US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

We're over the ol' thread limit, although it's yet to be certified.  Herein log your complaints and arguments and declarations of dissatisfaction with your fellow boarders, under the general umbrella of US Political BS

EDIT: The BS does not signify nor does it not not signify the membership of any alleged professional class, self-professed or otherwise considered.  

Well this isn't a good sign:

Two longtime DFL state senators from the Iron Range severed ties with their party on Wednesday, forming an independent caucus and altering the dynamics in a narrowly divided Minnesota Senate.

Sen. Tom Bakk of Cook, a former DFL leader at the Capitol, and Sen. David Tomassoni of Chisholm cited growing political polarization and an opportunity to chair committees and better serve their districts within the legislative framework as reasons for the split.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well this isn't a good sign:

Fuck Tom Bakk. I had a very memorable interaction with him when I had to spend a bit of time in Northern MN. I was arguing that primaries are a good thing because they keep incumbents honest. He adamantly said elected officials should never be primaried, and I don't recall him speaking to me again while I was up there or on my later visits. 

So yeah, fuck him. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck Tom Bakk.

Both of the specific Senators sound like major league assholes, and I frankly don't care about the internal state politics of Minnesota.  My concern is what this portends for the exacerbating rural-urban divide - especially in purplish states.  Dems can only rely on running up the margins in cities so much to win statewide offices.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Both of the specific Senators sound like major league assholes, and I frankly don't care about the internal state politics of Minnesota.  My concern is what this portends for the exacerbating rural-urban divide - especially in purplish states.  Dems can only rely on running up the margins in cities so much to win statewide offices.

The Senate map over the next few decades must really make you weep, then. 

@Chataya de Fleury just from the end of the last thread. My Dad was an accountant by qualification. He was too poor to go to university so he did accounting at night school (equivalent of community college I suppose) while working days. Still became one of the youngest people ever (in NZ) at that time to get his ACA qualification. But because he never got a university degree he was never truly accepted into the "brotherhood". Effing elitists. They could deny him their respect, but they couldn't deny him his profession.

Isn't it true that lawyers who file lawsuits with ill-intent or for frivolous reasons can be punished by an angry judge or even lose their license?  Yes, I know that the bar for this type of punishment is typically very high.  But it seems like when a lawyer argues that a million votes should just be thrown out for vague, unsupported reasons (something Guiliani did in federal court just yesterday), that pretty clearly qualifies.  Particularly when these lawsuits are part of a coordinated campaign to deligitimize the Presidential election with allegations of widespread fraud, without presenting any evidence that such fraud actually occurred? 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Our president is clearly insane:

And water is wet, and the sun rises in the east. Any other news you have to share?

47 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What I heard this morning was a rumour that Barr would announce he is taking control of the electoral votes in several states because of ‘massive fraud’.

Please, the Republican senate under the turtleage (hey, I wanted to make that joke for a while) of Mitch will not stand for this. esp. not the honorable Senator from Scot's home state.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

What I heard this morning was a rumour that Barr would announce he is taking control of the electoral votes in several states because of ‘massive fraud’.

Deep breath, but it doesn't seem likely that particular tweet would be referring to the above because I don't think Barr making such an announcement would be described by Trump as "lawyers" for the RNC. Surely it would be the Justice Dept., not the RNC, where Barr would make an announcement. 

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Deep breath, but it doesn't seem likely that particular tweet would be referring to the above because I don't think Barr making such an announcement would be described by Trump as "lawyers" for the RNC. Surely it would be the Justice Dept., not the RNC, where Barr would make an announcement. 

While I also don'T consider it likely (mainly because it's absolutely bonkers). But your reasoning has some flaws. Trump is not really someone for subtle distinction, or any distinctions for that matter. I am genuinely not sure, whether he could tell the difference between his personal Lawyer and the AG office, so him saying RNC instead of Justice department, I wouldn't put it past him. Barr has turned the Justice Department into some sorta presidential pro bono law firm. Ok, not really pro bono, as the American tax payer picks up the Bill.

Since the election Trump has had “no scheduled events” on his calendar except for showing up at the Remembrance Day ceremony at the cemetery (and he was late! Because screw the 11th hour! Let everybody wait in the rain!) and his vaccination press conference.  He’s been playing golf, tweeting, and brooding. And, apparently, plotting on how to stay in the WH.

Months ago I was worried he would do something stupid if he didn’t win, and then for a long time I assured myself he couldn’t because there was going to be a blue wave. Now I’m seriously worried again.

The Republicans on the board of canvassers in Wayne County Michigan, who finally certified their results after being read for filth by the public, are now attempting to "rescind" their certification because they felt "bullied."

One canvasser seems like a standard issue suburban Republican hack with some generalized corruption issues, but the other one, William Hartmann, is a proud racist piece of shit whose social media feeds include it all: "Obama is a Muslim" memes, conspiracy theories about CIA vote fraud, and Covid denialism.

https://theslot.jezebel.com/lets-meet-the-2-republicans-in-michigan-who-tried-and-f-1845704809

Archived