The Big Four of Necromancy

Alyn Oakenfist

So I really like to decipher the various inspirations behind ASOIAF, and see what can be deduced from there. With that said, today's is a weird inspiration. The Big Four, one of Agatha Christie's most popular books. The titular big four seem to each be a parallel to one of the players in ASOIAF to dabble in necromancy and in general do fucked up shit with the dead. We have:

- Number 4, the destroyer. An actor turned assassin that by great sacrifices (losing his teeth and a great deal many other features) is able to take on any role and put on almost any face, to the point that our protagonists meet with him several times but never recognize him. Hmm, an assassin with face changing abilities. I wonder if that rings a bell. So that's the first of the players in the game that do freeky shit with the dead.

- Number 3 is a mad scientist that under a benign, courteous and kind exterior, hides a mad mind that dabbles in the more dangerous sides of science. A hidden Mad scientist if you will. I wonder if this sounds similar to a certain chainless master that goes into full blown necromancy. But now let's address the elephant in the room, the Great Other.

- Number 1 is a chinese man, the hidden figure of the mysterious organization known as the Big Four. We never see him in the story except his minions. It's important to note that from the legends we know, the man that brought about the Long Night was the Bloodstone emperor, who probably came from YiTi, aka ASOIAF China, and who is very likely connected to the Great Other. So Number 1 is a parallel tot he Great Other

However this leaves out one missing piece, Number 2, the American, the incredibly rich backer of the conspiracy and the mad science, who hails from America.

I wonder is there anyone we know, some very rich house, preferably in the far West who is a big backer of everything science related, and who we know dabbles in the occult and there are whispering of necromancy?

Ah yes, the Hightowers. So given all this, what do you think, are the Hightowers going to play a big necromancy related part in the story?

7 hours ago, Eliscat said:

Always wondered where his mystery influences came from. Been a long time since I read an AC book. Looks like a revisit is in order

To be fair, there isn't much connecting the actual story with ASOIAF, except the character structure and the fact that the theme of "coming back from the dead" pops up quite a lot of time

Archived