US Politics: finally we can get back to blaming each other

Kalbear

2 hours ago, Killjoybear said:

And score one (albeit a small one) for progressives:

Seth Harris is also on Biden's transition team, not exactly a win for workers rights.

https://prospect.org/api/amp/politics/prop-22-is-a-dress-rehearsal-for-this-biden-cabinet-hopeful/?__twitter_impression=true

re: sock puppet PA dude - seems this wasn't his first rodeo either:

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

The gerrymander we're looking at starting in 2022 won't be as bad as it was in 2012, but it will be worse than it is right now.  The changes in the map as a result of court cases and voter shifts has significantly undermined the 2012 map, whereas we'll be starting again fresh in 2022.  Quite possible that even with D+3, we're still looking at a Republican majority, maybe even D+4. 

I think the extent to which the GOP can..refresh their gerrymandering advantage very much remains to be seen.  Starting with the big states the GOP enjoys a trifecta, there's not much more they can do in Texas - just look at the congressional delegation right now and the Cook PVIs.  Although they do have 3 new seats to play with so there is that.  In Georgia they might be able to takeout McBath's seat/district but that's about it.  Plus in both states there's simply more Democratic-leaning voters than there was a decade ago which is inherently gonna make any "refreshing" difficult.

With Florida, yes, the delegation currently is 14/13 (before last week, just going off the wikipedia page) - plus they're getting two more seats. Plus they voters are more red than they were ten years ago.  Once again, Fuck You Florida.

Then if you look at the mid-level states with GOP trifectas, it's virtually impossible to make any further gains than where we're at right now.  TN, IN, MO, AL, MS, SC, OK, UT, NE, WV.  Only one they could do something with is Iowa, which to be fair is more red than it was a decade ago.  After that, the rest of the states they have trifectas in have at most two seats and all would be heavily GOP favored even with a perfectly fair redistricting process.

Finally, after 2010 the GOP had a trifecta in MI, OH, PA, and WI.  Michigan now has an independent commission.  Ohio has some new procedure that's rather complicated.  We'll see how that goes but I think if anything it should actually improve on its current 12/4 split.  I'm quite confident PA is not going to backslide much, if at all, from the 2018 map.  And Wisconsin obviously has Evers.

Where I agree that the "refreshing" is going to suck is with state legislatures.

2 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Are you not aware of the drone program under Obama? Dude is a war criminal, just like basically every single American president since FDR.

I'm really worried about Georgia. it feels like Dems are going to demobilize now that Trump is not on the ballot, and our so called allies the never Trump republicans are going to be encouraging people to vote republican and appealing to the smooth brained idea that divided government is a good thing that Americans have.

What war crime did Obama commit?

2 hours ago, Killjoybear said:

Any case, I think you're a very slim minority. 

If I'd depended on the PO to vote in this election I wouldn't have voted.  

Knowing how easily such mail-in ballots -- including the request for them -- are lost in the PO and online, I'm totally with Ormond on this.  Also knowing how utterly incompetent and lazy and how much the our state's Boards of Elections really don't want to be bothered with votes and voting . . . .

Ya know, Esper alone being fired didn't bother me; it was highly telegraphed and there were plenty of obvious reasons it would happen. But this:

combined with some of the names being brought in is starting to make legit nervous.

Just now, Zorral said:

Knowing how easily such mail-in ballots -- including the request for them -- are lost in the PO and online, I'm totally with Ormond on this.  Also knowing how utterly incompetent and lazy and how much the our state's Boards of Elections really don't want to be bothered with votes and voting . . . .

Yeah, I'd say if you live in NY you should staple your ballot to DeBlasio's head in order to get it counted. NY is really fucked up.

@The Great Unwashed you'll appreciate this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/11/10/its-time-unite-if-its-not-too-big-bother-could-you-accept-results/

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yeah, I requested an absentee ballot, so did my roommate, never showed up.  I live right above a post office and have to get my mail at the PO because our area is rural carrier only or something so if you live near the PO you only have a PO Box.  I know my postal workers very well, and they said that only about a quarter of people in our town who requested them got them.

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

and this just keeps getting weirder.

Obama had a US citizen killed without trial. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

and then killed his son two weeks later.  And then Trump had some other relatives (daughter I think?) killed later 

Can't stop won't stop getting even weirder

28 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I think people should ring the voter fraud hotline to complain about unfair electoral boundaries which disenfranchise them.

You might have trouble getting through. It's being flooded by TikTok kids.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/11/tiktok-users-troll-trump-voter-fraud-reporting-hotline-en-masse/

The North Carolina Senate race has finally ended:

North Carolina Democratic candidate Cal Cunningham announced on Tuesday that he has conceded to GOP Sen. Thom Tillis, ensuring Republicans will keep control of the seat and dramatically shrinking Democrats' path to retaking the majority.

"I just called Senator Tillis to congratulate him on winning re-election to a second term in the U.S. Senate and wished him and his family the best in their continued service in the months and years ahead," Cunningham said in a statement. "The voters have spoken and I respect their decision."

The result is a bit unexpected because Cunningham had led for most of autumn and in their final forecast, FiveThirtyEight had Cunningham's chances of winning at 68%. It appears that a well-timed October surprise can still turn the tide, albeit in a Senate election rather than a presidential one.

Re: mail-in ballots

I feel like there's a few things to consider here. Like, the sheer number of states that had to roll out this program in unprecedented numbers in a very short time plus the absolute shitbird overseeing USPS plus the fact that postal workers were front line workers during this entire pandemic thing and were slammed because of the previously mentioned reasons. I would hope and expect it would be much smoother in two years given they'd have much more time to sort it out.

THE SIMULATION IS SELF AWARE
DAN PURDY AKA PATTI LABELLE'S SON LINKS TO A PHILLY LANDSCAPING PLACE
THIS IS LIKE IN GTA WHERE IF YOU SEE ONE FANCY CAR ALL OF A SUDDEN EVERYTHING IS FANCY CARS

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/10/technology/election-results-trump-biden?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#qanon-struggles-to-keep-the-faith

I did laugh at this.

“They feel really defeated by the deep state, even if they’re not admitting it in public,” said Fredrick Brennan, the founder of 8chan, 8kun’s predecessor site. Mr. Brennan, who has since left the site and become a vocal critic of Mr. Watkins, said that QAnon believers had bought in to the idea that Mr. Trump was fully in control, even as the polls showed him with a slim chance of winning.

“They were not expecting him to lose, and they were not expecting Fox News to call it,” he said. “It was really psychologically damaging.”

Archived