Who is buying all the fake reviews on imdb?

Sigella

Full disclosure; sometimes I read the reviews of GoT on www.imdb.com becuase I'm bitter of how it ended. And I find it pretty laughable it still gets ratings like these:

Spoiler

10/10
Good talk
fksa-5033911 November 2020
The best show in the whole world it's like everything is perfect and great omg it's just I really like it the show so good luck

10/10

No thing

mustafahobashy5 November 2020

Warning: Spoilers

Great series and great cast and crew are everything
 9/10

Great

simonasmilenschi3 November 2020
Great Great movie Great movie movieGreat movie Great movie Great movie
10/10

Perfect in so many ways.

ivan_matyus1 November 2020
Absolut best, you will enjoy all episodes nevermind the critiques.
10/10

I can't seen series GOT

dsingh-5660531 October 2020
I can't seen series in my life. It's really good and unexpected ending ; but I m really loving and enjoy.....if u not see GOT then please watch....

And it just goes on and on...

Now all I wan't to know is who might be paying for this fraud and why?

18 hours ago, Sigella said:

Full disclosure; sometimes I read the reviews of GoT on www.imdb.com becuase I'm bitter of how it ended. And I find it pretty laughable it still gets ratings like these:

Hide contents

And it just goes on and on...

Now all I wan't to know is who might be paying for this fraud and why?

Or - and here is a crazy idea - someone likes something you don't like and expresses its opinion. *Mindblown*

4 hours ago, Dalinar said:

Or - and here is a crazy idea - someone likes something you don't like and expresses its opinion. *Mindblown*

So calling it a ”great movie” seems legit to you I take it?

I do notice most of these have no reviews other than that, and many are new accounts whose reviews seem to have been the only thing they've done with their account.

I don't fully understand the hows and whys of these sorts of things, but they may not be as straightforward as someone just "buying" reviews.

All that said, one of them (the ivan one) has several reviews over a long period of time  and is a much older account than the others so I suspect that's legit.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I do notice most of these have no reviews other than that, and many are new accounts whose reviews seem to have been the only thing they've done with their account.

I don't fully understand the hows and whys of these sorts of things, but they may not be as straightforward as someone just "buying" reviews.

All that said, one of them (the ivan one) has several reviews over a long period of time  and is a much older account than the others so I suspect that's legit.

Companies/influencers/creatives/politicians buys followers, views and likes all the time. (google "buying followers" and weep for humanity) If you feel like arguing that it might be a clumsy attempt from some small time computerfarm to sell their product, know I will counter by pointing out that if its unwanted trolls tanking the score credability both HBO and imdb would be pretty eager to get rid of it - which hasn't happened.

I would understand if HBO bought them around the great downfall to try to keep their good score and not lose money and face. But its soon to be two years since it ended and there's a new one in the making so I doubt they'd stoop so low now. Especially considering the low quality, it's completely glaring, why would they risk getting caught with their pants down for a dead horse?

It has been said on here that one of the D's have a big hang-up on the shows imdb-score and has been very invested it's reviews on there, so one can't help but wonder. <_<

Also, yeah, the Ivan dude didn't really work for my point, I don't know why he got on my shame-list.

If it's a question of bots... Bots are cheap. Like, dirt cheap. 

However, as a die hard book follower (AWOIAF, PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN AND ALL DUNK AND EGG FAN) I don't see the problems most do until s08 ep 05/6. Even then there are good notes, but this general trend of s6/7 were slaw isn't my bag at all. I thought they were reaching a bit, but it's also like people were just ignoring the negatives of season 2/3.

Those reviews are either poor bots drumming up something or rather with a bad line of code, english isn't first language or just plain don't know how to use a computer people. An opinion is an opinion. I had event watches of the last few episodes and the last one was the only one where I openly questioned wtf did anyone like any of how this turned out.

• 1 month later...

If I had to guess, these were bots created by a show-fan whose first language is not English. Whoever created them probably did it by their own volition rather than being bought out. If it were HBO, I suspect these reviews would be of better quality. Good catch though!

Some people genuinely liked the show's ending, but I think that for a lot of people, the zeitgeist around GOT created a sense of community. The show falling as far out of favor as it did undoubtedly destroyed that (although now there's a community of former hardcore show-fans who instead spend their time obsessing over why they hate GOT now) so I could see how some fans would want to bring that back. With binge-watching taking over television, there just isn't that same pop culture zeal anymore. A show gets extremely popular for about two weeks--a month, if they're lucky--and then everyone moves on to the next one. It's a bit sad, when you think about it.

• 1 month later...

Archived