US Politics - Count All The Posts

Relic

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

How does everyone feel Pennsylvania handled the 10X mail-in ballots compared to previous elections? I think they have done pretty well so far, and I see no reason why future elections cant go this way.

I'd say they'd be in good shape for the future if they actually start counting before election day and don't farm out the ballot printing to a junk mail company owned by Trumpkins.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Are you referring to actual pollsters or Silver and Cohn?  If you mean the latter I agree.  If you mean the former you're full of shit to refer to professional pollsters as "fake careers."

What, exactly, do pollsters do? As in, what effect do they affect? Pollsters and the Nate Silvers of the world are no different than YouTube 'content creators'. Just a repackaging of irrelevant datas for the purpose of getting those clicks. A reverse-engineered 'professional' repetition to take advantage of social defects in the species. 

I have more respect for a forester.

10 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

How does everyone feel Pennsylvania handled the 10X mail-in ballots compared to previous elections? I think they have done pretty well so far, and I see no reason why future elections cant go this way.

Other than the beyond idiotic requirement that they had to start counting them AFTER they counted the in-person day-of voting, I think it was okay. There seems to be a pretty heavy backlog and amount of work that they're having to do in order to deal with the load though. It'd be much better to start counting several weeks earlier.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

don't farm out the ballot printing to a junk mail company owned by Trumpkins.

This was a mistake, aye, but it was quite obviously unintentional on both ends.  That company had zero interest in getting the exposure they got for fucking up thousands of ballots, regardless of their political sentiments.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

What, exactly, do pollsters do?

...Measure public opinion.  The training involved to do this in an accurate and scientific manner is hardly akin to fucking content creators and frankly personally offensive.  Do they make mistakes?  Of course!  But (political) pollsters' mistakes are always amplified while their successes are always mostly ignored.

3 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I am trying to think through what good responses to relatives will inevitably be around an apparent Trump loss.  Ideas?

My own impulse is to point to logical inconsistencies and say “If this situation happened, with Biden being on the shit end of the stick, would you be alright with him refusing to concede and threatening lawsuits and calling fraud on Trump votes/voters? Because no one can prove fraud, pro or anti Trump, it’s all hearsay. Or are you cool when someone fakes a foul and storms off the court when it doesn’t work” (or some other sportsball analogy that needs work)

There's a lot of articles online these days about how to talk to Trumpists/Qultists. A number of them say logic and reasoning is talking down to them which will only make them double down more because to agree with you, they have to admit a lot of stupidity or their own lacking morality (something like the When Prophesy Fails study or game theory where the more you lose at the table, the harder it is to walk away). In short, appeal to their lower brain and treat them like wild, freaking animals (soothing voice, sympathy for how they feel (not their views), crouching into a smaller, submissive, non-threatening position might help) and maybe someday they'll trust you enough to begin to listen. Maybe. Eventually. Kinda some sort of reverse sneaky predator move when you think about it.

I haven't tried this because I do like a Dem and strategically blow it. Can't stop myself from calling them stupid. Usually loudly. Can tell you for sure this never works. 

This is just one, tons out there lately with different options.

https://medium.com/progressively-speaking/how-to-persuade-a-trump-voter-4cad46b8df86

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

Nah. Fox/AP won't call NV because that means calling the election with a shaky state call (since they already called AZ). The others won't call NV either, because Fox/AP would be forced to follow suit and therefore be calling the election before anyone else. AZ shouldn't be called yet (hopefully that'll change after the 9pm drop), and Georgia shouldn't be called either yet. PA probably should be called, but I get waiting until either there's a few more provisionals seen or there's another big mail-in drop that makes Biden's lead too big for even the most implausible scenarios with the provisionals.

If Biden wins the Maricopa drop at 9pm (he won an earlier drop this evening from... Yuma, I think), I think AZ gets called and so does NV. Otherwise, gotta wait until everyone's more comfortable with PA. Not sure when that'd be.

Naw -- it's all about what tv wants and that is drama.  It's just bs.  Hate, hate, hate, the media.  It's time to call, there is no reason not to, but they are committed to the drama.  Just eff 'em. 

Time for Biden to call victory.  Don't give those mfers anymore wiggle room, just stuff their mouths with garlic.

Gonna watch some tv now. :rofl:

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Military votes are probably not breaking as heavily for the orange one as they would for a generic Republican. They haven't forgotten about the Russian bounties on their heads.

Didn't he call them all a bunch of losers?

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Didn't he call them all a bunch of losers?

These are probably going to be mostly  white men, who mostly lean Republican. 
The majority of the Georgia is white, the majority of the military are men.
Ideally most Republicans would have abandoned him over the Woodrow tapes.

It didn’t even dint his approval rating.

I won’t see really tiny Biden’s lead there as secure until the voting stops and he’s still in the lead.

Just now, DMC said:

...Measure public opinion.  The training involved to do this in an accurate and scientific manner is hardly akin to fucking content creators and frankly personally offensive.  Do they make mistakes?  Of course!  But (political) pollsters' mistakes are always amplified while their successes are always mostly ignored.

And? What is achieved by their measurements? Because best I can tell it's just more clicks for news sites to exploit from the emotionally devastated. How, functionally, is endless figurings that Amy McGrath and Jamie Harrison have a chance based on 400 phone calls or that Florida and Ohio are totes blue really different than JamSlicer69 pumping out his list of TEN THINGS THAT MUST BE IN THE MANDALORIAN EPISODE 4? Both productions will change nothing except to provide a brief hit of satisfaction or rage for the consumer while contributing to the income of the creator.

Political pollsters are less useful than football commentators. At least the good commentators can enhance a fan's knowledge of a game. Pollsters just collate questions into percentage points and pretend they're tracking the heartbeat of the nation. 

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

This was a mistake, aye, but it was quite obviously unintentional on both ends.  That company had zero interest in getting the exposure they got for fucking up thousands of ballots, regardless of their political sentiments.

Fair. I'd also advise that a business that prominently flies a Trump flag is also probably run by morons or assholes, or moronic assholes.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

And? What is achieved by their measurements? Because best I can tell it's just more clicks for news sites to exploit from the emotionally devastated.

Well, yeah. The attention is the point. I worked on a newspaper website team for a few years. It's literally survival. The attention-based economy is dooming us as a species, but we can't think of any other way to do things.

Archived