No notice Ramsay activities and crimes before war of five king??

Mrstrategy

How did Roose Bolton keep Ramsay activities and crimes from being noticed and reported to Ned stark or the Boltons neighbors like the Hornwoods or Manderly who reported to lord stark still the war of five kings or did Ned stark turn a blind eye to Ramsay activities and  crimes?

3 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

They were just small folk and peasants. Not really even people. Certainly not worth raising a fuss over.

Yeah, this, I imagine that today in most countries if the son of a governor is a rapist no one in power would do anything, and Westeros has no press, internet or any means of the people taking charge

38 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ned Stark isn't Tywin Lannister when it comes to subjects. More like Edmure Tully.

Roose Bolton himself said that the lords of the North did things beneath Ned Stark's notice. Ned can't be everywhere all at once, and as good as his intentions are (given how he'd even go into the mountains to sup with the clans, I'd say he was a very dutiful and responsible man) he's bound to miss a few things when he's not in the general vicinity. 

Think of it this way; if the smallfolk were so confident in the Starks' justice system, why did they follow Lord Bolton into betraying the North without any fuss? They slaughtered their fellow Northmen without any apparent qualms.

8 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

They were just small folk and peasants. Not really even people. Certainly not worth raising a fuss over.

Ned Stark would have cared though. I mean he was going over to lay down the judgment on Jorah Mormont for selling some poachers as slaves. And those people were technically criminals. He would have certainly given a damn about innocent small folk being tortured and hunted.

1 minute ago, ShimShim said:

Ned Stark would have cared though. I mean he was going over to lay down the judgment on Jorah Mormont for selling some poachers as slaves. And those people were technically criminals. He would have certainly given a damn about innocent small folk being tortured and hunted.

Yes, but he wouldn't be able to keep track of everything, and the smallfolk who were loyal to the Boltons were loyal enough that they put their faith in the Boltons rather than their Stark overlords. 

7 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Yes, but he wouldn't be able to keep track of everything, and the smallfolk who were loyal to the Boltons were loyal enough that they put their faith in the Boltons rather than their Stark overlords. 

Yep. The only way Ned could’ve found out would have been if it became known among the other lords of the area. 

"no notice Ramsay activities" - me love english myself

Seriously though, Roose seems to have trained his people pretty well with a carrot and stick approach, and Ramsay probably only really started going ape after Domeric died and he was taken into the Dreadfort, just a year before the story begun. In that time, the smallfolk were probably too used to the status quo to go to Ned Stark out of fear of Roose, and Ramsay didn't have enough time to make the smallfolk desperate enough to go to the Starks.

18 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

How did Roose Bolton keep Ramsay activities and crimes from being noticed and reported to Ned stark or the Boltons neighbors like the Hornwoods or Manderly who reported to lord stark still the war of five kings or did Ned stark turn a blind eye to Ramsay activities and  crimes?

Roose moto is a peaceful land, a quiet people. The rumors about Ramsay start after Roose goes to war in the south and leaves his evil son behind. I think Roose mopped up whatever messes Ramsay made. All you have to do is look at what Roose, our avowed rapist proceeds with Ramsay's mother. 

"The miller's marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he swayed. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day. A year later this same wench had the impudence to turn up at the Dreadfort with a squalling, red-faced monster that she claimed was my own get. I should've had the mother whipped and thrown her child down a well . . . but the babe did have my eyes. She told me that when her dead husband's brother saw those eyes, he beat her bloody and drove her from the mill. That annoyed me, so I gave her the mill and had the brother's tongue cut out, to make certain he did not go running to Winterfell with tales that might disturb Lord Rickard. Each year I set the woman some piglets and chickens and a bag of stars, on the understanding that she was never to tell the boy who had fathered him. A peaceful land, a quiet people, that has always been my rule." (Reek III, ADwD 32)

Roose doesn't reproach Ramsay for being vile. He reproaches him for not being discreet about it. 

