Every day is a good day for ice cream

lady narcissa

I really love unusual regional flavors of ice cream. In New England, you can get a flavor called "Indian Pudding" that involves molasses and cornmeal, or frozen pudding, which is a kind of fancypants rum raisin but with many rum-soaked fruits. In Philly, you can get teaberry ice cream and it's great. I've never had Blue Moon ice cream (only found in Michigan and environs), but it's described as "the taste of the milk after you finished your bowl of Fruity Pebbles." 

18 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I really like the Van Leeuwen Honeycomb.

14 hours ago, kairparavel said:

About a month or so ago he came home from Union Market with a pint of Van Leeuwen Mint Chocolate and life hasn't been the same. It's easily the best take home from a grocer case ice cream I've had.

So clearly I need to try Van Leeuwen.  Sadly I looked at their website and its not available in Chicago at all.   There is some suburban grocery chain that carries it but I have no way of getting out there.  And they aren't shipping direct right now.  Sad.  So very sad.  Of all the things the virus is preventing me from doing, being able to try Van Leeuwen might be at the top of my list.

17 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Until that fateful load of Jeni's arrived at my house...

...Living near Boston just about all my adult life, I've learned that New Englanders take their ice cream very seriously and there are a number of excellent local stands in my area....

Unlike Van Leeuwen, there are several Jeni's locations in Chicago so I can make a point of more further investigating them.

When I was visiting my cousin near Boston we went to Rockport to get ice cream and wander around. The true revelation was discovering the new-to-me flavor of Coffee Oreo.  Apparently a New England thing?  It was yumm and I'm sad I can't get that flavor in the Midwest.

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

...you mentioned Vienna - which ice cream shops there do you like? My friend and I used to go to buy ice cream at Schwedenplatz quite often, they have like 30 different flavours and also vegan options, they are also good! I can very much recommend that one. Or also Eisgreissler, these small greenish ice cream shops in Austria that have very innovative flavours, for example poppy, that one was good.

I can't remember their names. I suspect if you plopped me down in front of Stephansdom and if the places still are in business I could track them down.  But it wasn't necessarily any specific place or kind of ice cream.  Instead, its as much the idea of the ice cream concoctions you can get in Austria and Germany - the ones in the big tall clear glass dishes with several flavors and whipped cream and those waffer cookies and syrup and nuts - as the actual ice cream. I love the experience and the look of the dishes and the menus with all the pictures of the possibilities as much as I do actually eating them! You just can't get things like that here.  So just the idea that you can wander around Vienna and go to any number of places and get things like that is what I loved.

Favorite flavor at my local ice cream shop is Oreo Speedwagon, it's Coffee ice cream with chunks of Oreo and OMFG is it incredible.  For my birthday my wife had the shop make me a cake with a layer Oreo Speedwagon ice cream on the top and bottom, with chocolate cake sandwiched in between and it was all covered in fondant.......it was amazing, I ate probably 2/3 of the cake myself lol

5 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

So clearly I need to try Van Leeuwen.  Sadly I looked at their website and its not available in Chicago at all.   There is some suburban grocery chain that carries it but I have no way of getting out there.  And they aren't shipping direct right now.  Sad.  So very sad.  Of all the things the virus is preventing me from doing, being able to try Van Leeuwen might be at the top of my list.

Unlike Van Leeuwen, there are several Jeni's locations in Chicago so I can make a point of more further investigating them.

Hah! Neither are available in Canada, sadly. Unfortunately, when you look them up, both founders have written recipe books so a person’s hopes are raised and then dashed. Available on.line for delivery at Walmart indeed!

We do have some amazing ice cream shops in Toronto, though. This thread wants me to go off and get some wonderful pints and put back on those pounds I’ve tried so hard to lose this year!

