US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

1 minute ago, Sci-2 said:

I would think it's the policies that Democrats want which would help people heal when they actually get help. Beyond that not sure how many of us can even approach a Trump voter without being told to leave the country to the whites who "rightfully" own it.

But surely the focus should be on the varied groups who worked so hard to carry Biden-Harris across the finish line?

Say, for example, black voters.

You can't walk and chew gum?

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

OK, no healing it is then. Oh well, let the downfall of American democracy continue. If the victor does not help raise up the vanquished then discontent and vengeance will seethe in their hearts, until they get their turn.

As Micah Cohen tweeted - You can't wake someone up that is pretending to be asleep.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

OK fine, retreat back to your corners and wait for the other side to make the first move, see if that works out. I bet you it won't.

What's this 'time to heal' or 'coming together' look like to you? 

Genuinely curious and not trolling.  People always say they want to see people work across the aisle or bring people together.  I genuinely have no idea what that actually looks like in practice.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

OK, no healing it is then. Oh well, let the downfall of American democracy continue. If the victor does not help raise up the vanquished then discontent and vengeance will seethe in their hearts, until they get their turn.

Oh FFS.

Have you seen who carried Biden to victory? The most discounted, marginalized, and most tread upon citizens of this country. And how many of them need raising up? So yeah, I'm putting my investment into the people who want a better country for all, and healing *them* first.

Your very fine people on both sides post can get launched into the sun. 

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It doesn't work when one side doesn't act in good faith.

Yes the divided electorate is a problem that is destroying our political culture. But the Trumpists have to prove they are past their "make liberals cry" bullshit. Otherwise it's just a series of surrenders to their whiny pissy crying.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You can't walk and chew gum?

If the walking is paying attention to the concerns of black voters* and the chewing gum is investigating just how in bed Trump was with Russia, sure. I can probably even do it on a unicycle, if that unicycle is making sure LGBT aren't fired for being who they are.

Perhaps you can get off your high horse and give us some advice? How should I approach the rabid Trump voter who thinks Soros flooded the country with "brown skinned third worlders" (actual quote)?

* [Sorry should've said black people, regardless of whether they chose to vote for Biden].

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

OK fine, retreat back to your corners and wait for the other side to make the first move, see if that works out. I bet you it won't.

what exactly are you wanting us to do?   Self flagellate over more trump safaris?

Healing a wound requires treating the wound. It requires people to recognize what the harm is and what caused it. In order for a king to accept the bending of the knee you have to bend the knee too. 

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

As Micah Cohen tweeted - You can't wake someone up that is pretending to be asleep.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

1 minute ago, Killjoybear said:

In order for a king to accept the bending of the knee you have to bend the knee too. 

Yeah.  Can't really even start contemplating "healing" until Republicans - from elected officials on down to the electorate - at least acknowledge that Biden won.  Pretty much impossible to "come together" before that happens.

4 hours ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

If Georgia goes and elects 1 Republican and 1 Democratic Senator after all of this, I'll be angrier than I would be if they just elect 2 Republicans.

Not really, but kinda also really.

I know you're not being completely serious here so I don't wanna harangue you or nothing, and also I don't know where you're from so I don't know if you exactly fit into what I'm talking about but I feel like it should be said and this is as good a post as any to key off from: from the outside looking in the general tendency of Dems in blue states etc to dismiss the South with 'let's just let them secede' 'fuck you for not electing Abrams' etc etc is really unfair to Dems in those areas working their fucking tits off, often with seemingly little support from the national party, to try to change things for the better. Especially since even jokingly said those kind of sentiments come with a flavour of 'well then we'll just abandon you for not working hard enough'. And I know that at least some Southern Dems/allies find the glibness frustrating coz somehow I've ended up following a few of them on twitter and it comes up a lot.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Trying to heal with the extreme fringes who didn't wanna change is how Brexit happened in the UK. It's how the Repubs let Trump into power in the first place. You can't do that shit. That the extreme fringes have become half the country now in both cases is a problem, but you won't fix anything by trying to meet them half way, because they ain't gonna fucking move. There's a solid, enthusiastic and charismatic leftist wing growing in the US too, appeal to them. Heal with them.  Give them  the boost that treating with instead of fighting the currently elected centrist government brings. Because you can't treat with both but we all know which ones are gonna be better for the country and world.

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Bipartisanship as an inherently venerable practice is a crock of shit to begin with.  We've had plenty of horrific legislation that both parties supported.  The Iraq War, the Patriot Act, and the 2005 credit/bankruptcy bill spring to mind.

The national debt....

16 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I tend to think of Trump and Trumpism like gay marriage.  David Shor made a similar point in that piece everyone is talking about.  Gay marriage got gradually more and more popular from the 80s onwards until it ran into the whirlpool of the 2004 presidential campaign.  Then it suddenly became markedly less popular.  It did the trick for the Bush campaign in turning out the vote.  And then it was neglected again as a political issue and continued to get more and more popular until now it commands a broad consensus among the population.  I think something like that, in reverse, will be the case for Trump.  Once he is out of office and his party moves on his crimes, blunders, and political philosophy will be repudiated until a broad national consensus forms about what a disaster as president he was.   

So I, personally, will not do anything to heal the country.  They don't want to hear from me, not even sympathy.  I will just wait and hope they decide to move on from him. 

The only way for it to ever go away, is to defeat at the polls, heavily. If all the vulnerable GOP senators had dropped and maybe even a few more house seats, and ideally with Biden turning Texas and/or Florida. Then there would've been a fair chance of Trumpism retreating back into its cave.

However, that's not what happened. Biden got more votes than any other President in history, and he barely managed to squeeze out a win. The Senate did not flip. And the GOP made gains in the house, with Trump increasing his turnout. So, I am more sceptical regarding the future of fascism in the GOP and the US in general. I think a realignment with formerly Republican strongholds in the college educated suburbs, who are utterly turned off by that (aka the Lincoln Project) joining the Democrats for the long run. The good news is, the suburbs are growing (thus so should the Democrat voting base). Graham and Cruz publicly siding with the outgoing President on his election fraud nonsense are a good indicator for that. They are positioning themselves for 2024, and will try to satisfy the demands of the fascist vote.

On a seperate note. Anybody with a twitter account, can you deliver an all caps

LOSER tweet to the outgoing potus?

I was a little surprised by how much open joy there is in the streets. Today was a nice day (70 degrees and sunny in November north of Boston!) and people were out and about. A couple towns up from me, a pretty beach town with nice shopping, there were a few people gathered in a town square playing music, holding up Biden-Harris banners and signs, and LOTS of people honking and waving.

By the way @Tywin et al. there are still plenty of Biden-Harris yard signs out. The Trumpist signs are mostly gone. I guess the rent is due.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was a little surprised by how much open joy there is in the streets. Today was a nice day (70 degrees and sunny in November north of Boston!) and people were out and about. A couple towns up from me, a pretty beach town with nice shopping, there were a few people gathered in a town square playing music, holding up Biden-Harris banners and signs, and LOTS of people honking and waving.

By the way @Tywin et al. there are still plenty of Biden-Harris yard signs out. The Trumpist signs are mostly gone. I guess the rent is due.

Wish I had been in downtown Boston this weekend -- would have been worth partaking in the celebration. 

38 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I like Garcia or Barbara Lee

Garcia 4 Life! You and me brother, let’s do this! (Do what? I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out)

38 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Giuliani embarrassing himself, so... nothing new.

I politely informed Rudy that literally everyone knows he’s the stupidest sack of shit on the planet, and Twitter put me on another timeout.

Archived