US Politics: finally we can get back to blaming each other

Kalbear

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, one of Trump's legacies is erosion of trust in most federal (or otherwise) institutions, the electoral system is no exception. I guess I am holding out hope that if (once) he leaves, the temperature of the nation will go down, a majority of us will go on leading our lives, and this trust can be re-established. I am looking at 2000 where I imagine Democrat's faith in the SC and the electoral process was at a low ebb, but by 2004 most were ready to re-engage in the process.

Republicans are different animals from Democrats, but I still hold out hope that precipitous drop from 70 to 30% that they showed in faith in the electoral system can somewhat be restored (of course, by 2022 we will all be voting in person, so some of their objections will be rendered fangless)

I don't think a lot of this is going to be accurate.

1 - people are going to want to keep voting by mail, because it is friggin awesome. No one who has used this is going to go back. If anything, you'll see more laws about processing ballots earlier so that they can be counted faster. 

2 - Trump's erosion is going to continue because he's not going anywhere. He might leave office, but he's not leaving the news, and people are going to keep listening to him - and he'll keep the temperature higher and higher. 2000 to 2004 isn't entirely comparable because 9-11 happened which changed a lot of, well, everything. 

3 - as David Frum recently said, when democracy fails conservatives they aren't going to change their conservative views; they're going to repudiate and fight democracy. 

15 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

I don't think a lot of this is going to be accurate.

1 - people are going to want to keep voting by mail, because it is friggin awesome. No one who has used this is going to go back. If anything, you'll see more laws about processing ballots earlier so that they can be counted faster. 

Nope. I voted by mail in the primary in Nebraska this year, but I voted early in person in the general election. At this point I think that's going to be my pattern from now on -- early in person. I do not trust the competency of the post office, and that's actually not a political statement. I just want to be absolutely sure I get my ballot and it gets returned, and even a .01% chance of it getting lost in the mail is too much for me. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/upshot/polls-what-went-wrong.html

....But in the end, the polling error in states was virtually identical to the miss from 2016, despite the steps taken to fix things. The Upshot’s handy “If the polls were as wrong as they were in 2016” chart turned out to be more useful than expected, and it nailed Joe Biden’s one-point-or-less leads in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Arizona.

The polls were off in 2020 in almost the same ways they were off in 2016....

IOW, just like last time, polling these days is pretty well useless at predicting what's going to happen with an operation this enormous with such an enormous dependency up on so many million individuals all of whom have their own idiosyncratic motivation for making the choices they make, which cannot be quantified.  But nobody wants to admit that.

What does work of course, the influence of decades of right wing propaganda running 24/7.  Just look at the softening of the brain among North Dakotans after 35 years of Rush Limbaugh in their heads in the car, the pickup, the flat-bed truck, the tractor cab, the agriculture store, the car dealership, the bar.  They still refuse to do anything about what's going on with Covid-19, except, the governor is giving permission now for nurses tested positive to keep working -- while there are no more hospital beds in the entire state, the death rate and new infections are higher again today than yesterday, and higher than any other state.  But they are fighting the good fight over the Senate seat to which a dead person (dead of covid) has been elected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/us/politics/trump-pac.html

Trump Forms PAC in Hopes of Keeping Hold on G.O.P.

The PAC can accept donations from an unlimited number of people and spend to benefit other candidates, allowing the president to retain influence in a party remade largely in his image.

....On Monday night, fund-raising solicitations from the Trump campaign revealed that 60 percent of donations would be directed to the new entity, “Save America.”

A Trump campaign spokesman, Tim Murtaugh, said the committee had been in the works for a while....

Except, of course, like all the other campaign funding these last 4 years, he'll embezzle that too to finance his debt. Evidently kool aid drinkers can be fooled over and over without end to their foolish foolableness.

15 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Anyone else scared of a post-president Trump blabbing and weaponizing state secrets once he's out of office? 

I take that as a given.  I wouldn't be surprised if our intelligence agencies are not aware of that possibility.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone think he will not do it?

Putin has all of a sudden become a great supporter of American democracy and will not congratulate Biden and Harris until, I guess, the Electoral College makes it official, or maybe even until the inauguration happens, because you never know, eh? I’m sure somewhere along the way Trump will publicly thank him for being “loyal” to him. He’s probably doing it in private right now.

I’m just waiting for rocket man Kim to make a similar announcement.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't, only because he didn't pay attention to most of his briefings all that much. He hasn't had a foreign briefing since October. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, he didn’t even listen to, or understand, what he was told on the day he was told it. He’s not going to be able to remember anything interesting after the fact. 

33 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Nope. I voted by mail in the primary in Nebraska this year, but I voted early in person in the general election. At this point I think that's going to be my pattern from now on -- early in person. I do not trust the competency of the post office, and that's actually not a political statement. I just want to be absolutely sure I get my ballot and it gets returned, and even a .01% chance of it getting lost in the mail is too much for me. 

This is why Washington also has drop boxes. 

Any case, I think you're a very slim minority. 

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I imagine people in his orbit have preserved useful information.

Yeah, but they probably aren't going to blab - they'll just use it for economic gain. 

5 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

I don't, only because he didn't pay attention to most of his briefings all that much. He hasn't had a foreign briefing since October. 

This is my take. He's dumb and uncurious. He'll be giving Putin the foreign policy equivalent of the bleach injection recommendation.

So Democrats will have a majority of maybe 5 in the House. Republicans have a net gain of 6 and possibly more seats despite aggregate votes being about 2.5 million (1.6%) in favour of Democrats. I imagine if aggregate votes in 2022 are less than 1.5% in favour of Democrats they will lose the House.

16 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm afraid Biden is taking exactly the wrong tack when it comes to messaging. He's letting Trump dominate the narrative.

There's not much more he can do at the moment. It's just like when the networks would cut away from Hillary mid-speech to cover an empty podium awaiting Trump. I'd be more worried about him continuing to suck up all the oxygen after he's left office.

Archived