The fate of these second tier houses

Canon Claude

We all know that a bunch of noble houses are going to be wiped out before the end of the story, but which ones?

Most of the conversation around this topic seems focused around the great houses like Stark, Baratheon, and whatnot. But I want to focus on some of those houses who have a significant impact on the story, even if they aren’t the focus. So based on what we know and what we can guess, which of these houses do you think will survive and which will die out?

Hightower

Royce

Manderly

Dayne

Harlaw

Connington

Piper

Marbrand

Hightower: given the number of kids that Lord Layton has, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another two dozen cousins who can take over from the main branch in the worst-case scenario.

Royce: Yohn’s kids have been dropping like flies, but I think his line will continue, either through his last surviving son or his daughter.

Dayne: Definitely meant to survive

Harlaw: They’re done for. Euron will take things too far and bring the Ironborn down.

Connington: Marked for extinction, unless one of Red Ronnet’s kids survive

Piper: If Marq survives the Red Wedding, he’ll survive anything

Marbrand: we don’t know enough about this family, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Addam dies.

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

We all know that a bunch of noble houses are going to be wiped out before the end of the story, but which ones?

Most of the conversation around this topic seems focused around the great houses like Stark, Baratheon, and whatnot. But I want to focus on some of those houses who have a significant impact on the story, even if they aren’t the focus. So based on what we know and what we can guess, which of these houses do you think will survive and which will die out?

Hightower - too many to perish but they will be diminished like the rest.

Royce - will not survive Littlefinger's scheming.

Manderly - I don't like them but our author loves the grays.  The fat man may live long.

Dayne - They won't stay second tier too long.  They have Dawn and only they can use her.

Harlaw - Victory over Euron and his men will be theirs.

Connington - greyscale will get them.

Piper

Marbrand

Hightower - Logically, they should wipe the floor with the Greyjoys. Between their forces and the Redwyne fleet, Euron should have no chance, which means something is going to happen which destroys them and makes Euron the victor. The Faith itself will survive, though, so I think the Hightowers will live, but lose most of their members. 

Royce - I like them, but Yohn's done for. Littlefinger has proven what a danger he is to everyone else, and Yohn's his bitterest opponent in the Vale. The main branch of Royce will die and the Moon Gate Royces will inherit Runestone, probably through Myranda "Black Widow" Royce

Manderly - They're in the best position of any house in the North. They're going to be the new second house in the North following the downfall of House Bolton. 

Dayne - They're going to play a crucial role, they'll survive (Gerold Dayne will hopefully die though)

Harlaw - They're going down, but they'll take Euron down with them

Connington - They better die out before this is over, they've been stirring up way too much shit for my liking

Piper - Too insignificant either way, so it's a coin toss.

Marbrand - Who cares? Addam's probably a dead man, though, he's too good for a Westerman.

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Hightower - Logically, they should wipe the floor with the Greyjoys. Between their forces and the Redwyne fleet, Euron should have no chance, which means something is going to happen which destroys them and makes Euron the victor. The Faith itself will survive, though, so I think the Hightowers will live, but lose most of their members. 

Royce - I like them, but Yohn's done for. Littlefinger has proven what a danger he is to everyone else, and Yohn's his bitterest opponent in the Vale. The main branch of Royce will die and the Moon Gate Royces will inherit Runestone, probably through Myranda "Black Widow" Royce

Manderly - They're in the best position of any house in the North. They're going to be the new second house in the North following the downfall of House Bolton. 

Dayne - They're going to play a crucial role, they'll survive (Gerold Dayne will hopefully die though)

Harlaw - They're going down, but they'll take Euron down with them

Connington - They better die out before this is over, they've been stirring up way too much shit for my liking

Piper - Too insignificant either way, so it's a coin toss.

Marbrand - Who cares? Addam's probably a dead man, though, he's too good for a Westerman.

I agree with most but come on, it's obvious Euron isn't going to engage either of these. Never his plan, he was just drawing them back so he can get to KL

1 hour ago, Leonardo said:

I agree with most but come on, it's obvious Euron isn't going to engage either of these. Never his plan, he was just drawing them back so he can get to KL

Are we allowed to discuss TWOW leaked chapters? Because I've read one of them, and it really doesn't seem like that's Euron's plan.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Are we allowed to discuss TWOW leaked chapters? Because I've read one of them, and it really doesn't seem like that's Euron's plan.

Who else has money on massive kraken attack?

23 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Hightower

Royce

Manderly

Dayne

Harlaw

Connington

Piper

Marbrand

Hightower is entrenched all over the place.  It would require attacks by Dany's war machine, the Others and Euron to wipe that huge family out.  Lord Leyton has what 12 kids most married with kids of their own.  The Royce bunch seem tied by their 1st Men roots to the pact of the 1st Men with the COTF.   I get the sense this house is somehow important in the fight against the Others, perhaps in seating the next wave of "kings" and "queens".  The Manderlys are wealthy, but not numerous.  However, Martin has no problem seating a little girl at the top of the food chain.   I think the Manderlys survive.  House Dayne, like the Hightowers are ancient in Westeros and likely tied to the Others and all that drama.  We only know of 3 living Daynes and  due to their location, I don't think they can survive Euron, Dany and The Others.  House Harlaw seem to have the only brains on the Iron Islands and seem to really understand Asha's political motives.  They survive or the whole Ironborn culture sinks into the sea.  House Connington is unimportant and it makes no difference anywhere whether they live or die.   Red Ronnet is an ass.   They can go extinct and no one will notice.  House Piper has too many involvements in underground movements.   They are survivors.  House Marbrand?  I got nothing for them.  

It's an unusual list and I would be interested in your own ideas for these house survivals and why you chose them @Canon Claude.

3 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Hightower is entrenched all over the place.  It would require attacks by Dany's war machine, the Others and Euron to wipe that huge family out.  Lord Leyton has what 12 kids most married with kids of their own.  The Royce bunch seem tied by their 1st Men roots to the pact of the 1st Men with the COTF.   I get the sense this house is somehow important in the fight against the Others, perhaps in seating the next wave of "kings" and "queens".  The Manderlys are wealthy, but not numerous.  However, Martin has no problem seating a little girl at the top of the food chain.   I think the Manderlys survive.  House Dayne, like the Hightowers are ancient in Westeros and likely tied to the Others and all that drama.  We only know of 3 living Daynes and  due to their location, I don't think they can survive Euron, Dany and The Others.  House Harlaw seem to have the only brains on the Iron Islands and seem to really understand Asha's political motives.  They survive or the whole Ironborn culture sinks into the sea.  House Connington is unimportant and it makes no difference anywhere whether they live or die.   Red Ronnet is an ass.   They can go extinct and no one will notice.  House Piper has too many involvements in underground movements.   They are survivors.  House Marbrand?  I got nothing for them.  

It's an unusual list and I would be interested in your own ideas for these house survivals and why you chose them @Canon Claude.

I picked a house from each of the main regions that seemed like they were in the second tier (regarding strength, importance to the plot, etc). They all have characters who are playing significant roles in the story, and they’re not always talked about in this forum, or at least not as thoroughly as characters from the great houses.

Archived