US Politics - Count All The Posts

Relic

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Getting antsy again - The gap is decreasing in AZ, and Georgia’s gap looks small. When’s the next PA update?

With AZ it depends on if all the ballots have been received or if mail ins can still arrive for another day or 3. If all the ballots are in then Trump is running out of road, By a rough estimate he needs 80% of the remaining votes to overtake Biden, it could be they break that heavy, but chances are they won't.

14 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

With AZ it depends on if all the ballots have been received or if mail ins can still arrive for another day or 3. If all the ballots are in then Trump is running out of road, By a rough estimate he needs 80% of the remaining votes to overtake Biden, it could be they break that heavy, but chances are they won't.

I believe that’s only the case for Penn or Georgia.

Trump just needs 58 of Arizona’s vote to win it.

So I have a question for you guys. I had a chat with a friend last night, who's neutral in this whole thing. Her ideas lean more towards the right, but she always votes third party, because she more or less hates both sides. She's for the most part a very well educated person and fully admitted to Trump acting like a baby this past week. That being said, she mentioned that according to the constitution all votes need to be counted by election night. I never heard this before and I've not been able to find any info online either confirming or denying what she said. I was just wondering if this is true or not, since if it is, it will probably be what Trump uses to sue the states after the counting is eventually finished.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

So I have a question for you guys. I had a chat with a friend last night, who's neutral in this whole thing. Her ideas lean more towards the right, but she always votes third party, because she more or less hates both sides. She's for the most part a very well educated person and fully admitted to Trump acting like a baby this past week. That being said, she mentioned that according to the constitution all votes need to be counted by election night. I never heard this before and I've not been able to find any info online either confirming or denying what she said. I was just wondering if this is true or not, since if it is, it will probably be what Trump uses to sue the states after the counting is eventually finished.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/01/930140373/fact-check-trump-falsely-claims-that-votes-shouldnt-be-counted-after-election-da?t=1604748477816

1 minute ago, sifth said:

So I'm guessing, that's a no? Are constitution says nothing about all votes needing to be in on election night?

Of course not. It was written about 250 years ago, before modern transport. It used to take weeks or months to count them all, I believe

12 minutes ago, sifth said:

She's for the most part a very well educated person and fully admitted to Trump acting like a baby this past week. That being said, she mentioned that according to the constitution all votes need to be counted by election night.

A fine chance for you to make her think by pointing out that she has swallowed whole one of Trump's lies, despite her distaste for him and her education.

19 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Of course not. It was written about 250 years ago, before modern transport. It used to take weeks or months to count them all, I believe

Oh yeah the idea of this having to be done by Election Day is utter bullshit if you just think about it for a second.

30 minutes ago, sifth said:

Really I'm curious to hear your friend’s reaction when/if you ask how long does she think it would take to count the votes of millions across the country in 18th century.

35 minutes ago, sifth said:

Hmmm, I was just watching a video about how when people believe a thing strongly they will refuse to change their mind even when presented with direct evidence. I'll be curious to see if this friend changes her opinion when presented with the facts. I haven't read the whole constitution, and that NPR article doesn't directly address the question, so I don't know for sure. But to me it sounds like the dumbest idea for ensuring free and fair elections outside of actually rigging elections, so I would err on the side of believing it's bullshit, until shown otherwise.

The longer this counting takes the more danger i think we're heading into. I'm starting to get very uneasy again, after maybe a day of feeling something akin to...hope? (What a sweet feeling that was, even momentarily) 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Well she would be wrong, and any well educated person who votes third party isn't really that well educated at all.....

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

The longer this counting takes the more danger i think we're heading into. I'm starting to get very uneasy again, after maybe a day of feeling something akin to...hope? (What a sweet feeling that was, even momentarily) 

You mean kind of like when the Knicks know they have a top three pick, but then learn they got the third pick and missed out on Zion and Ja? That kind of danger? 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

You mean kind of like when the Knicks know they have a top three pick, but then learn they got the third pick and missed out on Zion and Ja? That kind of danger? 

Like that, but when it happens year after year after year, forever and ever until you die. 

Some unfortunate vote counter in Georgia was seen on video to open a ballot envelope and throw something out. What he threw out was a “How to fill out out the ballot” instruction page, which some voters return with their ballot, but Trump supporters have spread the video on the internet and claimed he threw out a ballot for Trump. And someone watched him get in his car at the end of his shift, and got his license plate number. The poor guy is now in hiding. He’s in real danger of being murdered.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

That being said, she mentioned that according to the constitution all votes need to be counted by election night. I never heard this before and I've not been able to find any info online either confirming or denying what she said. I was just wondering if this is true or not

Constitutionally, the president is selected by the electoral college.  Not only is there no designated "election day," it's not even required that citizens are involved in the process at all.  It is up to each state (and DC) to decide how they select their electors.  Fortunately, they all prefer to do so by popular election.  Anyway, the selection of the president is outlined in Article II Section 1:

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.

The electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves. And they shall make a list of all the persons voted for, and of the number of votes for each; which list they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates, and the votes shall then be counted. The person having the greatest number of votes shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such majority, and have an equal number of votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately choose by ballot one of them for President; and if no person have a majority, then from the five highest on the list the said House shall in like manner choose the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by States, the representation from each state having one vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. In every case, after the choice of the President, the person having the greatest number of votes of the electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal votes, the Senate shall choose from them by ballot the Vice President.*

The Congress may determine the time of choosing the electors, and the day on which they shall give their votes; which day shall be the same throughout the United States.

*The italicized was replaced by the 12th amendment, but this is irrelevant to your question.

A national election day for federal offices was set by statute in 1845, stating it shall take place on "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November."  If any state isn't able to decide on that day, they can choose to decide on a later date:

And provided, also, when any State shall have held an election for the purpose of choosing electors, and shall fail to make a choice on the day aforesaid, then the electors may be appointed on a subsequent day in such manner as the State shall by law provide.

To be clear, this is a law passed by Congress and signed by the president, but it is not in the constitution.

I recommend everyone read the Constitution.  It really is not that long, and if you have questions about what things mean, it is very easy to look up basic explanations articulated in plain (modern) english.  Albeit, of course, interpreting the precise meaning of the Constitution is a very dicey subject, this particular area is decidedly not.

Archived