US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

On the gripping hand,  I believe Yglesias was just randomly tweeting today or yesterday about the fact that Vox partially saw itself as a project to "disrupt" traditional media like NYT... and NYT not only failed to be disrupted, but basically went on and began poaching a lot of their early team.

I think for both Yglesias and Klein I'd view this as a victory - traditional media has adapted to their (and, importantly, many others') approach more so than them adapting to traditional media.  Which means, for Klein, this seems like pretty much a lateral move.  Cynically, I suspect that simply means more money.  I did like how Melissa Bell's announcement had the subheadline "What’s next for us. (We’re hiring!)"

Generally I'd say Klein is correct - and genuine - that Vox doesn't need him anymore.  Dylan Matthews, Lauren McGann, Zach Beauchamp, Ian Millhiser, Li Zhou, Andrew Prokop, Emily Stewart, Dylan Scott, Sean Illing.  They still got a lot of good-to-great reporters/columnists.

One thing I find quite amusing is it seems Yglesias, in part, left Vox because it was too "woke," whereas it appears Lauren Williams is leaving Vox, in part, because it is not "woke" enough. 

OMG Trump is on tv raving again. “I won the election, I got 74 M votes! Even though everyone was against us, the media was against us, big pharma companies spent billions on ads against me, big tech was against me. Pfizer held back on their announcement to hurt me. Who knows if it would have helped me, the Democrats would have found more ballots somewhere”.

And US states can come to Canada now and buy drugs? Fuck off and die! We have 38 M people and we’re supposed to supply 332 M people? Drop dead!

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Then there was the occasion a few years ago when some other colleagues made a big deal of me saying I was "fixin'" to do something. 

"Wow Dante, were you raised in Alabama?"

"No, dick, I just enjoy language."

This literally made me lol.  Woulda liked to have been there for that.

58 minutes ago, DMC said:

I absolutely love the word persnickety no matter what year it is and I will proudly die on that hill.

Ormond gets a pass, but you're a word terrorist! 

42 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Along with Ormond, I also can lay claim to having used the word “persnickety” in 2020.

I have also used the word “kerfluffle” not just once, but on multiple occasions.

Please don't escalate this to a fracas. 

Apparently Andrew Cuomo is being given an International Emmy  “in recognition of his leadership during the Covid-19 pandemic and his masterful use of television to inform and calm people around the world.” Cuomo has spent the bulk of this pandemic in a dick measuring contest with de Blasio and doing weird publicity shit like his Mission Accomplished mountain sculpture and the giant quilt they made out of cloth masks people sent them that they just cut up instead of finding a use for them.

Cuomo is a piece of shit who has undeservedly gotten way too much credit for the handling of this pandemic, and now he's probably going to be a big time player in the National party.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

It's not floundering; he's doing what any abuser/grifter does - he's finding any weak spot he can and is seeing how far he can exploit it.

That is what he's floundering about doing, yes - but not in any planned, calculated way. A motive and a strategy are two different things.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Because they are his judges? 

I mean, this is a horrific, appalling, evil ruling, one that is a travesty of any definition of 'rights'. I'm 1000% with you there.

But, well, this judge was a Trump appointment and he dismissed Trump's election suit in Georgia out of hand.

I dont know how reliable Axios is, but this article was shared by the Guardian: https://www.axios.com/trump-giuliani-white-house-michigan-covid-abbbbcf3-e415-4d9d-8911-427be7b645b1.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

Rudy Giuliani and other key members of President Trump's outside legal team won't be attending today's meeting with two Michigan lawmakers because they've been exposed to the coronavirus, two sources familiar with the internal discussions tell Axios.

Why it matters: This added turmoil inside the president's legal operation comes at a time when the president is urging Republican state lawmakers to interfere with the electoral process and reverse Joe Biden's victory to a Trump win.

"It's just a shitshow, it's a joke," said a Trump campaign adviser.

If he is going it alone with the Michigan lawmakers, then I think nothing is going to come of it.

16 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

and now he's probably going to be a big time player in the National party.

Er, no he's not.  In fact he's decidedly less of a player in the national party now than he was when he was elected governor a decade ago.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

If he is going it alone with the Michigan lawmakers, then I think nothing is going to come of it.

...And Giuliani's attendance was gonna change that?

The squalid little ghoul Giuliani's son Andrew, who pals around the golf course with rumpty, is positive -- whether than means he's sick or not who knows?  So it's very like his dad is also positive.  But it never occurred to me until Bird's post, that maybe the ghoul was actually sick, physically.  Mentally, yes, and in his soul too, yes, but I didn't occur to me until then.  Duh.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Much as it hurts me to say this, but even with the sheer incompetence of the Trump legal team, at least they have a (pretty bare)framework of reference in which to hash out a path forward. I dont think Trump is capable of even that.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

OMG Trump is on tv raving again. “I won the election, I got 74 M votes! Even though everyone was against us, the media was against us,  IG pharma companies spent billions on ads against me, big tech was against me. Pfizer held back on their announcement to hurt me. Who knows if it would have helped me, the Democrats would have found more ballots somewhere”.

And US states can come to Canada now and buy drugs? Fuck off and die! We have 38 M people and we’re supposed to supply 332 M people? Drop dead!

Pretty sure "Drop Dead" was Trump's 2020 election strategy/tagline. You're just playing into his moist, tiny hands.

21 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Pretty sure "Drop Dead" was Trump's 2020 election strategy/tagline. You're just playing into his moist, tiny hands.

Seriously, why the bloody hell don't American states negotiate their own bloody drug prices, like everybody else in the world does. It's one thing to have busloads of American seniors showing up (or they did before the border was closed) to buy their insulin, it's another thing for the state of Florida, population 21.5 M buying their prescription drugs in a country that negotiated drug prices for 38 M people. Fuck Florida. Florida apparently went to Trump and asked for this.

Somehow I seriously doubt Trump called Trudeau and asked that Canada negotiate drug prices for 360 M people, or asked for permission to send states here to clean out our drug supplies. And fuck those mingy hands.

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Er, no he's not.  In fact he's decidedly less of a player in the national party now than he was when he was elected governor a decade ago.

Cuomo is has been given a massive platform, and I think i he is extremely ambitious. Maybe I will end up being incorrect, but I am confident that he is going to try and leverage his new found name recognition and the narrative the media has assisted him in crafting, into a larger role in the democratic party.

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Cuomo is has been given a massive platform, and I think i he is extremely ambitious. Maybe I will end up being incorrect, but I am confident that he is going to try and leverage his new found name recognition and the narrative the media has assisted him in crafting, into a larger role in the democratic party.

I've listened to dozens and dozens of interviews with Cuomo on our public radio, and he gets asked about Presidential ambitions all the time.  I never really believed him when he said he wasn't interested until the most recent one.  He was adamant about having too much to do in NY, they asked him about President and AG.  He seemed to legit not want any position beyond NY Governor.  Of course if he he ever lost I could see him trying something else, but I think he legit wants to be NY Governor forever.

Archived