and part of the succession.

5. "He's been routinely compared to Hitler by elected Democrats in Congress and elsewhere,"

You mean when a couple of House Democrats compared Trump's rise and rhetoric to Hitler's? Historical comparisons are apt. Plenty of historians and Republicans have made the same comparisons. You know who else compared Trump to Hitler? Actual fucking Nazis like Richard Spencer.

6. "not even to mention being called a racist and a sexist every week."

I am not a lawyer, but I believe the truth is an excellent defense against libel.

So those are your examples of Democrats rolling in the gutter and trying to out-Trump Trump? Is that the case you're really trying to make? Are any of them comparable to Joe Wilson yelling "Liar" at Obama on the fucking House floor?

Anything comparable to Trump becoming the leader of the birthers, or saying Obama was the founder of ISIS?

"No, I meant he's the founder of ISIS," Trump said. "I do. He was the most valuable player. I give him the most valuable player award. I give her, too, by the way, Hillary Clinton."

Hewitt pushed back again, saying that Obama is "not sympathetic" to ISIS and "hates" and is "trying to kill them."

“I don't care," Trump said, according to a show transcript. "He was the founder. His, the way he got out of Iraq was that that was the founding of ISIS, okay?"

Feel free to elaborate upon my citations.

Trump has filed lawsuits to stop vote counting in MI, PA and GA.

It sounds like the GA votes will be counted tonight. I think I heard there are 150 or 160 thousand left to count, and the margin between Trump and Biden has now dropped all the way down to about 60 some thousand. It’s going to get really close.

The Trump lawsuit against Georgia claims that 53 ballots were accepted after the closing time (7 or 8 pm yesterday), so all vote counting should be shut down until “the situation is resolved”.

eta the Trump lead is just under 46,000

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It sounds like the GA votes will be counted tonight. I think I heard there are 150 or 160 thousand left to count, and the margin between Trump and Biden has now dropped all the way down to about 60 some thousand. It’s going to get really close.

The Guardian's figures are showing the Trump lead in Georgia as being 43000 now, that's dipped under 1%. They think there are about 150000 ballots to be counted.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The Guardian's figures are showing the Trump lead in Georgia as being 43000 now, that's dipped under 1%. They think there are about 150000 ballots to be counted.

If that 150k number is right, I think Biden will take it.  He's winning more than 2/3rds of these last votes. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm more critical of liberals than conservatives. The former, after all, value logic and critical thinking. 

I also have a tendency to disagree more with whichever company I am in at a moment. 

As a liberal, I do agree that on average liberals still value critical thinking more. But that percentage is dropping a bit because it is more about thought-trend following than dissecting things at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Disturber of Peace said:

I also have a tendency to disagree more with whichever company I am in at a moment. 

As a liberal, I do agree that on average liberals still value critical thinking more. But that percentage is dropping a bit because it is more about thought-trend following than dissecting things at the moment. 

I'm sure you also think it's smart for Trump to argue in court to stop the vote in Michigan....

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Biden is going to win GA and PA.

Hope so, I thought it was pretty obvious that the lawsuit involving PA the Trump campaign trotted out this afternoon was their contingency plan for a close election and one that assumes whoever won PA would win the election. It’s great that Biden can win without PA, makes the at feel a bit of a miscalculation in their part though it was definitely the best educated guess available. Would be great if Georgia joined the party and made the PA shit show double-moot.

Archived