Every day is a good day for ice cream

lady narcissa

Ice cream seems to be taking over the US Politics thread and frankly I think ice cream deserves its own thread.

So what is your favorite brand?  Favorite flavor?  How many times do you eat it in a day?  Do you plan vacations around eating ice cream?

I looooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeee ice cream.  I do plan vacations around ice cream.  I think one of the biggest mistakes of the Hallmark channel's "Christmas in Vienna" movie this weekend was the fact that it failed to feature the delightful ice cream concoctions that can be had when in Vienna.  I long to go back to Berlin so I can have delicious ice cream concoctions.  When I was in Rome for a month I ate ice cream (well gelato) 5 times a day.  Before I travel anywhere (well back when we could travel) I would always search through instragram to try to find fantastic ice cream places in whatever city I was going to.

I'm currently facing ice cream obstacles because I feel every grocery store available brand has taken a serious dive in ingredients because brand after brand is just tasting bleh.  So I am brandless at the moment.  I love mint chocolate chip more than anything.

If you don't like ice cream, please just hit the back button on your browser and exit the thread.  This is supposed to be a happy thread, please please please no negative comments.

If you are lactose intolerant, how do you survive?!?!  This is my biggest fear!  Are there other options that you enjoy?

There’s an ice cream shop across the street from the Duomo in Florence that I dream of returning to. My heavens, that was delicious stuff!

And there was a pop-up shop in Helsinki that sold bars of ice cream that you had dipped and decorated to order. Good thing I walked 20,000 steps that day...

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And there was a pop-up shop in Helsinki that sold bars of ice cream that you had dipped and decorated to order. Good thing I walked 20,000 steps that day...

Ha ha, yes, I went there as well when I was in Helsinki.  Custom Magnum bars.  I just pulled up the picture I took of my creation to relive it.  Actually I'm happy with just a plain Magnum bar, I really didn't need to add anything beyond the cholate coating over the vanilla ice cream.

10 minutes ago, Girl with Curious Hair said:

Well, I like Talenti Coffee Chocolate Chip gelato...

...I had such a good day today that I wish I had some. Ice cream just goes with good days, making them even better, doesn't it? ...

Ice cream is great because it makes bad days not so bad and good days even better!  I have tried some of the Talenti flavors but perhaps I need to further explore them.

I support this thread!

I love marble slab sweet cream ice cream mixed with strawberry puree in a a fresh baked waffle cone.  Sadly, for some covid related reason my local marble slab cannot make waffle cones right now.  

A local grocery store “Ingles” has pretty good store brand Ice Cream.  I buy their “Homemade Vanilla” and cover it with strawberry preserves.  I enjoy that a lot.  I also like their “Praline & Pecan” but they’ve been out of that for a month.

Ice cream... gooooooood!

@lady narcissa the non-dairy frozen dessert landscape has vastly improved over the days when the only thing you could get was Rice Dream. I've tried a whole bunch of different vegan ice creams (the ones from dedicated ice cream shops tend to be better than those you buy in the grocery store) and those made from coconut or oat milk are generally pretty good. I mean, then there's also the sorbets/sorbetto. 

As for my favorites -- hard to say definitively. I really like the Van Leeuwen Honeycomb. And I'm really wanting to try this new delivery-only company started by a friend of a friend: Baraat Ice Cream. The flavors sound incredibly intense in exactly the way I like. https://www.instagram.com/baraaticecream/

Until that fateful load of Jeni's arrived at my house, Talenti gelato was the store-bought brand of choice in our house. My wife loves the Peanut Butter Cup and I like the Coconut Almond Chocolate (coconut flavored things have come a long way from my youth, when I used to get faux snobby at my American-born friends and tell them white people have no idea what to do with coconuts).

I still have a weakness for Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream and Cherry Garcia. The Haagen Dazs Vanilla Chocolate Almond was also a favorite in pre-Talenti times. The most potent hit of delicious nostalgia, though, comes when I can get access to Magnolia (Philippine brand) mango ice cream.

Living near Boston just about all my adult life, I've learned that New Englanders take their ice cream very seriously and there are a number of excellent local stands in my area. There's one place where you can sit by the actual strawberry patch where they grow some of their strawberries. My wife's favorite stand, which she grew up near, features fresh local berries and other produce in the summer. The native black raspberry is a family favorite, and I like their peach flavor as well. 

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Until that fateful load of Jeni's arrived at my house, Talenti gelato was the store-bought brand of choice in our house. My wife loves the Peanut Butter Cup and I like the Coconut Almond Chocolate (coconut flavored things have come a long way from my youth, when I used to get faux snobby at my American-born friends and tell them white people have no idea what to do with coconuts).

I still have a weakness for Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream and Cherry Garcia. The Haagen Dazs Vanilla Chocolate Almond was also a favorite in pre-Talenti times. The most potent hit of delicious nostalgia, though, comes when I can get access to Magnolia (Philippine brand) mango ice cream.

Living near Boston just about all my adult life, I've learned that New Englanders take their ice cream very seriously and there are a number of excellent local stands in my area. There's one place where you can sit by the actual strawberry patch where they grow some of their strawberries. My wife's favorite stand, which she grew up near, features fresh local berries and other produce in the summer. The native black raspberry is a family favorite, and I like their peach flavor as well. 

