US Politics - Count All The Posts

Relic

8 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I have never posted on Twitter before today, but I’ve been on there for the past few hours now calling elected government officials horrible names and challenging them to hypothetical fist fights. It’s incredibly cathartic.

This is the energy I want to bring into 2021. Incredible. 

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Can anyone educate me on North Carolina?

Fez broke it down earlier in the thread:

There's basically no chance Biden, or Cunningham for Senate, will be able to make up their deficit.

Unless something very unexpected happens, the race really should be called today. And if it isn't, I will start to believe something suspicious is happening. I get holding off on AZ for now and waiting on the GA recount (though the lead jumping overnight makes me think its pretty safe now). But there appears to be no reason anymore to be holding off on NV or PA.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

But there appears to be no reason anymore to be holding off on NV or PA.

Yeah hopefully Nevada is called after the noon (eastern) update from Clark.  PA should also be called once Philly and Allegheny provide more updates today..but then again it shoulda been called yesterday.  I definitely don't think anything fishy is going on, but the media really needs to stop being feckless worrying about Trump's reaction and just call the fucking thing.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

So I have a question for you guys. I had a chat with a friend last night, who's neutral in this whole thing. Her ideas lean more towards the right, but she always votes third party, because she more or less hates both sides. She's for the most part a very well educated person and fully admitted to Trump acting like a baby this past week. That being said, she mentioned that according to the constitution all votes need to be counted by election night. I never heard this before and I've not been able to find any info online either confirming or denying what she said. I was just wondering if this is true or not, since if it is, it will probably be what Trump uses to sue the states after the counting is eventually finished.

There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that mentions “all votes must be counted on ‘election night’”.  Because, technically, the State Legislatures are empowered to pick slates of electors.  There is no requirement for State by State general elections to pick slates of electors.  Those are based on State laws.

If she repeats this ask her for specific reference to the portion of the US Constitution that creates this requirement.

38 minutes ago, Fez said:

Unless something very unexpected happens, the race really should be called today. And if it isn't, I will start to believe something suspicious is happening. I get holding off on AZ for now and waiting on the GA recount (though the lead jumping overnight makes me think its pretty safe now). But there appears to be no reason anymore to be holding off on NV or PA.

Someone interviewed on CNN just pointed out that what people have been calling the "military" ballots yet to be counted in Georgia are actually all "overseas" ballots, and most overseas voters who are NOT in the military are "highly educated cosmopolitan" persons. The majority of overseas ballots in states that have already counted them have gone to Biden, and there is no reason to think Georgia will be different. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Someone interviewed on CNN just pointed out that what people have been calling the "military" ballots yet to be counted in Georgia are actually all "overseas" ballots, and most overseas voters who are NOT in the military are "highly educated cosmopolitan" persons. The majority of overseas ballots in states that have already counted them have gone to Biden, and there is no reason to think Georgia will be different. 

MSNBC also was explaining that.  Was it Kornacki? But the overseas ballots coming into Atlanta? CNN employees and the like...the idea that the ballots aren't exclusively military, which doesn't seem to skew to the republican side this time anyway, should be the final narrative to get Georgia called.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Of course not. It was written about 250 years ago, before modern transport. It used to take weeks or months to count them all, I believe

RIght, there's a reason there's several months between the election and when the new president is inaugurated.

Bannon’s lawyer withdraws from the case and dumps him because of his beheading comment. I really hope he gets convicted. He’s probably freaking out, now that he won’t have his orange buddy in the WH to pardon him.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that mentions “all votes must be counted on ‘election night’”.  Because, technically, the State Legislatures are empowered to pick slates of electors.  There is no requirement for State by State general elections to pick slates of electors.  Those are based on State laws.

If she repeats this ask her for specific reference to the portion of the US Constitution that creates this requirement.

As Scot/others have articulated, I’d point out out that the elections are the responsibility of the state to your friend  - unlike something like a global pandemic, where the federal government should be in charge.

And point out that the counting delays and bullshit could easily be solved by mail-in voting and technical solutions, if we want to make this “night of election” a reality - I’m touting how damn easy and verifiable Oregon voting is - I could receive text updates about where my vote was and the time and details of when it was counted.

15 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Anyone else wondering if the reason that the remaining states are dragging ass is because they don't want to be the one to end it because they fear it might spark violence?

I don't think so. I think the argument that the more this gets dragged out but also the more mistakes that are made, the greater the potential for violence is also convincing.  They want this done, Nevada and Georgia especially I think.

For those of you outside the US ABC news has has a livestream no VPN needed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwjhikkGjPU

I've never understood how you guys can survive with almost every American newscaster relying on bombast and cheese to deliver even the most innocuous bit of information.

Like there's a piece on how America could descend into A SECOND CIVIL WAR AT ANY MOMENT on the stream, right now, which seems to have been cut by Michael Bay, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and I don't think is particularly helpful.

Can anyone educate me on North Carolina?

I appreciate that it's pretty strongly Republican, but it seems to have stopped counting votes Wednesday morning, with 250k left to count, and just buggered off home without bothering with them.

Yes, I get that they have a fairly late deadline for mail-in ballots, but what about the 250k ballots that are just waiting there in the office? Roughly how many are expected to arrive after election day?

Equally, how big a coup would it be IF it did flip?

So the numbers after the last update (14 hours ago, apparently) are that Trump leads by 76,515 with 189,319 (est.) left to be counted. Biden actually won all three of the last three drops, but they were tiny (a couple of hundred each). Biden's averaging trend is 52% and he needs to sustain 70% to win. Highly unlikely, especially as North Carolina doesn't have the huge metro areas which are helping Biden in other states (Atlanta's metro area is almost three times the size of Charlotte's).

A swing in North Carolina of that size is implausible at present. NC is pretty firmly in Trump's pocket, but Biden could bite into that lead, and that might make it a more viable target for next time. The long-term trends in NC, Georgia and even Texas are giving Republicans sleepless nights, and if NC and Texas become swing states in 2024, the Republicans may find themselves in trouble unless, y'know, start moderating their policies to appeal to more people (a novel idea they don't seem to have even considered).

38 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Bannon’s lawyer withdraws from the case and dumps him because of his beheading comment. I really hope he gets convicted. He’s probably freaking out, now that he won’t have his orange buddy in the WH to pardon him.

he will be pardoned before Trump leaves.  If he isn't, it won't be because Trump hesitated to abuse his office, it will be Javanka's revenge. 

This thread has hit on a great new voting suppression tactic for our good friends the Republicans. Require the vote to be decided on election day. Maybe make it state law that polls are only open in the state capital, so you could have this big Cannonball Run style race to get there to vote in time.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The long-term trends in NC, Georgia and even Texas are giving Republicans sleepless nights, and if NC and Texas become swing states in 2024, the Republicans may find themselves in trouble unless, y'know, start moderating their policies to appeal to more people (a novel idea they don't seem to have even considered).

Republicans are not going to moderate anytime soon, nor is it obvious the general electorate would reward them for it, or, at least, not electorates they need to listen to. They still have, after going off the rails under Trump, an inherent advantage in the Senate, Electoral College, state legislatures, governorships, and, very likely after the next round of redistricting, the House of Representatives. They're a minority, but a well positioned one. And the Republican base remains likely to punish Republican politicians who appear too moderate. 

Archived