Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

• 2 months later...

Reviving this because I saw that Christine Wormuth was confirmed as the first ever female Secretary of the Army this past Thursday.  Interestingly, there have been 4 female secretaries of the Air Force (plus one Acting) - including two under Trump (plus the one Acting).  Still no female secretaries of the Navy.

Of course, Biden already appointed the first female Deputy SecDef in Kathleen Hicks.  Since I was bored, looked up how Biden was doing on confirming Deputy Secretaries.  Of the 15 departments in the Cabinet proper, 10 deputies have been confirmed.  The 5 remaining vacancies are Interior, Labor, HUD, Veteran's Affairs, and Homeland Security (which does have an acting Deputy). 

Interior makes sense due to Manchin and Murkowski putting the kibosh on Elizabeth Klein.  Her prospective replacement, Tommy Beaudreau, was only announced a month and a half ago.  John Tien, Biden's nominee for deputy at Homeland, and Donald Remy, the nominee for deputy at VA, were announced around the same time.  Adrianne Todman, the HUD nominee, was announced a bit earlier - late March.  The Labor nominee, Julie Su, I suspect is gonna gain a lot of opposition - including blaming her for the California unemployment fraud fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, DMC said:

Reviving this because I saw that Christine Wormuth was confirmed as the first ever female Secretary of the Army this past Thursday.  Interestingly, there have been 4 female secretaries of the Air Force (plus one Acting) - including two under Trump (plus the one Acting).  Still no female secretaries of the Navy.

And there won't be anytime soon. It looks like the new Secretary of the Navy will be Carlos Del Toro. Only the second Latinx nominee for that post..

On 5/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, DMC said:

Of the 15 departments in the Cabinet proper, 10 deputies have been confirmed.  The 5 remaining vacancies are Interior, Labor, HUD, Veteran's Affairs, and Homeland Security (which does have an acting Deputy). 

Interior makes sense due to Manchin and Murkowski putting the kibosh on Elizabeth Klein.  Her prospective replacement, Tommy Beaudreau, was only announced a month and a half ago.  John Tien, Biden's nominee for deputy at Homeland, and Donald Remy, the nominee for deputy at VA, were announced around the same time.  Adrianne Todman, the HUD nominee, was announced a bit earlier - late March.  The Labor nominee, Julie Su, I suspect is gonna gain a lot of opposition - including blaming her for the California unemployment fraud fiasco.

I've been watching the same thing. You are likely right about Julie Su, Her name appears regularly on the the Senate Calendar for nomination and I expect we will see some movement this week but she was voted out favorably from the committee. John Tien is in the same position of just waiting for the  confirmation vote. Perhaps a confirmation vote next week for both of them.. Adrianne Todman was just confirmed as Deputy of HUD.

Of course, one of the reasons for the delay is the priority put on getting some of Biden's judges confirmed. The big news today being the confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson to Garland's old seat. Great news!

Archived