US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

In some ways (teeny tiny teensy tiny ways) I’m disappointed, because this might mean fewer really smart foreigners come to work in Canada, lol. On the other hand, numerous American tech companies have either started units in Canada or expanded businesses in Canada because they don’t ever want to be shut out of the world’s talent pool again, and those offices are not going to shut down or be downsized. :)

1 minute ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I suspect that Biden will also be another cop apologist. 

Even if his public remarks aren't the best (we'll see), at the very least we'll have a DOJ willing to force consent decrees on police departments again, which will be a huge shift. Things have been bad for a while of course, but part of the reason it's been even worse under Trump is that DOJ has stopped almost all oversight of police.

Just now, Maltaran said:

How does California go about filling Harris’s Senate seat, and if the Dems do win both Georgia seats does this mean there will be a gap when it is 50-49 Republican?

Governor Newsom will appoint her successor, who will have to run for election in 2022 (which is when Harris' term expires anyway; not sure if there'd be a special election then if it didn't).

Harris is almost certain to resign from the senate on January 2, the day before the new congress is seated, that way her successor (already named by then) can take the oath that day and will have seniority over Mark Kelly and John Hickenlooper.

1 minute ago, Maltaran said:

How does California go about filling Harris’s Senate seat, and if the Dems do win both Georgia seats does this mean there will be a gap when it is 50-49 Republican?

California governor, a Democrat, Gavin Newsom, appoints a replacement. I think any gap would be very brief. 

20 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Rick Santorum is already launching the new Republican talking point: Georgia should elect at least 1 Republican as Senator for the sake of national unity.

I think you’ll be hearing that a lot. Georgia, it’s your duty, or else the Democrats will ram through a rejected agenda!

Now I just need to hack your Pokémon Go account and make you chase unregistered voters in the state.... 

Archived