Football: Still in December

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. pretty selfish on Rashford's part there denying Bruno his opportunity for a hattrick.

Pretty sure Bruno gave it to him. He's been pretty consistent since he arrived in claiming that while he enjoys scoring goals, getting the strikers to score and keep confident is his main priority.

Anyway, Haaland continues to be insanely good.

Fifa announced the shortlist for their awards this year:

The Best FIFA Men’s Player:

• Thiago Alcântara (Spain / FC Bayern München / Liverpool FC)
  • Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC)
  • Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City FC)
  • Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
  • Sadio Mané (Senegal / Liverpool FC)
  • Kylian Mbappé (France / Paris Saint-Germain)
  • Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona)
  • Neymar (Brazil / Paris Saint-Germain)
  • Sergio Ramos (Spain / Real Madrid CF)
  • Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool FC )
  • Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands / Liverpool FC)

The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper:

• Alisson Becker (Brazil / Liverpool FC)
  • Thibaut Courtois (Belgium / Real Madrid CF)
  • Keylor Navas (Costa Rica / Paris Saint-Germain)
  • Manuel Neuer (Germany / FC Bayern München)
  • Jan Oblak (Slovenia / Atlético de Madrid)
  • Marc-André ter Stegen (Germany / FC Barcelona)

The Best FIFA Men’s Coach:

• Marcelo Bielsa (Argentina / Leeds United FC)
  • Hans-Dieter Flick (Germany / FC Bayern München)
  • Jürgen Klopp (Germany / Liverpool FC)
  • Julen Lopetegui (Spain / Sevilla FC)
  • Zinedine Zidane (France / Real Madrid CF)

The Best FIFA Women’s Player:

• Lucy Bronze (England / Olympique Lyonnais / Manchester City WFC)
  • Delphine Cascarino (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
  • Caroline Graham Hansen (Norway / FC Barcelona)
  • Pernille Harder (Denmark / VfL Wolfsburg / Chelsea FC Women)
  • Jennifer Hermoso (Spain / FC Barcelona)
  • Ji So-yun (Korea Republic / Chelsea FC Women)
  • Sam Kerr (Australia / Chelsea FC Women)
  • Saki Kumagai (Japan / Olympique Lyonnais)
  • Dzsenifer Marozsán (Germany / Olympique Lyonnais)
  • Vivianne Miedema (Netherlands / Arsenal WFC)
  • Wendie Renard (France / Olympique Lyonnais)

The Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper:

• Ann-Katrin Berger (Germany / Chelsea FC Women)
  • Sarah Bouhaddi (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
  • Christiane Endler (Chile / Paris Saint-Germain)
  • Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden / VfL Wolfsburg / Atlético de Madrid Femenino)
  • Alyssa Naeher (USA / Chicago Red Stars)
  • Ellie Roebuck (England / Manchester City WFC)

The Best FIFA Women’s Coach:

• Lluís Cortés (Spain / FC Barcelona)
  • Rita Guarino (Italy / Juventus Women)
  • Emma Hayes (England / Chelsea FC Women)
  • Stephan Lerch (Germany / VfL Wolfsburg)
  • Hege Riise (Norway / LSK Kvinner)
  • Jean-Luc Vasseur (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
  • Sarina Wiegman (Netherlands / Dutch national team)

They also announced the shortlist for the Puskas award. Surely I'm biased as a Flamengo fan, but I find this beauty by Giorgian de Arrascaeta very hard to beat.

I am going out on a limb here and predict a few winners.

Lewandowski

Neuer

Flick

Pretty straight forward, but I think Bayern will sweep the awards there. How did Bielsa end up on the short list? Winning promotion into a top flight should really not be enough.

Women section will probably be more or a less sweep by OL. I admit I don't follow Womens' football closely enough to say, who of them will win it.

Yeah, Bielsa should not be on the shortlist. Rodgers produced an excellent season for Leicester (the implosion at the end probably worked against him). Nagelsmann had an excellent season with Leipzig and Gasperini with Atalanta. Both exceeded expectations in the CL. Tuchel led PSG to the club's first CL final. All those should be ahead of Bielsa. Agree with the rest. Bayern will sweep the awards. Lewandowski deserves to win best player.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

He never looked like he had long left, what a fucking genius he was though. 

Given how he lived I'm surprised he made it to 60. I highly recommend HBO's documentary on him from last year.

Poor performance by Liverpool but that was an intentional trade-off with a strong lead in the CL group and the players badly needing some rest.  I can see the logic of playing Origi with potential to run behind those defenders but he shows less and less each time he plays.  Everton and Barca fans must scratch their heads watching him play.  Neco Williams hasn’t done well either in his recent appearances, despite playing well for Wales. 

It’s not fun to lose a match, especially at home, but this one felt like a free hit after we thrashed them in Italy.  I hope the rest helps the players. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Given how he lived I'm surprised he made it to 60. I highly recommend HBO's documentary on him from last year.

Still sad. I mean, you also knew Alex Trebek wouldn't have long, when he said he had pancreatic cancer (or when RBG died this year). You knew those people were relatively safe bets not to be around for much longer (arguably more so than Diego).

Since you are relatively new to the football game, in terms of greatness and importance, Maradonna was arguably the footballing equivalent to Mohammed Ali. Three days of national mourning in Argentina, the mayor of Naples wants a day of mourning for the city. With all the off-field drama towards the end of his career and after that, he still was Diego (or maybe that's what made him Diego would be a better way of putting it). GOAT. He never really changed/hid who he was. The little kid from the slums of Buenos Aires.  That's kinda the difference between him an Pele, who always feels a bit too fake, like a family friendly product, with no real edges.

We've not qualified yet. All it takes is another poor performance next week against Ajax - which could well happen - and it'll be touch and go.

Neco Williams is very, very average, and looking at him in the context of the output of our academy in general in the last decade, probably won't make it as a dependable backup.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

We've not qualified yet. All it takes is another poor performance next week against Ajax - which could well happen - and it'll be touch and go.

Neco Williams is very, very average, and looking at him in the context of the output of our academy in general in the last decade, probably won't make it as a dependable backup.

Not really. You'd still beat Midtylland and advance with 12 points.

It's possible that either Bergamo or Ajax would finish with 13 point above you, but it's mathematically impossible for both to finish the group ahead of Liverpool (assuming Liverpool beats Midtjylland, which should be doable with all due respect to the Danes).

Archived