Football: Still in December

Corvinus85

Stuttgart have given Dortmund a hiding. Even 5-1 was flattering to Dortmund. Could have easily been seven. 

There's also reports out of Portugal that Jota is going to be out for around 2 months. Not the most reliable source though so best to wait for Joyce or Pearce. 

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

A big problem they have is Grealish is all too often only interested in running into cul-de-sacs and shooting into the legs of defenders. If someone explained the concept of passing to him, Villa would be a lot more effective.

He's been one of the best players in the league, has five assists and five goals, and a better key-pass rate than anyone apart from Bruno and KDB, so I agree, he's definitely holding them back.

46 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

There's also reports out of Portugal that Jota is going to be out for around 2 months. Not the most reliable source though so best to wait for Joyce or Pearce. 

There's been chat placing him out for anything between till next week and all season with anthing from a minor knock to a fractured tibia or ruptured ligament, so probably just best to wait for official word.

Pogba back in for us, in a diamond again.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's been one of the best players in the league, has five assists and five goals, and a better key-pass rate than anyone apart from Bruno and KDB, so I agree, he's definitely holding them back.

He was shit today and Villa got lucky. Perhaps he passes to Barkley when he's playing, but he certainly doesn't seem to be interested in passing to anyone else.

How many of his assists are from set pieces?

I'm a little worried, how are we meant to mount a comeback if we're not behind at half-time?

49 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

How many of his assists are from set pieces?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he isn't their main set-piece taker.

He wasn't good today, but the implication that he's not their best player is just a bit bizarre.

I've been thinking for a while that Atleti may very much enjoy the appointment of a more "attacking" manager. Simeone does offer stability, has a quite good record and sometimes delivers a trophy (they're currently league leader, so...), but I really wonder how a post-Mourinho-type effect could work out on this Atleti side.

3 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

I've been thinking for a while that Atleti may very much enjoy the appointment of a more "attacking" manager. Simeone does offer stability, has a quite good record and sometimes delivers a trophy (they're currently league leader, so...), but I really wonder how a post-Mourinho-type effect could work out on this Atleti side.

Not sure I understand. Hasn’t Simeone moved away from his traditional defensive 442 and evolved his side into a more attacking outfit? And aren’t they still top of the league?

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not sure I understand. Hasn’t Simeone moved away from his traditional defensive 442 and evolved his side into a more attacking outfit? And aren’t they still top of the league?

He has. He still uses his 4-4-2 from time to time but has used three at the back more often this season. He's been trying since last season to play more on the front foot with mixed success last season but Atleti do look a better/more fluid attacking outfit this season. 

13 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Has Richarlison got his boots on the wrong feet or something?

Seems he has. But he's always been a bit hot and cold wrt goals, so ... here's hoping he finds his shooting boots when DCL at some point stops being dangerous. It will happen.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that Dortmund have sacked Favre. It was a long time coming. That Dortmund squad is quality and Favre has been shitting the bed for too long.

Actually, it is kinda surprising. Word on the street was, that they'd see out the season with him, as there are currently no suitable alternatives on the market. And corona having eaten quite a hole into Dortmund's budget.

As for the alternatives. They don't really want to sign Rangnick for instance, as they don't want to put up with another strong headcoach manager after their experience with Tuchel. So the plan was, not to extend Favre's contract (which was running out at the end of the season) and sign Rose from Gladbach for the next season. Or at least that's what most journalists predicted.

The quality of the squad. I wouldn't say the squad is quality, I'd say the squad is loaded with talent. Which is not quite the same. It has the potential to turn into quality in a few years with a bit more exprience, but by then the biggest talents (Sancho and Haaland) would be gone. Dortmunds starting XI against Stuttgart had 7 players aged 20 or younger I think, which should be a bit too much.

Edit: Changed the tempus as the Kicker is reporting it, too now.

Yeah, but that squad overall lacks a bit of experience/maturity. E.g. Bellingham. he had an absolute mare of a game against Stuttgart, with gifting the ball away with just plain bad passing, and then also just jogging next to the opposing players instead of applying pressure or comitting a foul. That kinda stuff is simply naive. Dortmund are usually good going forward, but their defending is suspect. Or as Reuss put it: We simply cannot defend.

Add to that, that all the CL teams look knackered atm. Bayern could or rather should have lost yesterday against Union, if Awoniyi hadn't gotten scared at the sight of Neuer. He really should have finished the game with two goals. Anyway, point is, Dortmund lacks the power going forward decisively atm, that paired with their sub-standard defending is simply a bad combination.

As for Favre, I think it's worth noting, that his record is actually as good as Tuchel's and better than Klopp's. (2.09 PPG for Tuchel and Favre vs. 1.92 for Klopp). Altho, Klopp's record is admittedly marred through the first half of his final season. Just to put his awfulness a bit into perspective.

Yes they do lack a bit of experience and it is a young side however it is fair to describe the second best squad in German football as a quality squad. Favre has underperformed with the talent at his disposal as far as I'm concerned. Favre started off well - 18/19 was a good season overall and Dortmund played some lovely football but the team has been slowly regressing ever since. 

Archived