UK Politics - Not a Special Relationship

Werthead

I think I'm conflating different people's opinions on BJ onto 1.

Thinking of BJ's reaction to Obama, Harris' dislike of BJ's racism, Biden's likening of BJ to Trump. And wasn't it one of Biden's advisors who said BJ was a lying snake (paraphrasing)?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

This article is best read with a laughter track. It's hilarious, and the tinge of panic in the writer's voice as he realises that the US election means his dreams of the hardest of hard Brexits have gone down the toilet and no, Britain does have to listen to what Ireland wants because they now have the upper hand in the relationship, is most entertaining.

It is ... superb.

I can't help but enjoy the gallows humour of the double think. Post Brexit UK will be strong and independent freed from the shackles of the EU! But arrgh, the US is now going to use its economic clout to bully us!

17 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Brexiteers saying Lords are unelected and unaccountable. They're right. So why are they still part of the legislative process? I wonder if Conservatives (and conservatives) would be down for passing a law to disestablish the HoL, or at least take it out of the legislative loop? If they are a rubber stamp then they are a pointless and expensive waste of time and space.

One of the main reasons the House of Lords is still part of the legislative process is that Tories blocked attempts at reform during the Coalition government (the Lib Dems being very keen on the idea). I suspect a Venn diagram of the Tories who voted against reform and Tories now complaining about the House of Lords blocking Brexit bills might have a fair amount of overlap.

The thing about the House of Lords is that it's unelected and almost unaccountable, which is not great for democracy. However, that also makes them completely immune from politicking and arsing around, and quite a lot of the time even the Tory peers are happy to put the brakes on government policy if they think it's flawed. They do, reasonably often, actually do a decent job of holding the government to account.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

This article is best read with a laughter track. It's hilarious, and the tinge of panic in the writer's voice as he realises that the US election means his dreams of the hardest of hard Brexits have gone down the toilet and no, Britain does have to listen to what Ireland wants because they now have the upper hand in the relationship, is most entertaining.

They haven't, so Biden probably doesn't "personally" hate Johnson. He did indicate he through Johnson had a lot in common with Trump last year though, and Biden is bonkers about his (fairly marginal, many-generations removed) Irish background, which seems to make him less well-disposed to the British POV.

To be fair Brendan O'Neill always sounds like he is panicking. I would not assume no deal has been killed by the US election result.

The stinky secret is that a US trade deal would do basically nothing to repair the damage done by a severance of the current trading arrangements with Europe. Quite a few Brexiteers seem to assume (wrongly) that it would though, so the prospect of the US refusing to go ahead with a trade deal because of dissatisfaction with the Irish situation terrifies them. 

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The thing about the House of Lords is that it's unelected and almost unaccountable, which is not great for democracy. However, that also makes them completely immune from politicking and arsing around, and quite a lot of the time even the Tory peers are happy to put the brakes on government policy if they think it's flawed. They do, reasonably often, actually do a decent job of holding the government to account.

If it was transformed into more of a watchdog over the HoC with some actual teeth, kind of like a constitutional, and international law / treaties check-off, rather than an actual voting chamber, to help protect the monarch from signing something that breaks other laws, conventions or agreements, might that be a better place for an unelected life-time appointment institution to occupy in government? Even if it's to say, you can't ask the monarch to sign this bill unless you change X, Y and Z, and re-negotiate treaty A, and send the govt and HoC off to do those things.

Like, you can't ask the queen to sign the internal markets bill unless you re-negotiate the withdrawal agreement or withdraw from it entirely. If you do one of those 2 things, then we can send the bill to the queen for her to sign.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Different attitudes towards animal welfare prevent there ever being a US/UK trade deal.

I think it's abundantly clear that Johnson was prepared to sell that down the river to get a deal with the US. The Americans under Trump made it very clear that those things would have to be accepted as part of any deal and the UK government was prepared to discuss those things (maybe thinking they could water them down, but that would have been a forlorn hope).

More interesting is that most of the UK's supermarket chains (barring Tesco and pre-Walmart-selloff Asda though) had already agreed to voluntarily not stock any American chicken and other imports, but I suspect that would have been legally challenged.

Now it's - very likely - a moot issue.

The dirty little secret is that the US and UK were not negotiating terribly hard for a deal even prior to the US general election.  That's partly because of mutual dysfunction, partly because Trump's wishes (or perceived wishes) rarely translate into US government action (except when it's about putting kids in cages).  The whole thing was a pipe-dream. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Different attitudes towards animal welfare prevent there ever being a US/UK trade deal.

Countries don't align animal welfare standards in trade deals except at superficial level. So it is a non-issue. At most you would be making sure humane slaughter regulations are in place, and for the USA there are federal humane slaughter requirements, so it's covered. Hormone use is where things may become unstuck.

When we completed our annual report to the USA on meat production they tried to ask us procedural details about humane slaughter and we told them to naff off. If they want to know more, all our standards and regulations are free access to the public on the web.

Our veterinary agreement with the EU has a pretty light touch on animal welfare.

Also chlorine washed chicken is a complete nonsense from a food safety perspective. There is no SPS justification for blocking chlorine wash and I for one am all in favour of the USA breaking down that ridiculous trade barrier. Local producers can use the fact of not chlorinating their chicken as a marketing advantage.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’m unsure of how to properly insult Englanders. Shall I bite my thumb at him? I read something about that in an English book once, I think.

For Boris,  I think Quoting a few Shakespearian insults would work.  extra marks if you first translate them into Latin.

or throw a milkshake at him.

Archived