US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

23 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

This thread with more details is also amazing:

Particularly this bit: "I’ve arrived at Four Seasons Landscaping. It’s next to an adult book store called Fantasy Island."

I also like the bit where half the press leave once they hear the race has been called for Biden.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Getting back to Harris' Senate replacement, here's a pretty comprehensive list of potential appointees.  The clear favorites are at the top - US Rep. Karen Bass and California AG Xavier Beccera.  I'd really like both, basically a coin flip for me.  Any preferences?

Xavier.  He has more of a political future.  And the recent election has taught us that the Dems desperately need to appeal to Latino voters.  

23 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Since the late arriving ballots wont make a difference in the ultimate EV count, I imagine there is not path to the Supreme Court now. All of Trump's legal challenges should slowly go away one by one, and then someone will have to break the news to him.

There's still the risk that a Republican state legislature tries to the whole "lets appoint our own state electors instead and ignore the election." And then tries to convince SCOTUS that its okay to do that post election. I think there's a relatively low chance any state tries it, and then also a low chance that SCOTUS is okay with it. But I don't think its a 0% chance. It's why I really look forward to GA eventually getting called for Biden, and hopefully AZ too. It create more of a cushion against anything like that. Right now all it would take is the MI or PA or WI legislature to go "fuck it" and roll the dice.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

There's still the risk that a Republican state legislature tries to the whole "lets appoint our own state electors instead and ignore the election."

Pretty sure that's not happening in PA. Didn't Rick Santorum read a message on air, from the present Speaker of the state House, saying that electors are decided only by the popular vote?

25 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Maybe his staff could trick him into going to Mar-a-lago, where everyone pretends that he is still President. He need never know!

What I did after I stopped being President. 

Woke up at 6 AM and cleared head by sending 15-20 tweets accusing Obama of spying on my campaign and getting caught.  Called into Fox & Friends and talked about how Fox has changed and doesn't treat us fairly anymore.  Also wished Melania happy birthday and admitted I forgot to buy her a present.  Pretended it was totally normal that she was never in the same place as me anymore.

Played a few rounds of golf.  Ate a double cheesburger with fries on a plate made of solid gold.  Gave an interview to Bob Woodward and allowed him to tape it because....reasons.  Hatewatched CNN.  Worked off narcissistic injury by repeatedly calling Chris Cuomo 'Fredo'.  Wished Kellyanne hadn't left me.  Settled down to Sean but found him too subservient.  Switched to Tucker instead.  Wished Roger Ailes was alive.  Wished it was 2016.  

I don't think not being president is going to much different for him than being president.  

What are you going to do to help try to heal the nation? Half, or near enough as makes no difference, of the people who voted voted for Trump. Healing the nation doesn't mean just getting into your own huddle of the people who brought Biden to office and ignore the rest. I imagine there are millions of Trump voters who have no desire to heal anything, except their own emotional wounds, then get ready to fight even harder. But some will see what the last 4 years, and in particular 2020 had done to the country and be willing to try to chart a different course.

Of course it may be able to start with family who voted differently to you.

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Pretty sure that's not happening in PA. Didn't Rick Santorum read a message on air, from the present Speaker of the state House, saying that electors are decided only by the popular vote?

Yeah, PA state leaders have been pretty forceful against it so far; too their credit. No telling if they won't fall to MAGA pressure though.

OTOH, in Michigan,

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/07/gop-state-lawmakers-issue-subpoena-michigan-election-records/6203094002/

LANSING — The Michigan Legislature on Saturday issued a subpoena to state election officials as Republican lawmakers launched an investigation of what they say are possible election irregularities in Michigan.

The rare Saturday state legislative hearing, a joint hearing of the House and Senate Oversight committees, took place at about the same time that major networks and other news organizations were declaring Democrat Joe Biden the election victor over Republican President Donald Trump, based on vote counts showing Biden had won enough states to reach the required threshold of 270 electoral votes.

Likely nothing; but could be something.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Yeah, no. The focus should be on supporting the organizers and organizations that carried us to this point. The other side can join or get out of the way. They want to heal? *They* need to do the work. 

OK, no healing it is then. Oh well, let the downfall of American democracy continue. If the victor does not help raise up the vanquished then discontent and vengeance will seethe in their hearts, until they get their turn.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What are you going to do to help try to heal the nation? Half, or near enough as makes no difference, of the people who voted voted for Trump. Healing the nation doesn't mean just getting into your own huddle of the people who brought Biden to office and ignore the rest. I imagine there are millions of Trump voters who have no desire to heal anything, except their own emotional wounds, then get ready to fight even harder. But some will see what the last 4 years, and in particular 2020 had done to the country and be willing to try to chart a different course.

Of course it may be able to start with family who voted differently to you.

I tend to think of Trump and Trumpism like gay marriage.  David Shor made a similar point in that piece everyone is talking about.  Gay marriage got gradually more and more popular from the 80s onwards until it ran into the whirlpool of the 2004 presidential campaign.  Then it suddenly became markedly less popular.  It did the trick for the Bush campaign in turning out the vote.  And then it was neglected again as a political issue and continued to get more and more popular until now it commands a broad consensus among the population.  I think something like that, in reverse, will be the case for Trump.  Once he is out of office and his party moves on his crimes, blunders, and political philosophy will be repudiated until a broad national consensus forms about what a disaster as president he was.   

So I, personally, will not do anything to heal the country.  They don't want to hear from me, not even sympathy.  I will just wait and hope they decide to move on from him. 

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

OK, no healing it is then. Oh well, let the downfall of American democracy continue. If the victor does not help raise up the vanquished then discontent and vengeance will seethe in their hearts, until they get their turn.

Are you the one who kept telling Charlie Brown it was a good idea to kick the football?

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would think it's the policies that Democrats want which would help people heal when they actually get help. Beyond that not sure how many of us can even approach a Trump voter without being told to leave the country to the whites who "rightfully" own it.

But surely the focus should be on the varied groups who worked so hard to carry Biden-Harris across the finish line?

Say, for example, black voters. [Sorry should've said black people, regardless of whether they chose to vote for Biden].

Archived