US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

1 minute ago, Fez said:

But my point more is, if you think none of this will work, then the thing you should be doing is stockpiling ammo; instead of complaining that nothing else proposed would work.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time; pointing out the fecklessness of national Democrats is just a hobby.

42 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This is blinkered. If Trump is trying a coup, which he absolutely is no matter how much he's fumblefucking around at it, do you think he's going to listen to the courts?

I'm not saying Trump is going to listen to the courts. I'm saying that if he can't get the courts to listen to *him*, he's done. And demonstrably, he can't. 

In the meantime, can you explain what it is the Democrats should be doing but aren't? What does their 'fecklessness' consist of? Be specific.

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

What does their 'fecklessness' consist of? Be specific.

Well, how far do you want me to go back? Bowing to austerity? Letting torturers go free? Bailing out Wall Street? Welfare reform? Participating in the gutting of unions? Backing bad cops? Opposing gay marriage for decades? Cozying up to murderous dictators because they're our murderous dictators? Backing the war in Iraq? Denying healthcare as a basic human right for who knows how long? Getting their asses kicked in 2010, 2014, 2016, and pretty much 2020?

It's pretty obvious the Democratic Party hasn't exactly been at the vanguard of any of these things; if Trump does, by some Christmas miracle, end up stealing the election, I'm not exactly holding my breath that Democrats are going to come riding in to save the day, and it seems prudent at least to remind the Democratic party, which has proved itself for decades to be rather slow on the political uptake, that it might be smart to start educating their voters about what Democrats will do to counter that doesn't amount to a strongly worded letter to the stacked Supreme Court.

16 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Hopefully that keeps the gold bug out of the Fed.

Unfortunately he's wealthy and will be fine.  Sadly Karma doesn't actually exist.

48 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I know exit polls could be bad—honestly I know they’d be worse this election with the majority of Trump voters 

With those caveats acknowledge exit polls are showing he did double his level of support among them even doing better than Romney.
https://www.metroweekly.com/2020/11/did-28-of-lgbtq-people-really-vote-for-donald-trump/

I still find the level of support a typical republican nominee could receive from the lgbt community weirdly high.

The Right wing propaganda machine has broad out reach.  The primary affect though is that if you don't hear about the awful stuff he does, then it doesn't really exist for you.  And so you add in the incumbent advantage if someone personally is doing ok, and that's probably where a lot of it is coming from.  

How many people even remember he kicked all the Trans folks out of the military?  Trump has done so many awful things in the past four years people have given up trying to keep track.  

Smh

http://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1329799212091940870

From the tweet (doesn't embed on mobile?)

Trump's lawyers filed an affidavit claiming statistical irregularities proving election fraud because they *confused Michigan for Minnesota*

They thought "MI" = Minnesota (it's MN), and then compared a bunch of results in Minnesota to Michigan population statistics.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sweet Jesus the people he has running his legal fights are all incompetent or are deliberately undermining him.  

The only blessing in the last four years is just how incompetent Trump and his team of enablers are.  Littlefinger would have had us wrapped up with a bow in an authoritarian dictatorship at this point based on emergency response to any of the minor disasters in the last few years.   Old Papa Palpatine would have had us cheering him for crushing North Korea and / or Iran.

Even as the incumbent with the Right Wing machine working overtime to brainwashing the country, Trump still couldn't get a majority of the voters to support him.  He's just so. . . . bad.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sweet Jesus the people he has running his legal fights are all incompetent or are deliberately undermining him.  

Right-wing Grifters. Lin Wood is the sleeze who tried to be Rittenhouse's lawyer and set up a GoFund Me for his defense (without apparent permission). 

Sidney Powell is something else entirely. She seems to genuinely have some screws loose.

12 minutes ago, Week said:

From the tweet (doesn't embed on mobile?)

Nope, you have to take the "mobile" out of the address, as well as the S from https I think. And make sure it's not rich text. When I am posting a tweet from my phone, I have to paste it into the message, edit the address, copy and repaste the corrected address, and choose plaintext. Then it finally embeds properly.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It’s not a coup, it’s an autovoulpe or something like that. With the modifier “attempted” I front of it.

Yeah it's a self-coup or auto-coup, from the Spanish term autogolpe.

21 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

it seems prudent at least to remind the Democratic party, which has proved itself for decades to be rather slow on the political uptake, that it might be smart to start educating their voters about what Democrats will do to counter that doesn't amount to a strongly worded letter to the stacked Supreme Court.

....This still doesn't really answer the first part of mormont's question.  What specifically should the Dems be doing that they aren't right now?  All this suggests is, I dunno, performing a rendition of "Be Prepared" from Lion King.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah it's a self-coup or auto-coup, from the Spanish term autogolpe.

....This still doesn't really answer the first part of mormont's question.  What specifically should the Dems be doing that they aren't right now?  All this suggests is, I dunno, performing a rendition of "Be Prepared" from Lion King.

I'm saying they should be out there telling Democratic voters that they'll be backing a general strike if Trump overturns the results in Michigan.

That's a specific solution to a specific set of events.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Right-wing Grifters. Lin Wood is the sleeze who tried to be Rittenhouse's lawyer and set up a GoFund Me for his defense (without apparent permission). 

Sidney Powell is something else entirely. She seems to genuinely have some screws loose.

Will competent Attorneys not take him on.  I sure as shit wouldn’t.  Hell getting paid is always a problem after being hired by Trump.

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm saying they should be out there telling Democratic voters that they'll be backing a general strike if Trump overturns the results in Michigan.

It's also lending credibility to Trump's efforts, which may lead to the exact opposite of the desired effect by convincing skeptical GOP leaders that maybe it's worth a shot.  Until something tangible actually happens - and no, Trump inviting state GOP leaders to the White House doesn't count - not granting legitimacy to Trump's efforts is plainly the wisest course.  Call it feckless all you want.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's also lending credibility to Trump's efforts, which may lead to the exact opposite of the desired effect by convincing skeptical GOP leaders that maybe it's worth a shot.  Until something tangible actually happens - and no, Trump inviting state GOP leaders to the White House doesn't count - not granting legitimacy to Trump's efforts is plainly the wisest course.  Call it feckless all you want.

And how much legitimacy do you think it will give his efforts if he somehow manages to flip Michigan? And then Democrats will be doing the same shit they are always doing, which is trying to respond. 

It *is* feckless.

For what it's worth:

Personally, I absolutely trust Tim Alberta's reporting in Michigan, right up there with Ralston for Nevada. Outside of Michigan, maybe not, but he knows Michigan. If the state politicians there are telling him this, I believe it.

Archived