US Politics - Count All The Posts

Relic

DanteGabriel in the previous thread:

Stacey Abrams for head of DNC?

That's exactly what I've been thinking! I just have no idea if that job would be something she would want. Maybe she prefers to stay in Georgia and run for governor again in 2022.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

DanteGabriel in the previous thread:

That's exactly what I've been thinking! I just have no idea if that job would be something she would want. Maybe she prefers to stay in Georgia and run for governor again in 2022.

Yeah, I'll refine my position to "Let Stacey Abrams write her own damn ticket and give her whatever resources she needs."

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ll be very surprised if Trump doesn’t abuse the Pardon power... terribly.

(quoted from the previous)

I don't disagree, but which kind of pardons are you thinking?  Ones for his cronies that are already indicted?    I was rather hoping that any federal charges would be brought against Trump, his family, and random associates like Giuliani after Jan 20 to avoid this very thing.  And I don't think you can grant a blanket pardon for crimes you haven't been charged with yet, right?

Of course with 2020 being 2020, immediately after seeing Biden take the lead in Pennsylvania I saw the news that asteroid Apophis has changed course and may possibly hit us in 2068.

Can't have nice things this year.

The U.S. postal service wants in on this ass-kicking.

USPS rushes to deliver another 2,000 ballots in Pennsylvania, North Carolina before deadline
The Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Charlotte ballots were part of more than 2,000 ballots discovered in dozens of postal facilities across the two states.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/06/usps-2000-more-ballots-pennsylvania-nc-434639

Postal workers found more than 1,000 ballots in Philadelphia facilities Thursday and 300 in Pittsburgh, as the Postal Service races to deliver uncounted votes to election officials before a Friday afternoon deadline, according to a filing in U.S. federal court posted just after midnight Friday.

The Postal Service has been ordered by U.S, District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan to report on the results of twice-daily sweeps for election mail, with a particular emphasis on states that are still accepting ballots postmarked by Election Day. Pennsylvania and North Carolina have still not been called as they await additional ballots to be processed.

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

BIden seems to have won by the slimmest of margins...but since we are a nation addicted to drama, the drama continues...

Depending on how many provisionals are left after the remaining mail-in ballots are counted, Biden may have won PA by about 2%. Which is close, but not terribly so. When's all's said and done, the tipping point state will probably be either Wisconsin, which is currently a 0.6% win or Arizona which is currently a 1.4% win though likely to shrink further.

In 2016, PA was the tipping point at 0.7% and in 2000 Florida was at 0.01%, meaning this is likely only the 3rd closest election in the last 20 years. Even in 2004, Ohio was only 2.1%. Nothing uncommon about really close elections.

In fact, even if Arizona gets so tight that Wisconsin at 0.6% is the tipping point, this would just be the 7th closest election by tipping point since 1832. 

The margins are usually slim.

12 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

I don't disagree, but which kind of pardons are you thinking?  Ones for his cronies that are already indicted?    I was rather hoping that any federal charges would be brought against Trump, his family, and random associates like Giuliani after Jan 20 to avoid this very thing.  And I don't think you can grant a blanket pardon for crimes you haven't been charged with yet, right?

Nixon was an unindicted co-conspirator for the Watergate coverup but was pardoned nontheless by Ford.

2 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

It feels closer than it is because of the way votes were counted and the sense that Trump's egregious incompetence and general vileness ought to have led to any even wider margin.

True. On the other hand, one-term Presidents are really rare these days. The congressional results suck, but we've dodged a huge bullet here.

Replying to Scot and FB. The reason Trump does so much fundraising and diverts the money to himself is to make those loan payments to his bank. Once he is out of office, foreclosure is soon to come.

20 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

It would not surprise me if he pardoned every member of cabinet and every ‘acting’ director of departments, and everyone in the WH that was ‘loyal’ to him. Pardons for Hope Hicks and Stephen Miller! Because those vicious commie Democrats are going to go after everyone close to him and make stuff up!

Two things from the previous threads:

@JEORDHl - you can get a blanket pardon for actions that might result in crimes, even if nothing was charged. 

Others - there's an old adage where if you owe someone $10k, that's your problem. If you owe someone $10m, that's THEIR problem. Deutsche Bank does not want to write off $340m in loans to Trump... again (they already wrote off $250m of loans because he was such a hassle to deal with). 

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

It would not surprise me if he pardoned every member of cabinet and every ‘acting’ director of departments, and everyone in the WH that was ‘loyal’ to him. Pardons for Hope Hicks and Stephen Miller! Because those vicious commie Democrats are going to go after everyone close to him and make stuff up!

Maybe not. Trump has no loyalty to those under him and would only pardon those who can testify against him if the underling was indicted. His motto has always been 'all for me and me for me.'

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Replying to Scot and FB. The reason Trump does so much fundraising and diverts the money to himself is to make those loan payments to his bank. Once he is out of office, foreclosure is soon to come.

We will see. He's still super popular and can easily monetize that. Almost all former Presidents make loads of money. Will it be enough for his empire? Probably not but unless the government starts seizing assets or massive fines, he'll still be rich.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We will see. He's still super popular and can easily monetize that. Almost all former Presidents make loads of money. Will it be enough for his empire? Probably not but unless the government starts seizing assets or massive fines, he'll still be rich.

Still be rich? I don't think he was ever rich. He just played that role on TV.

Archived