Was Robert capable of killing children?

Alyn Oakenfist

So one thing that has bugged me for some time. Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon got Oberyn'd to death, letting Robert only deal with the consequences. And as horrifying as it was, the killings did help Robert a lot, so it's clear why he was relieved. Question is, was Robert relieved because he didn't have a threat on his hands or because he didn't have to do it himself? Was he capable of killing the children before the Sack?

We know he's capable of killing pregnant women, the question is, is he capable of going one step beyond?

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So one thing that has bugged me for some time. Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon got Oberyn'd to death, letting Robert only deal with the consequences. And as horrifying as it was, the killings did help Robert a lot, so it's clear why he was relieved. Question is, was Robert relieved because he didn't have a threat on his hands or because he didn't have to do it himself? Was he capable of killing the children before the Sack?

We know he's capable of killing pregnant women, the question is, is he capable of going one step beyond?

You know what Robert would do with a million gold dragons? Kill two pregnant women at the same time

Lord Tywin stared at him as if he had lost his wits. "You deserve that motley, then. We had come late to Robert's cause. It was necessary to demonstrate our loyalty. When I laid those bodies before the throne, no man could doubt that we had forsaken House Targaryen forever. And Robert's relief was palpable. As stupid as he was, even he knew that Rhaegar's children had to die if his throne was ever to be secure. Yet he saw himself as a hero, and heroes do not kill children." 

I don't think he would be ok with killing children if he had to give the order after seeing them for himself (for eg if Rhaenys and Aegon were still there when he took KL). But I think it's less to do with mercy and more of a desire to see himself in a good light (and for others to see him in a good light).

2 hours ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

No . Robert likes to think himself to be a noble knight .

That's clear, and that's probably why he was relieved to be presented with the bodies, as Tywin pointed out. However between his desire to be the good guy and the threat the kids posed and his rage towards Targs, I'm 100% sure that his desire to be the good guy would have won out.

Remember that scene in Scarface where Frank Lopez is begging Tony for his life, saying "I never hurt nobody. "

Tony replies "No, no, you just got others to do it for you."

Could he bash an infant's head off a wall?  No, I don't think he could for one moment.  Could he breathe a deep sigh of relief when someone did it for him?  Oh yes.

• 1 month later...

Archived