Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

Becerra's committee vote is straight party-line:

The vote means Becerra's nomination can still go to the full Senate, but there will be an added step of Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) moving to discharge the nomination from committee, followed by an added vote in the full Senate on discharging it.

All Democrats on the committee voted for his nomination, and all Republicans voted against, on the evenly split panel.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

No Romney/Collins/Murkowski on the committee, so it doesn't necessarily mean the final vote will be straight party line (or that Manchin would have a veto if he wants). However the senate finance committee does include Portman, who voted for every nomination up to now (not counting Tanden). It's also gotten Republicans like Thune, Young, Cornyn, Crapo, Grassley, and Burr, who have voted for the vast majority of them. If all of them are voting no Becerra, there's not many other Republicans who might be voting yes.

Yeah they seem united on this one, wouldn't be surprised if it's party-line for the entire chamber.  Especially now that they've been deprived of voting down Tanden.

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah they seem united on this one, wouldn't be surprised if it's party-line for the entire chamber.  Especially now that they've been deprived of voting down Tanden.

Democrats best get used to this extra step. It is likely we will see more of this especially when we see votes on Clarke and Gupta. I look at the Republican members of the Judiciary Committee and the only possible Republican vote looks to be Sasse for either one of them. I'm not holding my breath on the Nebraska Senator bucking the Republican tide. it's a good thing that Manchin isn't on the Judiciary Committee.

On the positive side, I see Katherine Tai received a favorable vote out of committee for US Trade Representative. So, she joins the others just needing the final confirmation vote.

Well, of the remaining cabinet secretaries, looks like Haaland at least won't be party line

Might just end up being Murkowski though. Not many other states compare to Alaska in terms of how politically relevant NA/AN issues are.

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

Might just end up being Murkowski though. Not many other states compare to Alaska in terms of how politically relevant NA/AN issues are.

Collins announced yesterday she'd vote for Haaland.  Wouldn't be surprised if Romney and Portman do too.

42 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Yay bleak futurism that confirms my biases

Is there a reason you posted this here or was it just a mistake?  Not trying to be anal or anything, just wondering.

Deb Haaland is voted out favorably in an 11-9 vote. Senator Murkowski is the only Republican on the committee to vote in her favor. One step left to confirmation. With Manchin, Murkowski, and Collins saying they will vote for her, it looks clear that Haaland will have enough votes to win a confirmation vote as the new Secretary of the Interior. An historic vote when it happens.

Biden to nominate Lina Khan to the FTC:

Along with the recent hiring of TIM WU as an economic adviser inside the White House — also first reported in Playbook — the addition of Khan signals that Biden is poised to pursue an aggressive regulatory agenda when it comes to Amazon, Google, Facebook and other tech giants. [...]

The ascendance of Khan and Wu, two of the most important intellectuals in the recent progressive antitrust revival, signals a break with that past and hints that Biden is sympathetic to the left’s view that Obama’s laissez-faire policies helped engender the populist backlash that ended with DONALD TRUMP’S election.

Adding Khan to the FTC, a move that will likely be greeted with alarm by the tech industry, also suggests that the White House is already laying the groundwork for a second act that will include a big regulatory push once its early legislative agenda runs its course.

Also of note, she's only 32, and would be the youngest commissioner ever.

In confirmation news, Garland and Fudge have scheduled cloture votes later today.  Garland's floor vote will be tomorrow, along with Regan's cloture vote.  Not sure if Fudge's floor vote will be tomorrow or later.

14 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Pretty interesting that, based on yesterday's cloture votes, Fudge is gonna get about the same amount of votes as Garland.  And there's significant differences in the GOP members who voted yay for each.

Both higher totals then I expected.

Fudge waited until after voting on the COVID bill before officially resigning from the House. Hopefully just because she wanted to vote for the bill and not because there was any concern her vote was needed. Per Ohio special election laws, her seat isn't going to be filled until August at the earliest.

Golden was the only Dem nay vote, so I strongly suspect she just wanted to vote for it.

Should be noted that if/when Regan is confirmed later this week, Biden will have confirmed 16 Cabinet-level posts - equalling the total Obama had confirmed at this point.  Considering everything else that's happened, that's another impressive accomplishment for this administration.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Golden was the only Dem nay vote, so I strongly suspect she just wanted to vote for it.

Should be noted that if/when Regan is confirmed later this week, Biden will have confirmed 16 Cabinet-level posts - equalling the total Obama had confirmed at this point.  Considering everything else that's happened, that's another impressive accomplishment for this administration.

Michael Regan was just confirmed.

Archived