Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

Just wanted to say now that we're in the homestretch, I've read this thread title alternately as "Picking Biden's Nose" and "Picking Biden's C.A.B.".  The latter is, for those unfamiliar, an abbreviation of "cock and balls". 

Yep, refers to the whole package.  Probabaly says more about me than anything else but just wanted to share.

38 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Just wanted to say now that we're in the homestretch, I've read this thread title alternately as "Picking Biden's Nose" and "Picking Biden's C.A.B.".  The latter is, for those unfamiliar, an abbreviation of "cock and balls". 

Happy I could amuse you.  Pretty sure I was just going for the most succinct title possible.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Happy I could amuse you.  Pretty sure I was just going for the most succinct title possible.

Well, you scratched an itch, anyway.

I feel like "Biden's Cabinet, not picking or touching or anything weird" or "Biden; The circle of trust" would have been much more succinct with less opportunity for confusion, but hey, what do I know?

Cardona has already majorly reversed on Cruella DeVos on the defrauded students.  And like, seriously right away like they had that locked-and-loaded day 1.  

you all seem like junkies, so you know, but in case not it's like there were people that went to U. of Phoenix except even way worse, got debt like it was Stanford MBA with no endowment help, and then no one would hire them so suicide looked good.  DeVos was like Hell Yeah to this, and mean Obama was going to help the nasty needy students and not the poor finance "service" crew.  

So anywho Cardona 100% crushing that shit just like is kind epic in that little circle of the world..

So then the question.  Is C. DeVos watching this and mad about it?  Was she that committed to punishing the victims?  

There's tons of sub-cabinet positions that require senate confirmation still, but now that the cabinet is in place the real question becomes: when are we going to start getting judicial nominations?

As of March 1, there were already 64 federal court vacancies that can start getting filled any time.

Shalanda Young's cloture vote went 62-38.  For all the talk of bipartisan support, that's pretty damn low, relatively speaking.  What's more surprising is some of the members that voted against her - McConnell, Thune, Cornyn and Young have been pretty deferential as leadership (or ex-leadership); and Romney, Portman, Capito, Grassley even more so.  Plus non-Trumpists Toomey and Sasse.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1374437476845060104

Duckworth and Hirono announce they won't vote for any more Biden nominees, or possibly just any more white, straight nominees (and possibly just any more white, straight, male nominees) until there's a firm commitment for more Asian American/Pacific Islander nominees to various sub-cabinet positions.

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

Duckworth and Hirono announce they won't vote for any more Biden nominees, or possibly just any more white, straight nominees (and possibly just any more white, straight, male nominees) until there's a firm commitment for more Asian American/Pacific Islander nominees to various sub-cabinet positions.

From what I read Duckworth said she'd still vote for any BIPOC or LGBTQ nominee.  Sounds like straight white women were would be a no as well.  Also should be noted this goes for any judicial nominees as well.  Sounds like she wants an AAPI person for OMB, FCC, or a commitment for a future Cabinet post - and they mean the Cabinet proper.  Biden shoulda listened to me and nominated Julie Su as head at Labor when he had the chance...

Not sure this was the best method to accomplish better representation. Biden can't afford to look weak or susceptible to blackmail this early in his mandate, so I'm guessing he will push back or ignore them.

I think they'll work something out.  This has been simmering since Biden was the first president to not nominate a Cabinet secretary since Clinton.  And then the whole thing with Tanden added insult to injury.  Duckworth and Hirono aren't out to block all Biden nominations, they just want to get his attention, which is warranted.

With the Young and Murthy nominations confirmed today, the Senate moves on tomorrow to vote on the nominations of Rachel Levine, Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, and David Turk, Deputy Secretary of Energy. If Levine is confirmed she will be the first trans woman to hold such a position. Adewale  Adeyemo, nominee for Deputy Secretary of the Treasury, is likely to be up next on Thursday.

Of interest, though she was never formally sent forward for Senate confirmation, Elizabeth Klein was withdrawn from consideration as the Deputy Secretary of the Interior position. According to reporting, this is due to objections from Senators Manchin and Murkowski.

Figured I'd put this here as it was recently mentioned and it fits as using this as a catchall for appointments/confirmations - Biden to release his first wave of judicial nominees:

The White House is expected to release its first slate of judicial nominees as early as Tuesday, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

President Joe Biden plans to tap 11 nominees for the federal bench, including three Black women, sources said. At least two of those women will be named to the appeals courts, according to allies of his administration briefed on the selections. [...]

Biden, a former chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, begins his presidency with 68 judicial vacancies — seven appellate court vacancies and 61 district court vacancies. That number of vacancies is fewer than what former President Donald Trump inherited upon entering the White House. Trump had an open Supreme Court seat, 86 district court seats and 17 circuit court seats to fill.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

About time. 

A very good first step. Kentaji BrownJackson should be the first pick for the SCOTUS when there is an opening. Her opinion against Trump's crazy claims of Presidential immunity alone should qualify her to be on the High Court.

Now, I'm looking for who will be the next Solicitor General? Leondra Kruger?

Archived