Can you help Bowen Marsh clean up Jon's mess?

6 minutes ago, Allardyce said:

Help is needed and very soon.  He's out numbered by the free folk.  Here's to hoping Thorne comes back in time to save the day.  They will have to repair the social and political rift with the Boltons.  

Thorne was sent out on a suicide errand.  It will be a miracle if he comes back. 

Just now, Universal Sword Donor said:

Surrender myself to the queen's men and hope the wildlings and wun wun don't murder the every loving fuck out of my body and soul.

I frown on your facetious answer.  :angry2:

JK.  Express your opinion as you wish.  :) 

You can argue that Jon dragged the Watch into the politics of the Seven Kingdoms all you want, but that was already a foregone conclusion the second Stannis showed up. The Night's Watch became a secondary power at the Wall then. Up until he charged off to save Arya it seemed Jon was trying to use the wildlings as a balance to Stannis' influence. A controversial decision and one that may not pan out, but one with thought behind it. Honestly though I don't think there are any answers that can save the Night's Watch. Plunging daggers into Jon is only going to provoke the ire of Stannis and the wildlings.

He also created opportunity. The blame/figure head is gone so work with the wildlings to your favor

Or just die because Bowen has no plan other than 'teh watch ermahgred'

Jon is effectively Ned's heir, so what a fuckin idiot play this was as it was a play for Lannister favor when they're all but spent and havent given a shit anyways.

Jon made too big of a disaster but at least Marsh took the first step in getting things sorted when he ended Jon's tenure.  Marsh is too honorable a man for what I am about to suggest but here it is.  Kill the giant and blame him for killing Jon Snow.  His guys may have to embellish the physical damage to the corpse to make it believable.  

The service is about discipline and obedience, like in case of RW military orders (or even more, RW military orders consisted of fanatical volunteers, not criminals). NW is not goddamn debating society nor a corpo where you negotiate and persuade. What Marsh did was the biggest crime possible.  I am not going to preach about NW's mission and its real situation (Boltons, Lannisters, Stannis, the Free Folk and last but not least - THE OTHERS) and why Snow did what had to be done - it is all in the books, so to read them should be enough. Unless OP is just trolling.

Best Marsh could do would be to hang himself but I assume he is dead already.

It depends on what you are asking for, many people seem to take it as getting rid of the Freefolk, and BM would agree, but it's a stupid proposal, as the Freefolk are right know the Watch's biggest ally in the fight against the Others. Letting them cross was not a mistake, getting them in the Wall, was not a mistake, he even took hostages, in this situation he did the best anyone possibly could.

There are two possible mistakes of Jon, one was announcing he was riding south, which got him killed (tho I would argue that the murder plot was planned long before the conspirators knew that) and allying himself with Stannis, which was somewhat impossible to prevent as Stannis had more and better trained men, and he was actually helping, unlike all the other kings. But now Stannis has lost (or at least the Watch thinks so), they must distance themselves from him, trying to capture Selyse, Shireen and Stannis's men and ransoming them to the Iron Throne seems like a sensible idea.

Ramsay needed to go, the free folk needed to be integrated, and the North needed a strong support in Winterfell for the coming war, but Jon didnt really plan it out well. He didnt attack Ramsay for mature reasons, he did it for hot headed, school yard reasons. Marsh was short sighted but from his perspective, Jon IS an immature hot head and there is some truth to that. Still doesnt justify as assasination though. Jon wasnt a mass murderer. 

3 hours ago, Lady Topspin said:

Jon made too big of a disaster but at least Marsh took the first step in getting things sorted when he ended Jon's tenure.  Marsh is too honorable a man for what I am about to suggest but here it is.  Kill the giant and blame him for killing Jon Snow.  His guys may have to embellish the physical damage to the corpse to make it believable.  

:uhoh:

15 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Put yourself in BM's shoes.  Jon created immeasurable damage at the wall.  How would you clean up Jon's mess? 

I would let the Wildlings leave.  It's a long way to Winterfell and something very bad could happen to them on the way.  I have time to send a raven to the Boltons and warn them.  The warning should be enough to convince the Boltons of our neutrality and the blame for the debacle at the watch will be on the late lord commander.  

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

Bowen Marsh is a crannogman?  I suppose it's in the name.

It is "semi canon source" :wacko:  Marsh - the crannogman is the last thing I would expect. This could be a name of any minor noble family in westeros, swamps may be anywhere north of dornish sands.

The crannogmen  are said to be poor people, they seem to be similar to other 'free peasant' societies, living in hardly accessible places so that it is hard for outer powers to impose their will or customs on them. like highlanders, cossacks etc. I imagine the social stratification is rather flat in the neck. 

Bowen seems to be typical westerosi nobleman, bloated dude hanging out with other high born arseholes, not much crannogmanish imo. Is he short anyway? Where has he learned to count so well and to worship the 7?

Archived