US Politics: The vote is Joe's. Signed, sealed, delivered.

A Horse Named Stranger

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

In some ways it feels like this election will never end, that we will just keep getting updates of smaller and smaller amounts, and yet never quite reach infinity. 

“And we are getting more numbers from Georgia...after this commercial!”

Just now, Maithanet said:

Well, there has been a lot of population growth since then.  Obama's 2008 record standing for 12 years is pretty good. 

I am European... We do not have population growth :D Only migrations and refugees. 

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

I mostly blame the singer. And aside from that no more pathetic than the flag wrapping drivel that makes up most national anthems. And don't get me start on 'God Save the Queen/King'. Brown-nosing the monarch for a national anthem is the worst.

I meant like, it makes me sad to understand the lyrics. But it's a sadness that has a kind of beauty to it. We are all pathetic in our desire for permanence. But that's ok, y'know? Because it's like, our ideas outlive us. That can be bad, no doubt, but it can be really cool too. An American communist being moved listening to the USSR anthem being sung in English would be pretty mind-blowing concept to the people who first sang this anthem.

1 minute ago, SaltyGnosis said:

I meant like, it makes me sad to understand the lyrics. But it's a sadness that has a kind of beauty to it. We are all pathetic in our desire for permanence. But that's ok, y'know? Because it's like, our ideas outlive us. That can be bad, no doubt, but it can be really cool too. An American communist being moved listening to the USSR anthem being sung in English would be pretty mind-blowing concept to the people who first sang this anthem.

Ah so you meant pathetic in the evincing a sense of pathos kind of way.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Indeed, Trump did pretty well with some segments of the Latino community.

I need some telenovela prayer like "Santa Maria Virgencita" or something like that

We have very similar people in Serbia. The Serbian Trump a.k.a. our President had the motto "For our children" and there was an interview with one pd his supporter who spoke so nicely about the President that I thought they were lovers. At the end, the man was asked about the kids and he said "I have two. One is married and living in Chicago. The other one is in Germany."

Stupidity is global!

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

In some ways it feels like this election will never end, that we will just keep getting updates of smaller and smaller amounts, and yet never quite reach infinity. 

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There's an engineer vs mathematician joke about this. We should be like the engineer. ;)

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well, there has been a lot of population growth since then.  Obama's 2008 record standing for 12 years is pretty good. 

By all accounts it was record turnout period. It isnt just pop growth. And that rose all boats. 

I once read a story where the narrator was on an escalator (downwards) that never seemed to stop... This election is a bit like that.

The ever-optimistic Gleenn Kirschner about what a president Biden, even with an obstructive senate, could try to do (including new justices), with "gloves off":

56 minutes ago, Wethers said:

I think AZ is different than some of the other battleground states because voters of both parties use mail-in voting extensively and have been doing so for many elections.  So you can't count on mail-in ballots being Dem.

This is true, but it's also the reason why there's little to no basis to assume Trump will maintain this ~59% pace in Maricopa.  Whereas in Pennsylvania, the vast majority of mail-in votes are Democratic votes - which is why Biden's even winning by large margins in updates today in ruby red counties.

That's one reason I remain confident Biden will win AZ.  The other reason is frankly and simply just that, yes, it's been called by the AP.  They have access to more data on the Maricopa vote than we do and if they remain confident - which I assume they are considering they still haven't retracted the call - then that lends me more confidence as well.  Really, unless you buy the Murdoch conspiracy theory, same goes for the FNC call.

5 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

By all accounts it was record turnout period. It isnt just pop growth. And that rose all boats. 

Yeah if turnout really is at 65%+, which it looks like it will be, then this would've been a given even if Trump lost by 7 points.

Apparently Georgia's next big vote drop will be in two hours, which is the very definition of frustration with Trump's lead only at 1,902.

Pennsylvania's margin is now less than that by which Trump won the state in 2016.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Well I just had someone yell at me on IRC for about 10 mins about how black people aren’t allowed to vote and nothing we could do could convince him otherwise....so that’s where these people are at.

Wait "aren't allowed to vote"? Did they really mean that, or did they mean "shouldn't be allowed to vote"? One statement is both ignorant and racist, while the other is racist and ignorant, just a different level of ignorance.

1 minute ago, SaltyGnosis said:

He possibly needs divine intervention. But if there was any of that for this election it was the big fella going nucular and unleashing a plague on the world just to try to get rid of him.

Archived