US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Cuomo is has been given a massive platform, and I think i he is extremely ambitious.

He's certainly ambitious, but he's also made tons of enemies within the Democratic party as well as completely turned off a large part of its electorate during his tenure as governor (this would be part of the "piece of shit" you referred to).  He's running for a fourth term in two years, and he may well encounter quite the challenge in both the primary and the general.  Even during what should've been a "rehab" for his image with the platform covid granted him you mentioned, he's still been combative and contentious with many within the party.  Never say never, but it's very very unlikely he'd ever make any headway in a presidential primary, and it's considerably unlikely he'd ever get through the primary to be elected Senator in NY considering the competition if one of those seats opens up. 

Governor is just about as far as he's ever gonna go in all likelihood, like his father (although his father was a much better politician that squandered his opportunity by waiting too long, not by constantly being an asshole).  And as larry said, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not really interested in anything else anymore.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/526929-gop-congresswoman-elect-wants-to-form-republican-squad-called-the-force

I wholeheartedly approve of the Republican women creating The Force to counter The Squad. Spot on for a bunch of fascists. Let's just call them what they are: The Fascist Force. The FF for short.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

He's certainly ambitious, but he's also made tons of enemies within the Democratic party as well as completely turned off a large part of its electorate during his tenure as governor (this would be part of the "piece of shit" you referred to). 

He's done everything he can contrive to take out AOC and other young Dem politicians and candidates like her, progressive and of color, and he was doing that long Before the pandemic.  He's worked endlessly to remove the Working Families Party from the ballots, to rid the state of any 'social Dems," etc.  NYC people only liked him this winter when he did do some really good stuff for us in the pandemic while be sabotaged and denied any assistance from the fed at rumpty's direction.  He was never afraid to stand up in public against him, which is a frackwad more than many other governors, whether rethug or dem, have been.

But he and de Blasio both are dragging their feet seriously, putting thousands in danger of infection and death, because despite what they say, they do not want to issue a shut-down order until after Thanksgiving.  They are saying now, it won't happen until earliest, early in December, though they do say it will happen.

10 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Let's just call them what they are: The Fascist Force. The FF for short.

I'd say they should call themselves the Fox Force Five, but I suppose the Fox part wouldn't be good for them right now.  I did like Omar's reaction:

“I mean it sounds ridiculous to me. I think they think they’re in high school. We’re in Congress,” Omar said in response to the new group, NBC News reported. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How many voted out of “party loyalty” or “I always vote for the Republican”.  I really wonder.  You may be right 72 million people all really buy into Trump’s cult of personality.  But, I doubt it.

I know too many people who claim to dislike Trump but held their nose and voted for him anyway.  If he splits from the Republican Party... it is an opportunity for Democrats. 

Seeing him solidify his hold on the Republican party out of the White House is harder because of the “party loyalty”, I concede that point.  But this may genuinely be an opportunity.

I think it's easy to hold their nose for him because despite the disaster he is in general, he did a lot for the Republican party's values: stacking the courts, tax cuts for the wealthy, pro-choice, removing title ix protections, promoting private and charter over public education, etc. If the roles were reversed and we had just a nasty Democratic president but who still pushed party-specific platforms (successfully), I don't think there's a Republican I could vote for over him/her. It's hard to speculate, of course, because I can't imagine what a Democrat mirror of Trump would even be as what is most vile about Trump, to me, is the aggressive racist stances he takes and the harm he causes of people of color. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pump the breaks. Who in 2020 uses the word “persnickety?”

Quite frankly, when deployed under the right circumstances there is no better word. It perfectly encapsulates the person's actions and state of mind.

It's a little bit early for formal disbarment complaints. Prior to the election being secured by way of one(?) more flipped state certifying the election*, disbarment proceedings can be spun as the minions of Satan, communist, Democratic party attempting to obstruct and pervert the course of justice. After the dust has settled, then a whole bunch of people should lay complaints, But more than that I would prefer it if state AGs started investigations into breaches of frivolous lawsuit laws. I'd prefer the DoJ to stay out of it because then it becomes a Biden witch hunting Trump narrative, and as much as Biden will say he, nor anyone in his administration, is directing such proceedings that won't be the public narrative.

*On second thought, people should wait until after the electoral college has voted, just to be 1000% sure.**

**Actually to be 1000% sure I think it should wait until the day after Biden is inaugurated.

Law firms withdrew from representing Trump because they realized they were walking a very fine line between legitimate complaints and frivolous, bullshit complaints. As has been noted in other posts, the Trump campaign could not get any respectable law firm in that area of law to act for them. I don’t think it’s necessary to wait for either certification or inauguration to file complaints against this outrageous group of lawyers. Courts do not appreciate bullshit being presented to them by officers of the court.

