US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

11 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

This puts things in perspective.  And shows racism is...

I assume that's the breakdown from one of Obama's victories, right? No way did Biden win the white vote in Iowa.

20 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

And the circular firing squad begins over 2024 “progressive priorities” and who meets the progressive purity tests...and she hasn’t even been sworn in as VP :bang:

This is such a idiotic take. In 2024, we are going to have a presidential primary. Why would we all line up behind someone who does not actually represent our interests when trying to decide who is going to lead the party? The Left is on the ascendancy, we're not just going to stand by and allow the neo-liberal policies that have gotten us to this point to continue unchallenged. If Harris aligns herself with us, great, if not we're going to back someone who does. That does not mean that the left won't support the eventual nominee, just that we're going to demand better.

ETA: Saw your response to Great Unwashed, point still stands, but less so directed at you specifically

17 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

problem is, the US, is at best fundamentally *center-right,* NOT centrists or center left.  Progressive measures will be incremental at best, and to have *any* chance of success have to appeal to a right/center right mentality.

Except that isn't necessarily true. All around the country, we have seen proposals that are distinctly progressive pass in many states, both red and blue. The problem isn't the policies themselves, the problem is that the Democrats are reviled by the same people we want to help. Democrats have allowed Republicans to define them for too long. The failure of Neo-liberal policies has made it hard to say what exactly the Democrats are for, with the Republicans demonizing the Democrats while the Dems peddle in craven, incremental policies that are means tested into oblivion that don't make a difference in the lives of the average American and therefore do not move the needle.

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

All of that is great, but it sounded like you’d not support/stay home in 2024 if Harris turned out to be not progressive enough for your liking.

That’s how the Republicans win. 

That wasn't what I meant. I meant she'd be my first primary choice. My primary goal as a leftist is harm reduction.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Jesus just between the Biden and Harris families there's a shitload of people on stage.

Yeah I'm not comfortable with that, regardless of masks.

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Right? I don’t have words 

I don't think any other candidate but Biden could have succeeded as well as he did.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There were a lot of people in the crowd not wearing masks. I hope it doesn’t turn into a super spreader event.

That would be extremely unfortunate.

There's no good reason for the risk.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There were a lot of people in the crowd not wearing masks. I hope it doesn’t turn into a super spreader event.

Could say the same thing about all the celebrations this afternoon, at least from the coverage I glanced at every once in awhile.

Not going to lie, I got so emotional during Kamala's speech my 12 yo gave an 'aw' and my 10 yo came over and hugged me. 

Joe's going to be good, but Kamala, she's the real deal, folks. You'll see.

Those people have been tested tested tested and are in the presidential elect bubble.  And it was outdoors.  And they were wearing masks.  The only hugging that went on was between people who probably hug all the time all day -- Bill and Jill and Hunter, Kamala and Doug and the children, etc.  None of the demos and protests were spreader occasions here and they went on all the time all summer and this fall and are continuing.  The spreader events come from weddings hidden indoors with hundreds of guests, rave same with hundreds of guests, bars, etc.

"Science" has never been invoked so often. But as They have broken the very concept of science as a tool and a test and a verification in the global discourse, it, like everything else, has to be redeemed for the national discourse.

From the beginning of the pandemic I have liked the tamping down of hoopla and display for the national political events (except, of course, for a 'debate' which meant Big Loser blowharding nonstop, lying nonstop unscientfically!).

Every time we've been addressed from Wilmington, Partner and I have visual memories of that place and the train station, where people from C-- would either pick us up or drop us off on trips from or to NYC. Quite a drive from there to C--.

Thank Lordessa Joe and Kamala are likable and so is Jill -- I think she will indeed be a great first lady, just like Michelle Obama was. I imagine Doug is too, but I've seen less of him. Jill was around with them when it was the Obama years.

They are partying as they can in the ICE camps too, we see.

Gads, I did tear up during Harris's speech. This really makes me tear up.

29 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I own all of Steve Winwood’s shit!

I celebrate his entire catalog, but...man The Finer Things is such a great song that doesn't get enough love because of being overshadowed by his bigger hits.

Archived