Ben and Jerry’s strawberry cheesecake Ice Cream is among my wife’s very favorite Ice Creams.

I am a simple man, preferring vanilla in most cases.  I do have a weakness for Tillamok's Malted Moo though.

For my wife losing dairy sucks but as was said up thread, not longer devastating.  She actually likes a brand from Target (Archer's Farm) better than most we have tried.  Though I occasionally make homemade cinnamon from coconut milk that we both enjoy quite a bit.

I like any brand of chocolate chip.  No mint or cookie dough, though.  I actually love one of the store brand chocolate chips though I forget which one...Safeway or Freddies likely.  It has the little shavings sort of for chips and a ton of them.  Tillamook is better quality but fewer chips.  Still good.

Lately...like for months...I have been on a float binge.  My favorite root beer for floats is usually Weinhard's.

I also like B&J New York Super Fudge Chunk though it is a little busy for every day.  Also plain choc chip is perfect already.

Right now the only ice cream I have in the freezer is Trader Joe's Sublime Ice Cream Sandwiches.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I do quite like vanilla, which is a little boring, but I think my favourite is mint choc chip too.

I tend to keep a half gallon of vanilla bean in our house because it goes so well with so many things, and I'd happily eat a bowl of it plain.

Mint chocolate chip was one of my favorites growing up. I remember being around 14 and roaming around Los Angeles with some of my friends during the summer, and a TV crew was doing "person on the street" interviews for National Ice Cream Day. They asked me what my favorite flavor was, I told them it was mint chocolate chip. They asked me why it was my favorite, and with all the shameless leering ability of a teenage boy, I looked into the camera and said "I like the way it feels on my tongue."

I imagine they didn't air that interview, but I am 99% sure that immediately after that, my friends and I went to Diddy Riese to get a giant ice cream sandwich made with fresh-baked cookies. I cannot tell you how much it pleases me to find out that Diddy Riese is still there. Back then the ice cream sandwiches were a dollar. They're $3 now, which is still a good deal.

So many nice memories...

1 hour ago, SkynJay said:

I am a simple man, preferring vanilla in most cases.  I do have a weakness for Tillamok's Malted Moo though.

For my wife losing dairy sucks but as was said up thread, not longer devastating.  She actually likes a brand from Target (Archer's Farm) better than most we have tried.  Though I occasionally make homemade cinnamon from coconut milk that we both enjoy quite a bit.

Sky, not 100% certain in this, but isn't Archer Farms the Target house branding? If so, you could look into some other places with similar generic house branding and likely find the same stuff at Walmart or other grocery stores...turns out the labeling is all that changes a lot of times on that stuff.  Just a thought. 

As for ice cream in general, I'm just fine with Blue Bunny from the grocery, or Cedar Crest...I don't need fancy...

But one of the best ice cream shops doing their own thing was Pinocchio's on Sanibel Island. Family owned for nearly 50 years, I heard they sold the business this past summer and its been renamed. Covid kept me away from the island this summer, but they had the most amazing Java Chip...

Ice cream is delicious and wrapped up in so many events and memories. A scoop with birthday cake, with apple pie. Sticky hands. Frantically consuming melting scoops on sugar cones in the summer. The creepy ice cream trucks with soft serve and sprinkles. Stops at the Dairy Bell on the way to the cottage, or Lowe's Dairy. My grandparent's freezer loaded with bricks of Neapolitan, Pistachio, Vanilla, and Rocky Road 

MC and I differ on many things but we can agree on mint chip being the House of Mercenary flavour of choice. We usually have Talenti, when we have it all. We went months without any ice cream at home but that changed quickly during stay at home/furlough. We also started making our own again, something we hadn't done in a long while. First was chocolate espresso then mint chocolate then strawberry using the berries we picked in June. 

About a month or so ago he came home from Union Market with a pint of Van Leeuwen Mint Chocolate and life hasn't been the same. It's easily the best take home from a grocer case ice cream I've had. It's pricey at $8 a pint, which is likely a mix of the product itself and the gentrified mark up. At any rate, it's so rich and flavorful that a spoonful is often enough to satisfy a craving. Last night he came home with VL fudge brownie because I love chocolate. It did not disappoint. I see now that it's also available at Whole Foods. Oh no!

I've only had Coldstone Creamery once. During our last trip to San Diego we stopped in at Salt & Straw and that was pretty divine. If I had the cash and space I'd do a mail order.

Ooooooh, good thread. I had some vanilla ice cream earlier with the pie my brother and I just made.

But my favourite is just house-made portioned ice cream in cones from various smaller ice cream shops. Some give you very large portions and have very creamy flavours, and they are delicious. My favourite flavours are straciatella, hazelnut, blueberry, raspberry ...

@lady narcissa, you mentioned Vienna - which ice cream shops there do you like? My friend and I used to go to buy ice cream at Schwedenplatz quite often, they have like 30 different flavours and also vegan options, they are also good! I can very much recommend that one. Or also Eisgreissler, these small greenish ice cream shops in Austria that have very innovative flavours, for example poppy, that one was good.

In Graz, I tried pumpkin oil-flavoured ice cream because Sytria. That was ... interesting. It was very green and had pumpkin seeds in it.

Archived