US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

Rick Santorum is already launching the new Republican talking point: Georgia should elect at least 1 Republican as Senator for the sake of national unity.

I think you’ll be hearing that a lot. Georgia, it’s your duty, or else the Democrats will ram through a rejected agenda!

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Rick Santorum is already launching the new Republican talking point: Georgia should elect at least 1 Republican as Senator for the sake of national unity.

I think you’ll be hearing that a lot. Georgia, it’s your duty, or else the Democrats will ram through a rejected agenda!

No problem, if  n turn Texas gives half of its electoral votes to Dems, for the sake of unity!

And NBC is already pushing how "clearly" Americans elected centrism and Biden should not give an cabinet position to progressives...

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Another big drop (40,000) in Arizona. Trump 70%, Biden 29.6%.

Trump did not win the 11am (eastern) Maricopa vote drop of around 45 thousand votes with 70%.  There seems to be some discrepancy on the exact percentage.  Kornacki said Trump won it with 58% while Silver posted the margin was 56.4% to 40.8%, but either way he's still slightly below the margin he needs to even up/take the lead.

28 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

very likely after the next round of redistricting, the House of Representatives

While you could certainly say the GOP already has an inherent advantage in the House, that advantage is not going to be increased.  Although the Dems' inability to pickup a single chamber in state legislative races this cycle was incredibly disappointing, the number of House seats the GOP will have entire control over in redistricting will be substantially less this time than after 2010:

Michigan instituted a redistricting commission, which will take the power out of GOP hands. In total, there will be 124 congressional seats in ten states drawn by a commission and 47 seats drawn by legislatures in states controlled by both parties ahead of 2022.

But Republicans will likely have total control over the mapmaking process for 181 districts, while Democrats will draw the maps for 76 districts, according to statistics tallied by the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, a group started by former Attorney General Eric Holder to break the GOP’s chokehold on redistricting. It's a slight improvement from the 2011 cycle when Republicans had control over 213 seats.

Emphasis mine.  That being said, I entirely agree with your larger point that the GOP is not to going to moderate or even consider it.  After they got their ass kicked by Obama for a second time the RNC commissioned a report suggesting the party moderate and emphasize more outreach efforts to minority voters.  Instead they nominated Donald Trump in the next presidential election.  Considering the gains they made this cycle with Latinx voters, there's even less reason for them to moderate.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Al Gross claims he'll win Alaska still. I doubt it, based on how everything else has gone this election. But there have been no mail-in ballots counted at all yet, there are a lot of them, and they are expected to be pretty heavily Democratic. It's highly improbable, but not quite impossible. And how seat it'll be.

As for Georgia, we'll see how the next couple months ago. I don't think there's going to be enough time to get enough absentee ballots out to everyone this time though; in-person will be far more important. We'll see. Part of the problem is that I could pretty easily see there being a decent chunk (relatively, speaking) of Perdue-Warnock voters; which would only get Democrats one seat instead of both.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

If Georgia goes and elects 1 Republican and 1 Democratic Senator after all of this, I'll be angrier than I would be if they just elect 2 Republicans.

Not really, but kinda also really.

Just now, OnionAhaiReborn said:

If Georgia goes and elects 1 Republican and 1 Democratic Senator after all of this, I'll be angrier than I would be if they just elect 2 Republicans.

Not really, but kinda also really.

Honestly, I'll take it.  Biden has been elected for 4 years.  1 extra Dem seat in Jan 2021 will help the party have a shot at the Senate majority in 2022.  But I expect the Rs will carry both seats.  

On a serious note, quite relieved by this. I've moved away now but lived in the US for the last 3 years and all my cousins are there and have been directly impacted by the immigration rules/ EO enacted by Trump. It has been stressful, to say the least.

Archived