23 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Quite frankly, when deployed under the right circumstances there is no better word. It perfectly encapsulates the person's actions and state of mind.

Well since forming cliques is so en vogue, why don't y'all create the Persnickety Posse. :P

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/montana-republican-flees-facebook-after-getting-called-out-for-referring-to-kamala-harris-as-a-hoe/

A Montana state lawmaker is apologizing for a Facebook post where he used a derogatory term to refer to Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, the Great Falls Tribune reports.

People are calling on Governor-elect Greg Gianforte to remove Rep. Kerry White from his Fish, Wildlife and Parks transition advisory team in the wake of his post, where he referred to Joe Biden and Harris as “Joe and Hoe.”

But White says he was the victim of a hit job.

(...)

According to White, when he referred to Harris as a “hoe,” he actually meant that she’s someone who had dug in or become entrenched in their ideology.

“If that offended anybody I am sorry,” he said.

Lol.

According to Michigan's legislative leaders, they only went to the White House meeting so that they could personally deliver a letter lobbying for additional Federal funding to support the state's COVID efforts. And they stated again that they will follow the law regarding the election and that they have not been made aware of any fraud.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

According to Michigan's legislative leaders, they only went to the White House meeting so that they could personally deliver a letter lobbying for additional Federal funding to support the state's COVID efforts.

Ha!!!  Gotta hand it to them, that is some world-class sandbagging on their part.

Gads the force -- they playing the Melania card, when without a single idea of one's own (or maybe any ideas at all), plagiarize from the Dems and those they demonize?  They don't have any ideas at all, other than destruction and cruelty and abuse and lie lie lie lie lie.

Just now, Zorral said:

Gads the force -- they playing the Melania card, when without a single idea of one's own (or maybe any ideas at all), plagiarize from the Dems and those they demonize?  They don't have any ideas at all, other than destruction and cruelty and abuse and lie lie lie lie lie.

Where, who?

Btw., did y'all know tthere's a WH superspreader website?

http://www.whitehousesuperspreader.com/

14 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/montana-republican-flees-facebook-after-getting-called-out-for-referring-to-kamala-harris-as-a-hoe/

A Montana state lawmaker is apologizing for a Facebook post where he used a derogatory term to refer to Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, the Great Falls Tribune reports.

People are calling on Governor-elect Greg Gianforte to remove Rep. Kerry White from his Fish, Wildlife and Parks transition advisory team in the wake of his post, where he referred to Joe Biden and Harris as “Joe and Hoe.”

But White says he was the victim of a hit job.

(...)

According to White, when he referred to Harris as a “hoe,” he actually meant that she’s someone who had dug in or become entrenched in their ideology.

“If that offended anybody I am sorry,” he said.

Jesus Christ.

A hoe (as opposed to ho/whore) is a farming tool which someone from Montana should be familiar with. It is used to till and turn up the soil and weeds, not for digging and burying.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How many voted out of “party loyalty” or “I always vote for the Republican”.  I really wonder.  You may be right 72 million people all really buy into Trump’s cult of personality.  But, I doubt it.

I know too many people who claim to dislike Trump but held their nose and voted for him anyway.  If he splits from the Republican Party... it is an opportunity for Democrats. 

Seeing him solidify his hold on the Republican party out of the White House is harder because of the “party loyalty”, I concede that point.  But this may genuinely be an opportunity.

Ultimately I don't think it matters. The idea that Trump is going to split the Republican party is ludicrous because Trump IS the party. As long as those elected officials see that 72m+ number, they're not going to reject him, they're going to fear him. 

So ultimately it doesn't matter if they buy in or if they're sheep going with the flow or they justify his criminal behavior however - they can effectively be treated the same. They saw the last 4 years and said "I want more of that". 

I still think that once Trump is out of government every 2024 Republican hopeful is going to try their level best to drag him down without getting caught directly in the defacing.

There are probably many of Trump's staff who will end up working for Cruz, Haley, etc. They may or may not have recordings of their own, given how easy it seems to get Trump or his staff on tape.

If he manages to wrangle a pardon or similar concessions in exchange for a swift transition, I'll scream. Maybe Biden's noises about him personally preferring he'd not be persecuted were signals to 45... Or hopefully I'm just paranoid.

Archived