US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Why would you post that? I feel actually queasy and ill now, and it's almost dinner time. I recommend people don't watch. It is video of Guiliani doing something that may stimulate the gag reflex. It isn't sexual or anything involving touching another person, but it is still one of the grossest things you may ever see at a press conference.

:ack::stillsick:

Well I laughed out loud.

They certainly aren't sending their best.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Why would you post that? I feel actually queasy and ill now, and it's almost dinner time. I recommend people don't watch. It is video of Guiliani doing something that may stimulate the gag reflex. It isn't sexual or anything involving touching another person, but it is still one of the grossest things you may ever see at a press conference.

:ack::stillsick:

Any video of Giuliani stimulates the gag reflex.

Speaking of gross...

President Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, could become the next Trump on a ballot as she is reportedly considering a 2022 Senate run in her home state of North Carolina, according to a New York Times report on Thursday. 

Three allies of Lara Trump told the Times that she has been telling associates she could run in two years to replace Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), who plans to retire at the end of his term.

On the State Legislature Coup thing... surely the State Legislatures have already determined the process of appointing electors via actual state-level laws, and as such appointing competing electors would require a change in State Law (which would run into Democratic Governor vetoes in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania).

Basically, the coup would involve the State Legislatures literally ignoring their own laws, and deciding to act retrospectively. Which is a recipe for something very, very ugly.

(A more realistic scenario is the Republicans sweeping the mid-terms in 2022, ousting those pesky Governors, and then toying with State Legislature Electors in the run-up to 2024).  

43 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Basically, the coup would involve the State Legislatures literally ignoring their own laws, and deciding to act retrospectively. Which is a recipe for something very, very ugly.

Yes.  The "rationale" is that Article II Section 1 Clause 2 specifically grants state legislatures the right to appoint electors, not technically state law.

As for the GOP trying to change state laws in the run up to 2024, I hope they do!  Let them try to pass laws saying they should be empowered to appoint their state's electors, not the voters.  What a great way to get swing states to, in response, pass the national popular vote compact.

18 minutes ago, Darryk said:

The hair dye melting down Rudi Giuliani's cheek made it look like he was wearing a human face as a mask.

I thought that too. If he was a democrat, QAnon nutters would be going maximum David Icke.

6 hours ago, Week said:

Well I laughed out loud.

They certainly aren't sending their best.

I think audio only would have been funny. It was very descriptive. So I suppose if people close their eyes when they hit play it might be OK.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sure sure sure. How dare they call it almond milk! Or coconut milk! Or soy milk! Nuke ‘em!

Yes, well the international dairy mafia federation is trying to prevent that in law in many countries. Ice cream is slightly different, in many countries it has already been defined thusly.

10 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Because it was still a case of the Most Pure Left using the right's own dumb culture war talking points.

Oh look, Search by Author is useful again: 

I cited how overblown the "53% of white women" thing was, which as others have pointed out, is not the same as suburban (read: college educated) white women. Suburban white women are some of my best friends. Shit, I married one.

The suburban counties around Philly broke heavily for Biden, as I recall. That had to involve at least some suburban white women.

At the risk of opening another can of worms, I had a hard time parsing this burn on me, I am not sure what the "same argument" I'm making is but maybe we can at least agree that arguments about defunding the police and arguments about Pelosi showing off her ice cream stash have slightly different impacts on people's lives?

Wasn't a burn, and of course they do.

I see Tucker Carlson has felt the need to distance himself from the Giuliani press conference, especially that crazy lady claiming it should be Trump with 80 million votes not Biden because all those voting machines flipped millions of Trump votes.

I really think some officers of the court should be disbarred, or at least severely censured for bringing the legal profession into disrepute when all this is over. There has been some major ethical misconduct happening.

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I see Tucker Carlson has felt the need to distance himself from the Giuliani press conference, especially that crazy lady claiming it should be Trump with 80 million votes not Biden because all those voting machines flipped millions of Trump votes.

It turns out NZers can't be smug. We've got idiots too, who are convinced our election was rigged... and we've got paper ballots!

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I really think some officers of the court should be disbarred, or at least severely censured for bringing the legal profession into disrepute when all this is over. There has been some major ethical misconduct happening.

Yes.  They should. They are flagrantly abusing the authority they are entrusted with.

5 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

On the State Legislature Coup thing... surely the State Legislatures have already determined the process of appointing electors via actual state-level laws, and as such appointing competing electors would require a change in State Law (which would run into Democratic Governor vetoes in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania).

Well, yes. There's a reason the word 'coup' keeps getting thrown about. There's nothing legal about any of it.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, yes. There's a reason the word 'coup' keeps getting thrown about. There's nothing legal about any of it.

Oh, I realise that. I am just trying to determine whether there's enough of a figleaf for a Trump-influenced Supreme Court to get involved.

I think Democrats need to quit talking about how improbable Trump's path to a coup is, and instead start talking about what material actions they're going to take to stop it if it starts looking more likely. 

People better start gaming out some tail-risk scenarios PDQ, because I, for one, am pretty fucking tired of being told how "improbable" it will be for Trump to win the primary, or get elected, or get re-elected, or whatever.

Democrats keep waiting for Trump to be forced to acknowledge reality, but I think that McConnell and Trump have proved that the U.S. has deliberately been built in such a way that if the only thing you care about is power, and you have enough of it, reality bends to your will, not the other way around. Somehow, we just always thought it was a really good idea to base all that power on nothing more than a gentlemen's agreement.

Archived