6 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I can't remember their names. I suspect if you plopped me down in front of Stephansdom and if the places still are in business I could track them down.  But it wasn't necessarily any specific place or kind of ice cream.  Instead, its as much the idea of the ice cream concoctions you can get in Austria and Germany - the ones in the big tall clear glass dishes with several flavors and whipped cream and those waffer cookies and syrup and nuts - as the actual ice cream. I love the experience and the look of the dishes and the menus with all the pictures of the possibilities as much as I do actually eating them! You just can't get things like that here.  So just the idea that you can wander around Vienna and go to any number of places and get things like that is what I loved.

Oh, you don't get that wherever you are? This is so sad, this is what a cup of ice cream is supposed to look like. ;) You get these in many European countries, I think. Don't you usually put waffle sticks and whipped cream on ice cream?

14 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I really love unusual regional flavors of ice cream. In New England, you can get a flavor called "Indian Pudding" that involves molasses and cornmeal, or frozen pudding, which is a kind of fancypants rum raisin but with many rum-soaked fruits. In Philly, you can get teaberry ice cream and it's great. I've never had Blue Moon ice cream (only found in Michigan and environs), but it's described as "the taste of the milk after you finished your bowl of Fruity Pebbles." 

New Englanders do love their molasses and corn meal. Those are key ingredients to anadama bread, which I'd never heard of until I lived here for a while.

Another thing I'd never heard of before becoming a New Englander was Grape Nut ice cream. I've never tried it myself though.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

We do have some amazing ice cream shops in Toronto, though. This thread wants me to go off and get some wonderful pints and put back on those pounds I’ve tried so hard to lose this year!

Be prepared to provide me with a list as soon as the virus is behind us.  I have cousins that will be sent there for 3 years once the borders are open and we can travel again.  They are equally obsessed with ice cream as I am.  And I know I will be visiting them.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh, you don't get that wherever you are? This is so sad, this is what a cup of ice cream is supposed to look like. ;) You get these in many European countries, I think. Don't you usually put waffle sticks and whipped cream on ice cream?

Just trust me when I say it is not the same.  There are certainly places here where you can get...what we would call "ice cream sundaes".  Most traditional would be a hot fudge sundae which would have whip cream, hot fudge, nuts and a cherry on top.  But the majority of places where this is available are more fast food ice cream type places where they are slapping it together and it looking like a work of art is not a priority.  On the other hand they are a couple of places that strive for instragram worthy creations but they are almost too much - with sprinkles and donuts and ten other toppings crammed on for appearance and its just an overload of sweetness.  It's a fine balance of ingredients and appearance and experience.  But just the idea that in Vienna you can be in the city center and have a choice of places to go, that is what I love.  In the city center of Chicago there is maybe one place that is what I am talking about (and even then its not that great and its super overpriced).  I have to travel to some different neighborhoods (none of them close or easy for me to get to) to get to a couple of different places here.

Good news, as shelves empty around the country in the latest round of viral panic buying:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-toiletpaper/panic-buying-of-toilet-paper-hits-u-s-stores-again-with-new-pandemic-restrictions-idUSKBN2802W3

In San Diego, internet marketer Melin Isa took note of renewed shortages during a recent ice cream run to her local Vons. “The TP aisle is bare. Big jugs of milk mostly gone. Lots of ice cream,” Isa said.

:thumbsup:

23 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

New Englanders do love their molasses and corn meal. Those are key ingredients to anadama bread, which I'd never heard of until I lived here for a while.

Another thing I'd never heard of before becoming a New Englander was Grape Nut ice cream. I've never tried it myself though.

I've tried Grape Nuts ice cream and it's OK. I would rather have frozen pudding, if I had the choice between those two flavors. 

On 11/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, lady narcissa said:

Be prepared to provide me with a list as soon as the virus is behind us.  I have cousins that will be sent there for 3 years once the borders are open and we can travel again.  They are equally obsessed with ice cream as I am.  And I know I will be visiting them.

Sadly, we’ll have to wait to see who survives. I expect the gelato places in Little Italy (both the original area along College and the one a bit further north on St. Clair) will make it, and I sure hope the trendy ones do too.

Archived