"You are mistaken. It is not good. No tales were told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours." (Reek III, ADwD 32)

That's why Ned never heard a thing about Ramsay, like his father before him never heard about Roose. Roose covered his tracks and made sure the things he did never left his lands and he had enough power to reign Ramsay in, but when he went to war, Ramsay was on his own giving zero fucks what anyone heard about him. 

Another thing is that violence seems to be rather common and normal phenomenon in the North. Or meeting Ironborn or wildling raiders seems not to be abnormal. After all Bran was captured near Winterfell. So if anyone heard that people are disappearing around Dreadfort nobody would have cared bc that happens also another parts of areas ruled by Starks.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Mrstrategy said:

Ned is not necessarily turning a blind eye.  Perhaps what Ramsay does with his peasants is within the parameters of law and custom.  He can't be the only one doing this.  Manderly is a cruel man.  I can only imagine what the fat man does to those among his peasants who displeased him.

On 11/7/2020 at 8:45 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Roose moto is a peaceful land, a quiet people. The rumors about Ramsay start after Roose goes to war in the south and leaves his evil son behind. I think Roose mopped up whatever messes Ramsay made. All you have to do is look at what Roose, our avowed rapist proceeds with Ramsay's mother. 

"The miller's marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he swayed. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day. A year later this same wench had the impudence to turn up at the Dreadfort with a squalling, red-faced monster that she claimed was my own get. I should've had the mother whipped and thrown her child down a well . . . but the babe did have my eyes. She told me that when her dead husband's brother saw those eyes, he beat her bloody and drove her from the mill. That annoyed me, so I gave her the mill and had the brother's tongue cut out, to make certain he did not go running to Winterfell with tales that might disturb Lord Rickard. Each year I set the woman some piglets and chickens and a bag of stars, on the understanding that she was never to tell the boy who had fathered him. A peaceful land, a quiet people, that has always been my rule." (Reek III, ADwD 32)

Roose doesn't reproach Ramsay for being vile. He reproaches him for not being discreet about it. 

"You are mistaken. It is not good. No tales were told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours." (Reek III, ADwD 32)

That's why Ned never heard a thing about Ramsay, like his father before him never heard about Roose. Roose covered his tracks and made sure the things he did never left his lands and he had enough power to reign Ramsay in, but when he went to war, Ramsay was on his own giving zero fucks what anyone heard about him. 

That plus Ramsay has only been at the DF for like a year or so. In the meantime he's trained with swords and learned to read. So I'm guessing he's been relatively busy

2 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

That plus Ramsay has only been at the DF for like a year or so. In the meantime he's trained with swords and learned to read. So I'm guessing he's been relatively busy

I thought the whole point was he isn’t a skilled fighter. He just hacks away like a butcher does. It was the abomination which made him able to run into a brawl bare-chested with two knives and somehow walk away without an injury.

1 minute ago, Canon Claude said:

I thought the whole point was he isn’t a skilled fighter. He just hacks away like a butcher does. It was the abomination which made him able to run into a brawl bare-chested with two knives and somehow walk away without an injury.

Right he might suck but we know he's trained at it with Reek and spent enough time doing it that it piqued Roose' attention and significant enough that he mentions it to Theon

20 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

It was the abomination which made him able to run into a brawl bare-chested with two knives and somehow walk away without an injury.

While it was an exaggeration by the show, its also clear that Ramsay is supposed to represent a threat and not just a mook who is going down the first time he meets resistance.

2 hours ago, Lion of the West said:

While it was an exaggeration by the show, its also clear that Ramsay is supposed to represent a threat and not just a mook who is going down the first time he meets resistance.

In the books, Ramsay is captured and imprisoned, while Reek is killed. His great threat isn’t his physical prowess. The reason why we fear him is his ruthlessness and his sadistic mind. He does things for fun that would make Joffrey raise an eyebrow and take notes. But he can only succeed with his father’s position and his influence. If Theon hadn’t captured Winterfell and started listening to Ramsay, he’d have spent the war locked up like a chump.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Mrstrategy said:

What happens on Bolton lands stays on Bolton lands.

Archived