Football: Still in December

Corvinus85

Norway is sending an emergency, scrambled-together-on-a-day's-notice team of second string replacements to play Austria away on Wednesday, after all but one player of the first team was placed in quarantine because you-know-what. In the pot - promotion to Nation's League group A, and a WC qualifier match down the line. But we have to win by >1 goals.

Tywin et al., do you have any of that American "plucky underdog wins it in overtime"-attitude to spare? Only I'm fresh out.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:03 AM, lacuna said:

Norway is sending an emergency, scrambled-together-on-a-day's-notice team of second string replacements to play Austria away on Wednesday, after all but one player of the first team was placed in quarantine because you-know-what. In the pot - promotion to Nation's League group A, and a WC qualifier match down the line. But we have to win by >1 goals.

Tywin et al., do you have any of that American "plucky underdog wins it in overtime"-attitude to spare? Only I'm fresh out.

You still have to play Romania again, which was cancelled.

40 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

You still have to play Romania again, which was cancelled.

From what I can tell, that game is forfeited, and we "lost" 3-0. Hell, might have been the outcome anyway TBF.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

At first glance DYI kits seem corny, but on the other hands, there are two big plusses for this scenario.

1. You are correct in saying that a lot of sportswear is manufactured in ethically questionable situations.  If the club can make the kit in the local area with local folks doing the work, there is hope that they will do a good job, enjoy the work, and everybody wins.  If things fall the right way, this could end up being a strong win for the club, and I hope that it does.

2. Under Armor's design aesthetic seems to be either "intentionally ugly" or "aggressively dissonant", and sometimes it is both.  I coach at a local school who signed a deal with UA to supply all kit for all sports for all seasons three years ago, and at the beginning of every year it is like opening the world's worst Christmas present.  Honestly, as a coaches the outfits we got made us look either color blind or stupid or both, and the players' uniforms add poor fit and low quality to the garish looks.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

2. Under Armor's design aesthetic seems to be either "intentionally ugly" or "aggressively dissonant", and sometimes it is both.  I coach at a local school who signed a deal with UA to supply all kit for all sports for all seasons three years ago, and at the beginning of every year it is like opening the world's worst Christmas present.  Honestly, as a coaches the outfits we got made us look either color blind or stupid or both, and the players' uniforms add poor fit and low quality to the garish looks.

UA was a bad fit for our club/rejected by our fan scene for other reasons than their designs. That's down to Under Amour's ties to/supply for the (US) military. Try to square that bit of business with a club, whose identity is pacifist and left leaning. The UA CEO then sounding off some nonsense in support of the Orange POTUS and you can see, why the current sponsorship deal couldn't run out fast enough. Design is the least of the issues, really. Last Kit design I really liked was during the DYF days.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

UA was a bad fit for our club/rejected by our fan scene for other reasons than their designs. That's down to Under Amour's ties to/supply for the (US) military. Try to square that bit of business with a club, whose identity is pacifist and left leaning. The UA CEO then sounding off some nonsense in support of the Orange POTUS and you can see, why the current sponsorship deal couldn't run out fast enough. Design is the least of the issues, really. Last Kit design I really liked was during the DYF days.

All true.

Still doesn't make UA kit any more attractive than a shaved donkey.

So all kinds of players have covid after the international break, so deeply stupid to release players for national team games but I appreciate that the leagues had no choice per their agreements.

National FA are really similar to college football here in the US - all the reward, none of the risk.

13 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

So all kinds of players have covid after the international break, so deeply stupid to release players for national team games but I appreciate that the leagues had no choice per their agreements.

National FA are really similar to college football here in the US - all the reward, none of the risk.

But some clubs did, or so it seems.  I read somewhere that Leicester didn’t release Schmeichel to play for Denmark because he would have faced a quarantine period to return.  And then Denmark seemed to just give up on any expectation of overseas players traveling for them.  And yet there was no backlash.  Probably because the Danish FA is more reasonable than most. 

I've almost completely stopped watching national teams so I might be wrong when I say that Denmark probably didn't have any really important matches in this window and that was a major factor for them when deciding to, as you put it, give up on any expectation of overseas players traveling for those matches.

Not that I think anyone should be playing but Denmark's situation is a little different, since the UK at least and I understand some countries have instituded a mandatory two-week period, regardless of if you were exposed to Covid or not, that even top sportsmen aren't exempt from (as was the case for all other nations till now) due to the mink thing.

Where is Thiago Alcantara? did we really sign him or was it just a dream? :P

Seriously, no news on him anywhere.

ETA:

Rhys Williams left out by England U21s as precaution over hip issue :(

ETA 2:

Liverpool’s academy has been hit by a COVID outbreak. Coaches and staff are self-isolating after testing positive for the virus. Around 10 members of staff are effected, none are thought to be seriously unwell.

David Coote is no longer listed as a "VAR referee" on Premier League's official website
Andre Marriner has taken his place

Archived