Lit Prizes

Myshkin

The international booker noms are out apparently. But every link I clicked wanted cookies or something, and I feel I've given enough cookies for one lifetime. Maybe in my next life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 6:49 AM, Kyoshi said:

The international booker noms are out apparently. But every link I clicked wanted cookies or something, and I feel I've given enough cookies for one lifetime. Maybe in my next life.

The longlist for the International Booker is:

Cursed Bunny by Bora Chung (S. Korea)

After The Sun by Jonas Eika (Denmark)

A New Name: Septology VI-VII by Jon Fosse (Norway)

More Than I Love My Life by David Grossman (Israel)

The Book of Mother by Violaine Huisman (France)

Heaven by Mieko Kawakami (Japan)

Paradais by Fernanda Melchor (Mexico)

Love in the Big City by Sang Young Park (S. Korea)

Happy Stories, Mostly by Norman Erikson (Indonesia)

Elena Knows by Claudia Pineiro (Argentina)

Phenotypes by Paulo Scott (Brazil)

Tomb of Sand by Geetanjali Shree (India)

The Books of Jacob by Olga Tokarczuk (Poland)

Colm Toibin's The Magician won the Rathbone's Folio Prize. This British award is interesting in that it is designed to be given to a book of literary merit in any genre. The shortlist included a nonfiction book (by Hoare) and a poetry book (by Hill) as well as novels:

Assembly, Natasha Brown

The Promise, Damon Galgut

Men Who Feed Pigeons, Selima Hill

Albert and the Whale, Philip Hoare

Small Things Like These, Claire Keegan

My Phantoms, Gwendoline Riley

China Room, Sunjeev Sahota

The Magician, Colm Tóibín

https://www.rathbonesfolioprize.com/

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, Myshkin said:

Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 3:28 AM, Myshkin said:

The shortlist for International Booker Prize 2022:

I think Ms. Tokarczuk may be a favorite but I also heard lots of praise for Heaven.

I try to always pick 2 and read since it’s one of the ways to sample current foreign lit translated in English but I have to say the latest winners (The Discomfort of Evening 2021 and At Night All Blood is Black 2022) are incredibly raw to read.

I wonder if we as humans purposely choose these incredibly disturbing graphic stories as the best because we are fascinated by the grotesque cruelty of the trauma and our inability to heal and/or survive or we truly think these are the best told stories.

I did find both books incredibly well written. I would not recommend either to my friends though. Especially the first one. It’s probably because I think it should come with some huge trigger warning.

anyway, looking forward to see who they pick as the winner on May 26th.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sad about that. They've highlighted some very fine books in their time. Just glancing over the lists of previous winners, many names jumped out in different categories, among them The Lie Tree (Frances Hardinge) and The Invention of Nature (Andrea Wulf).  It was shoddy of Coco Cola to scrap them rather than handing them over to another sponsor. 

Philip Pullman laments the end of the Costa Awards.

The most interesting thing about the prize was probably the category aspect. Could judges fairly compare a biography with a first novel, or a work of fiction with a book of poetry? Distinguished judging panels managed to do so, year after year. Most interestingly, could a children’s book ever win at all?

• 3 months later...

October 17 is the day they announce the 2022 Man Booker Prize Winner.
The shortlist noms:

Glory by NoViolet Bulawayo

Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan

The Trees by Percival Everett

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka 

Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout

Treacle Walker by Alan Garner

The only familiar name for me is Ms. Strout who already won the Pulitzer years back for Olive Kitteridge and who seems to have found a lot of energy in the last decade writing quite a few good books that gained all kinds of accolades from critics and public alike.

As for the 2022 International Booker Prize, the winner was Tomb of Sand

Alan Garner's a key writer in the development of the fantasy genre and children's fiction. He wrote the Weird Stone of Brisingamen, Elidor and The Owl Service (based on the Blodeuwedd myth) in his sixties heyday. Later he moved into folklore, short stories and books for adults. These days, he has a sort of shamanic reputation, famous for his relationship with the landscape around Alderley Edge and his embodiment of it and his childhood and family history in his writing. He's one of those writers that became alienated from his roots through his academic success, going from a fairly humble background to study at Oxford and losing his accent on the way, and seems to have spent the rest of his life attempting to recreate the lost connections. 

Amazing to be shortlisted for the Man Booker at 87 years old.

The Owl Service and its ending left an indelible memory when I read it, it was so strange and different and ... I don't know, numinous

On 5/1/2021 at 12:28 AM, Thor Stark said:

My elementary school English teacher gave me a cup for best story! ^_^

Does that count as a lit prize? Gosh, seems so long ago 

In the 4th grade I won the school wide prize for best short story.  It was dictated it had to be a nice story, with no violence in it, so I wrote a summer idyll.   I received a shiny Canadian silver dollar.  I took it with me when I move to Toronto for university, and lost it along with my wallet some time the night I got kicked out of a pub for drunken behaviour.  I think the bouncer picked my pocket.

• 5 months later...

International Booker prize announces longlist to celebrate ‘ambition and panache’
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/mar/14/international-booker-prize-announces-longlist-to-celebrate-ambition-and-panache
https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/features/the-international-booker-prize-2023-longlist-13-things-you-need-to-know

The list includes books from Ukrainian writer Andrey Kurkov as well as Indian novelist Perumal Murugan who declared himself ‘dead’ after protests against his workOne of Ukraine’s best known writers, a novelist back from the “dead”, and an author who dictated her book are among the long listed writers for this year’s International Booker prize.The list, said French Moroccan novelist and chair of judges Leïla Slimani, “celebrates the variety and diversity of literary production today”.This year’s 13-strong longlist contains three languages – Bulgarian, Catalan and Tamil – that have never appeared before. In total, the list comprises 11 languages with three writers – GauZ’, Zou Jingzhi and Amanda Svensson – whose work has appeared in English for the first time.

The shortlist of six books will be announced at London Book Fair on 18 April, with the winner announced at a London ceremony on 23 May.

The 2023 prize is being judged by Leïla Slimani (chair), Uilleam Blacker, Tan Twan Eng, Parul Sehgal and Frederick Studemann.

Longlist

Archived