Disney breaks contract with STAR WARS and ALIENS writer Alan Dean Foster

Werthead

Remember that I used to want to read the old Star Wars EU books? Before I learned of this shit I ordered two more Vong invasion books and am regretting it ever since. I will not buy anything else until Disney bends over and pays these authors, god damn it, and I dearly hope many others think like this!

54 minutes ago, Toth said:

Remember that I used to want to read the old Star Wars EU books? Before I learned of this shit I ordered two more Vong invasion books and am regretting it ever since. I will not buy anything else until Disney bends over and pays these authors, god damn it, and I dearly hope many others think like this!

Don't regret it. Matt Stover's 'Traitor' is fucking glorious and should not be missed out on.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Don't regret it. Matt Stover's 'Traitor' is fucking glorious and should not be missed out on.

Even if the guy doesn't get a penny for it because the Mouse Empire feels confident enough to do this shit?

23 minutes ago, Toth said:

Even if the guy doesn't get a penny for it because the Mouse Empire feels confident enough to do this shit?

don't regret your past purchases.  But going forward now you have knowledge you can refrain from buying new.    

If it goes on, try second hand or order from the library.  and if you really feel like it donate a little something to the author if that's an option.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Too many people named Adam nowadays.  I graduated from High School with 800 people in 1989.  Two of us were named Adam.  Now... it’s everywhere.

:)

There was a time when 50% of the population was named Adam, so you're still a long way off from that high point :P

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I once spoke to someone with the same first and surname as me. 

I have a couple of those as FaceBook friends.

There was a time on Google when the first search result for my first/last name was a guy executed on Illinois death row in the early 2000’s, the second guy was a priest in Iowa, and the third was a lawyer in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  It’s like a joke that writes itself.

Ironically, my brother found himself stuck in complete standstill traffic on I65 north of Bowling Green several years ago.  People got out and started talking to their fellow motorists.  He talked for a half hour with two people near him.  As they were getting back in their cars they finally exchanged names and it was the lawyer.  He laughed and said “That’s my brother’s name.”

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Too many people named Adam nowadays.  I graduated from High School with 800 people in 1989.  Two of us were named Adam.  Now... it’s everywhere.

:)

That's good. It means your parents were ahead of fashion and everyone will assume you are younger than you are. :)

On 11/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, Werthead said:

In a bizarre move, Disney has unilaterally suspended royalty payments to author Alan Dean Foster for his early Star Wars novels and Alien film novelisations. The SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America), the closest thing US SFF authors have to a union, has taken up the case.

Disney's argument is extraordinary: they claim that when they inherited the contractual rights to Foster's previous work (from Lucasfilm in 2012 and Fox in 2019), they inherited the "rights of the contract but not the obligations of the contract." Or in other words, they can continue to sell Foster's Star Wars and Alien books but not pay him royalties for those works. Rather obviously, Foster and the SFWA disagree rather forcefully, and are prepared to take the matter further until they agree to honour the in-place contracts.

Other Star Wars writers have been contacted and they are now querying their own royalty payments to see if anything is amiss. It sounds like the estate of A.C. Crispin is already concerned that they have not received royalty payments either.

In a way im grateful that Disney fucked SW up so badly. I hated supporting them (by buying SW tickets) ever since they gave Rupert Murdoch 71 billion dollars.  Fuck Disney and all that they do. 

14 hours ago, Gigei said:

OMG this is outrageous! The mouse must be trying to wear down an old and very sick man with their bs. It's not like Disney doesn't have the spare money to pay the royalties.

They're trying to set a precedent, I think. If you multiply the royalties owed to one author by the number of authors and creators under the Disney umbrella, you get really big bucks.

Speaking of ... in the event that they do manage to set precedent, how far could they draw it? For instance, could they negotiate a contract with some person or studio, then as soon as the goods were delivered, so to speak, sell the contract to a shell company and argue that they no longer have any liabilities? Could they hire workers through shell companies, transfer the contracts at an opportune moment, then refuse to pay them for their work, under the justification that the company that signed the labour contract is now defunct?

I mean, any company's dream situation is receiving labour without owing any compensation whatsoever. Disney would love to keep the intellectual property created by all its wonderful and talented contractors, while the contractors themselves should preferably make do with the gratitude of being allowed to work for Disney. They've screwed over legends such as Carl Barks and Don Rosa before, whose work they continue to profit greatly off of to this day. At some point, the government should step in and do something. Resetting the expiry date of copyright to the death of the author + ten years would be a great start.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:44 PM, Ormond said:

You were born while Adam was on its upswing. In 1971 0.322% of boys born in the USA were named Adam. At its peak year of 1984, 1.2755% were named Adam. 

Of course now it's on the downswing and in 2019 only 0.2184% were named Adam. 

Ormond, 

Thank you.  That patterns after my experience.  It was the early to mid 90’s when I noticed Mom’s shouting my name much more frequently.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

This analysis is interesting, noting that Michael Stackpole has also been stiffed over his comics royalties (but his novel royalties are still fine) as part of the same issue.

Disney is currently arguing that Foster's contract was with Warners (for the Aliens books) and Bantam (for Star Wars) and should have been sorted out between Foster and the publishers when Lucasfilm transferred the publication to another body. Lawyers seem to feel this argument may actually have legal merit (even if Disney's morality remains dubious).

On 11/28/2020 at 12:11 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ormond, 

Thank you.  That patterns after my experience.  It was the early to mid 90’s when I noticed Mom’s shouting my name much more frequently.  :)

Makes sense.  That was pretty much the Golden Age of MILFs.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Good news!

"The irritating imbroglio with Disney, which you may have read about, is moving towards a mutually agreeable conclusion. A formal statement will be forthcoming."

Brilliant if true!

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Good news!

"The irritating imbroglio with Disney, which you may have read about, is moving towards a mutually agreeable conclusion. A formal statement will be forthcoming."

I have signed so many of these as a union exec. Non disclosure agreements are a large part of these. I hope Disney paid through the nose on this. 

Archived