US Politics: The vote is Joe's. Signed, sealed, delivered.

A Horse Named Stranger

Not a big further change, but nice to see Biden stretch it out to, er... a 4-digit lead in GA...

(+1,096)

With only a few thousand ballots left, this thing is headed for a recount surely.  But it's nice to be the one that's ahead, at least for now.

Though it went better than I expected, I'm nevertheless disappointed in NC, especially when I see Georgia, but at least I voted. It amazes me how the Democrats have made stealth advances in the South, largely due to its increasing urbanization over the past 30 years. I could definitely see this scaring the GOP just as easily as the reddening of the Rust Belt and Florida scares Democrats. 

Regardless of what the final totals are in Georgia, I think we all need to stop a moment and appreciate what Stacey Abrams and others have done there...

Urban and suburban Georgia came through in this election.  And they'll be back in it for the 2 senate run-offs soon enough, where they'll be underdogs again.

15 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Though it went better than I expected, I'm nevertheless disappointed in NC, especially when I see Georgia, but at least I voted. It amazes me how the Democrats have made stealth advances in the parts of the South, largely due to its increasing urbanization over the past 30 years. I could definitely see this scaring the GOP just as easily as the reddening of the Rust Belt and Florida scares Democrats. 

Fixed that for you. Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and Louisiana aren't flipping any time soon, and Arkansas and Tennessee just keep getting worse. Texas is the Great White Whale, and lets not even touch Florida.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Why do you think Nevada’s likely to flip Trump’s way?

I don't necessarily. It is just yet to be called and people should avoid thinking in certainties, so it's on the table, even if only just.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wait where are you seeing this?

I expected it to cross to that for a bit, but I haven’t seen an update on any numbers out of it,

It's on the Guardian map. Just shy of 1000 up. Boy howdy, as they say up north*.

*Everything is north of me**.

**Except @The Marquis de Leech

It's kind of funny, it could turn out to not be close at all in the ECV and it already isn't close in the NPV. But in the manner of gaining a big ECV lead it very much came down to the wire. Future generations would look at such a result and say Biden won easily, but historians will say not as easily as you think.

38 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Though it went better than I expected, I'm nevertheless disappointed in NC, especially when I see Georgia, but at least I voted. It amazes me how the Democrats have made stealth advances in the South, largely due to its increasing urbanization over the past 30 years. I could definitely see this scaring the GOP just as easily as the reddening of the Rust Belt and Florida scares Democrats. 

I mean, there is also the fact that the South has a large African American population and they have progressively become more assertive in exercising their right to vote despite the best efforts of those who never wanted them to get that right in the first place.

20 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Fixed that for you. Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and Louisiana aren't flipping any time soon, and Arkansas and Tennessee just keep getting worse. Texas is the Great White Whale, and lets not even touch Florida.

It's a bit of a rude "fix" IMHO. As it turns out "stealth advances in parts of the South" are still "stealth advances in the South." I'm keenly quite aware that it's not everywhere in the South, but it's the parts of the South that has seen fairly rapid growths of urbanization centers and a rise of electors. It's in places like Texas (e.g., Austin, Houston, etc.), North Carolina (e.g., Charlotte, the Triangle, the Triad, Asheville, etc.), and Georgia (e.g., Atlanta). These are states that have risen in electoral votes since 2000: e.g., Texas (34 to 38), Georgia (13 to 16), and North Carolina (14 to 15). Though, yeah, Florida is a separate matter, but many Southerners would debate its inclusion as a Southern state. 

@The Anti-Targ Yeah, the South remains rife with conservative voter suppression and gerrymandering. Remember a few years back that a judge struck down the districts Republicans drew up in North Carolina? The GOP talked a pretty talk about it being fairly drawn, but the Judge recognized the smoking gun that the lines were drawn racially, with one district corresponding to I-95 which had a large popular of people of color. 

6 hours ago, briantw said:

I voted Democrat straight down the ticket.  Not my fault the rest of the state is racist.

Need more northerners to move here stat!

A good (liberal) friend of mine is moving to Cary, which he tells me stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. :)

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

How soon until we see violence in the streets? Trump is stoking the fires...

I'm actually surprised that things haven't escalated more so far. Sure enough, armed trumpists trying to force their way into polling stations is still nasty, but I honestly expected worse.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't necessarily. It is just yet to be called and people should avoid thinking in certainties, so it's on the table, even if only just.

It's on the Guardian map. Just shy of 1000 up. Boy howdy, as they say up north*.

*Everything is north of me**.

**Except @The Marquis de Leech

It's kind of funny, it could turn out to not be close at all in the ECV and it already isn't close in the NPV. But in the manner of gaining a big ECV lead it very much came down to the wire. Future generations would look at such a result and say Biden won easily, but historians will say not as easily as you think.

Yeah I can’t say I disagree.

Celebration for any of remaining swing states still to me seem premature.

Like take this;https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2020/11/05/military-absentee-ballots-are-still-coming-in-to-battleground-states/

If these 8 thousand come through and break towards Trump—which I find likely—Trump could squeak in the vote.

Hell even without those votes Trump seems fully capable clawing his way out with the remaining votes in states.https://github.com/alex/nyt-2020-election-scraper/blob/master/battleground-state-changes.txt

Until the vast majority of Nevada had voted, I see little benefit in seeing it locked up.

Just be patient.

I get people wanting to manage their own expectations, but reality is what it is.

For Biden not to overtake Trump in Pennsylvania would require an extraordinary shift in the outstanding ballots away from favoring Biden, when at this point Biden only needs them to favor him a little. 

The remaining votes in Nevada are almost all from Clark County, the part of the state that is so heavily Democratic that it's what makes Nevada a lean-blue state. 

Georgia is admittedly the most tenuous but we have seen the outstanding ballots coming in at widely pro-Biden margins, and there are still more to come, which will pad his lead against any possible swing from overseas ballots. It will probably not be called officially for some time, but it will be irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Its not impossible that Biden wins North Carolina too. I'd be surprised, since I think the balance of votes left to count doesn't look as promising as Georgia was, but there are a lot of them. 

Also, hopefully the remaining 10k ballots in Georgia push up Biden's lead a bit more; just in case those military ballots cut into the margin. I don't think they will that badly, although the polling showing active duty enlisted splitting evenly could be just as wrong as all the other polling.

Good fucking God, the media is already starting to hype "Biden/McConnell: Odd Couple 2, Geezer Boogaloo".

Nevermind, your hope is misplaced because our fucking POS corporate media is going to demand bipartisanship above all else, so they'll start doing Republicans' bidding again.

Oh, are y'all ready for a hostile Senate to spend all its time investigating a Biden administration? Get ready for it. It's not like they will have anything better to do. And the media is apparently ready to eat it all up because at least it won't be Trump. Fuck them.

Archived