US Politics: The vote is Joe's. Signed, sealed, delivered.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

So... The Georgia run offs. Figure, 50/50 or thereabouts, the Dems could pick up one out of two, right? 

I think Warnock has a considerably better chance than Ossoff.  However, with a two-candidate runoff, I still think it's going to be very very difficult for a Democrat to get to 50+1 in Georgia.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think Warnock has a considerably better chance than Ossoff.  However, with a two-candidate runoff, I still think it's going to be very very difficult for a Democrat to get to 50+1 in Georgia.

Right. But Warnock garnered much less of a vote than Ossoff, comparatively. Warnock also wont be facing a Republican vote split in the run off. Hmn.

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

But Warnock garnered much less of a vote than Ossoff, comparatively. Warnock wont be facing a Republican vote split in the run off.

True, but a TON of candidates garnered small percentages of votes in the Warnock race.  If you split all those candidates' votes by party ID, the split is virtually even.  I think Warnock has a better shot first because Loeffler is a much worse candidate than Perdue - who is also an incumbent (that's actually won his seat) and has one of the most recognizable last names in Georgia politics.  And, by the same token, I think Warnock is a better candidate than Ossoff who can obviously more reliably count on the black vote and turnout.

I hadn't been following the Senate races as intensely as the big show, I wasn't aware Warnock was also up again fellow Dem hopefuls. 

Can always count on you for the breakdown, D

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I hadn't been following the Senate races as intensely as the big show, I wasn't aware Warnock was also up again fellow Dem hopefuls. 

Can always count on you for the breakdown, D

Happy to do it.  I'm bored and I actually enjoy doing this stuff.  So by my quick calculations for the Warnock race, Republican candidates got 49.4% while Democratic candidates got 48.3%.  A Libertarian got 0.7%, a Green got 0.3%, and four Independents got 1.3% combined.

11 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Most of that in urban and suburban areas right?

58k of the 17k left in Philadelphia county which is heavily blue.  But the rest are mixed.

Honestly I don't know for sure but the trend is definitely in the right direction.  The last several drops have Biden winning 75% to 80% of the vote and he only needs 53.3% as a win rate to pull even.

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

And unlike in AZ, in PA some of the drops from the pink/red counties are even or actually favor Biden because Dems have voted by mail/absentee more in PA.

Edited to add:  just heard around 30k-ish more in Allegheny (Pittsburgh) as well, which is also blue (though not as much as Philly).

15 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Most of that in urban and suburban areas right?

What needs to be emphasized is in PA, Biden is winning these mail-in ballots in every county in the state - no matter how red.  That's how Democratic leaning the mail-in ballots are in the state.  I wouldn't be surprised if networks call Pennsylvania the moment Biden takes a lead.

Georgia now down to 665 as Clayton county keeps on sputtering out votes.

4 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Or maybe we've all died. gone to Hell, and are being subjected to an Ironic Punishment for being too geeky about politics.

I feel like it's more purgatory or The Island.  As Desmond said, "we're in a bloody snow globe!"

Archived