A potential way of destroying the Vale Mountain Clans

The Mountain Clans have been a thorn in the side of house Arryn and the Vale for a very long time, yet the only thing the Arryns have been doing is sending Knights to patrol the roads and hunt small groups of these clansmen, which has proved ineffective.

I propose something a little bit different: would it be possible for the Lord of the Eyrie to assemble the Leaders of these 10 clans in a single location, perhaps under the pretext of negotiating a treaty and giving them land or smth, and then murder all of them and their retinues.

The survivors could be captured and tortured to reveal the location of the rest of the tribespeople, which would then be slaughtered.

Now I got the inspiration from the medieval ruler Olga of Kyiv, if you’re interested.

I’m hoping to receive any criticism regarding this plan and also any other ideas.

In terms of how exactly the ambush will work: the leaders will be sat in a wooden hall with the Lord of the Vale among them. In order to lower their guard, a feast will be arranged with as much booze as they (leaders and their retinues) can drink. Then, when everyone is drunk, the Lord leaves for a piss or smth and the doors will be locked and the building set aflame.

At this point the drunk clansmen outside will be slaughtered. Hurray! Job done. Your thoughts?

I think it would be too lacking in honor for the valemen to accept it, and the clanmen have no reason to trust in him. The best option the Arryn have is negotiating an actual peace deal, IMHO, use the clanmen to develop some parts of the Vale, build keeps, work fields, etc. The lord should give them lands, keeps and even people. The clanmen attacks would stop quickly, and after a few years he would even start making a profit.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, A communist Westeros said:

The Mountain Clans have been a thorn in the side of house Arryn and the Vale for a very long time, yet the only thing the Arryns have been doing is sending Knights to patrol the roads and hunt small groups of these clansmen, which has proved ineffective.

I propose something a little bit different: would it be possible for the Lord of the Eyrie to assemble the Leaders of these 10 clans in a single location, perhaps under the pretext of negotiating a treaty and giving them land or smth, and then murder all of them and their retinues.

The survivors could be captured and tortured to reveal the location of the rest of the tribespeople, which would then be slaughtered.

Now I got the inspiration from the medieval ruler Olga of Kyiv, if you’re interested.

I’m hoping to receive any criticism regarding this plan and also any other ideas.

In terms of how exactly the ambush will work: the leaders will be sat in a wooden hall with the Lord of the Vale among them. In order to lower their guard, a feast will be arranged with as much booze as they (leaders and their retinues) can drink. Then, when everyone is drunk, the Lord leaves for a piss or smth and the doors will be locked and the building set aflame.

At this point the drunk clansmen outside will be slaughtered. Hurray! Job done. Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

What are the words of House Arryn? As High as Honor...

Yeah, your suggestion is so very honorable. I imagine if Westeros were real and you even made the suggestion in the presence of any lordly Valemen, much less an Arryn, you probably would be executed.

It sounds way too much like Tywin Lannister, Sybelle Westerling, Roose Bolton and Walder Frey. And no one really likes any of them.

@CamiloRP has a much better idea. Integration is key.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, A communist Westeros said:

Genocide? Are you by any chance related to Adolf blah blah Hitler? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stability and peace are not the same thing. If the clans raided on a daily basis for hundreds of years they would have been wiped out or conquered long ago. They likely only occasionally raid and many of the raids are likely only a nuisance to the Vale. If their lands had any value they would have been occupied already by Vale lords. So the stable situation is every now and then the Vale mounts a punitive expedition to put down the clans when they cause too much trouble - minimum long term effort and a periodic chance for the Vale lords to practice their martial skills for real.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, A communist Westeros said:

On 11/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Genocide? Are you by any chance related to Adolf blah blah Hitler? 

Now after re reading this thread and putting your username together I think it makes sense. Communist aren't you. Stalin did it to the peasants. Jus kidding. I'm a fan of ideal communism that doesn't include genocide. 

@Alyn Oakenfisthere could provide a few commie jokes to laugh about. 

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

@Alyn Oakenfisthere could provide a few commie jokes to laugh about. 

Well seeing topic at hand here's an appropriately dark one:

Moizhe was walking one day through Moscow near Lublyanka (the building of the KGB). Suddenly he sees the back door of Lublyanka opening and out comes his old friend Itzhic, beaten to a pulp

- Itzhic is that you?

- I know nothing, I haven't seen anything

- Come on, Itzhic, it's me your old friend Moizhe. Don't you remember we went to school together, our parents were neighbour

- Itzhic, we married at the same time, we where each other's best man, how can you not remember me

- Itzhic, we went to Auschwitz together, don't you remember me?

- Eh, those were the good times

On 11/14/2020 at 2:41 PM, A communist Westeros said:

Ok Lame Lothar Frey.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, A communist Westeros said:

Support one clan over the other , then marry you son to the chieftain's daughter .

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 10:20 AM, CamiloRP said:

The best option the Arryn have is negotiating an actual peace deal, IMHO, use the clanmen to develop some parts of the Vale, build keeps, work fields, etc. The lord should give them lands, keeps and even people. The clanmen attacks would stop quickly, and after a few years he would even start making a profit.

I agree. Makes me think about what Jon did with the wildlings. Even marrying off someone to a clanman is similar to when Alys Karstark married Sigorn of Thenn.

• 1 month later...

Muster an army and kill them all. You can't fight if you're dead. And now the rains weep o'er his hall and not a soul to hear....but it has to be justified. It they were truly trying to wreck the Vale, then you should do it to protect the people of the Vale. But if it's just a few raids, it's uncalled for. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived