US Politics - And Now it Begins

Lollygag

On 11/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, DMC said:

Your points are impossible to divine.

Thought you might appreciate this reply I just got in the book forum...

8 hours ago, LynnS said:

Lollygag brings up the interesting idea that we can think of the doors of the House of Black and White as Blackwood and Whitewood.

@Lollygag always brings up something interesting.  So we've got House Blackwood tied to the weirwoods (white woods?).  Does it stop there or is there some inversion of this association for the shade of the evening trees?  Yah, she does that to my brain all the time.  

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Paul - the numbers guy - Ryan was a president in waiting, in the eyes of many. At this point I imagine 90% of Democrat voters would have loved a Paul Ryan presidency over the last 4 years rather than what you got. A Clinton presidency would have been preferrable, but Ryan or Trump isn't really even a choice one needs to think about.

Why did he leave again?

The primary power play again - he couldn't win because he wasn't Trumpy enough.

He's been on the board at Fox News and rumor says trying to push them off Trump and take him down that way. Weirdly, Matt Gaetz just endorsed Trump for 2024 and ranted against Dick Cheney and Paul Ryan implying they have some major pull in the party against Trump from behind the curtains. Liz Cheney is #3 in the House and her speakership is considered only a matter of time and Trump tiptoes around her.

20 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Paul - the numbers guy - Ryan was a president in waiting, in the eyes of many.

He was!  And then he agreed to be Speaker.  And now he's not even listed on Wikipedia's page for the 2024 presidential election, which lists about 30 potential Republican candidates including Eric Trump and the Lieutenant Governor of Texas.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

And I still think it's silly how scared some of you seem to be of Trump individually.  Hell, the apparent amount of ticket-splitters this cycle should be a clear indication that while the extremism bent of the GOP is anything but defeated, even a considerable portion of that electorate is ready if not eager to move on from Trump.

Close to 74 million people seem to disagree. And they're in a cult.

And yeah, Trump was fresh in 2016.  He may have flirted with running for president/office for decades, but the white nationalist tack was much different than previous iterations of Trump and only started with the Obama birth certificate horseshit.  I'd say that iteration of Trump began in earnest in 2011 when he first spoke at CPAC and became a weekly commentator of Fox & Friends (and, of course, that was the year of the WH correspondents dinner).

Or in other words, when he became the champion of birtherism. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Close to 74 million people seem to disagree. And they're in a cult.

:rolleyes:.  Thanks for the pointless recounting of the number of votes that contributes absolutely nothing.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Repeating the number of votes Trump got - like everyone's not already aware of that - does not contribute to the discussion, no.

We know the number of votes Trump got.

We also know what he has said and done over the last 5 years.

The fact 74 million Americans wanted more of that is a huge effing problem.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

It is compared to the GOP gaining ten seats in the House.

So in a sense, Trumpism may be stronger than Trump himself.

ETA: I mean, listen man, another bird is against you. Vicious creatures they are.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The fact 74 million Americans wanted more of that is a huge effing problem.

No one is arguing it isn't.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

So in a sense, Trumpism may be stronger than Trump himself.

If you want to call it Trumpism.  The fact it appears a considerable amount of voters voted for a GOP congressional candidate but not Trump suggests the perpetual centrifugal trend of the GOP that predates Trump will continue long after Trump.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

If you want to call it Trumpism.  The fact it appears a considerable amount of voters voted for a GOP congressional candidate but not Trump suggests the perpetual centrifugal trend of the GOP that predates Trump will continue long after Trump.

Why are you downplaying a person who took over a party and got more votes than anyone in his party had ever gotten? Moreover, reshaping into a cult based around him? 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Why are you downplaying a person who took over a party and got more votes than anyone in his party had ever gotten? Moreover, reshaping into a cult based around him? 

Because "he got more votes than anyone in his party had ever gotten" needs to be contextualized.  He got 47.2% of the vote, which is the exact same percentage as Romney.  I don't recall much fear of Mitt Romney in late November 2012.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because "he got more votes than anyone in his party had ever gotten" needs to be contextualized.  He got 47.2% of the vote, which is the exact same percentage as Romney.  I don't recall much fear of Mitt Romney in late November 2012.

Of course not. Who would fear Romney?

He was one milquetoast motherfucker.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Did Romney have a cult like following?

Archived