US Politics - The Conceit of Not Conceding

Relic

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Dozens arrested in DC after a night of Trump supports rallying and counter protesting. 

Truly heart warming to see Americans coming together...

No one in here seems to want to, so we should not be surprised no one out there does either.

Also, another mathematical takedown of a mathematical takedown.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

No one in here seems to want to, so we should not be surprised no one out there does either.

I think most Americans on this thread would love to see their country come together. What they're not willing to do is accept that the responsibility for that must always lie entirely with one side, and that this must be the imperative no matter what the other side do.

I suggest you come back to this theme when there has been a serious, sincere overture from someone senior on the Republican party and the Democrats are rejecting it. Until then, it should probably be retired.

Did the "Proud Boys" repent of their White Supremacist views? I don't quite see how one "unifies" with that?

While I can't stand Antifa's tactics and rather infantile anarchistic politics, there isn't an equivalence. They stupidly played right into Trump's hands by not staying away, as almost everyone asked all people to do. But they are not Nazis. There is no unity with Nazis or the KKK. The "Proud Boys”are just Brownshirts by another name.

I'm all for Biden's call for unity of the people of our nation. That doesn't mean acceptance of fascists. It also doesn't mean street brawls are the way to do away with danger of authoritarian destruction of our democracy. The danger here is not so much these little gangs of scum who subscribe to White Supremacists views taking over our country - they don't have that power - but from Donald Trump. He is going to want to use this confrontation for his own ends. Which is why he told the "Proud Boys" to "stand by, and stand down." 

The way to protect ourselves from fascists like this starts through getting Donald Trump out of the White House. That is happening with every vote that is counted. We can't feed into his lies about this election, or about the phony tales told about Antifa, or much more important movements like Black Lives Matter. 

35 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

I'm all for Biden's call for unity of the people of our nation. That doesn't mean acceptance of fascists. It also doesn't mean street brawls are the way to do away with danger of authoritarian destruction of our democracy. The danger here is not so much these little gangs of scum who subscribe to White Supremacists views taking over our country - they don't have that power - but from Donald Trump. He is going to want to use this confrontation for his own ends. Which is why he told the "Proud Boys" to "stand by, and stand down." 

Beating them at the booth and deplatforming them is effective, but they won't simply evaporate. Not with QAnon fans in the Senate and over 70 million people who voted for Trump after everything that happened since 2016. Failing to recognize and curb the development of parallel, incompatible mainstreams will be extremely dangerous in the next decade.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Not to chide you for your pick of songs, however this seems more on point with the current theme. I've been looking for a while to sneak that one into one of the US politics threads. Yes, more of a football theme, and me missing going to the games inside a full stadium. But still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7y7YjsBqnc

31 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not to chide you for your pick of songs, however this seems more on point with the current theme. I've been looking for a while to sneak that one into one of the US politics threads. Yes, more of a football theme, and me missing going to the games inside a full stadium. But still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7y7YjsBqnc

That's soccer! 

27 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

We really should have some more pity for the Proud Boys. They lost their Big Daddy. And not only that, they quite possibly played a big part in taking him down, with the remarks at the debate. Imagine all the trauma and therapy.

Psh, more than 73 million people voted for a proud bigot. America needs to look in the mirror, and since we're riffing with music videos:

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Psh, more than 73 million people voted for a proud bigot. America needs to look in the mirror, and since we're riffing with music videos:

Ronald Reagan was a  bigot and won a crushing landslide over the Democrats. Same as it ever was. What is different is Trump just tried to become an American Putin, and apparently failed at it.

These people as at the magamagamarchin'todisaster yesterday, don't even fly the US flag any longer, after appropriating it to themselves for so many decades.  Nazi flags, CSA flags, Blue Line flags, tRump flags -- but not the flag of the USA.  They, like the groups in Borough Park, Brooklyn, no longer see themselves as a part of this country, but laws unto themselves.  How does one come together with that? Other, than giving in, and bowing down, and letting them have their way to murder, rape, pillage, plunder anyone they feel like with impunity?

22 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Ronald Reagan was a  bigot and won a crushing landslide over the Democrats. Same as it ever was. What is different is Trump just tried to become an American Putin, and apparently failed at it.

I would just say go back and watch Do The Right Thing and tell me what has changed besides the styles and technology? 

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Imagine all the trauma and therapy.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would just say go back and watch Do The Right Thing and tell me what has changed besides the styles and technology? 

Nobody fucks up Giancarlo Esposito's Jordans anymore.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

I think most Americans on this thread would love to see their country come together. What they're not willing to do is accept that the responsibility for that must always lie entirely with one side, and that this must be the imperative no matter what the other side do.

I suggest you come back to this theme when there has been a serious, sincere overture from someone senior on the Republican party and the Democrats are rejecting it. Until then, it should probably be retired.

If only there was a way to like this post a thousand times! Nail on the head and all that.

Archived